Dive Resorts in Subic Bay

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just to add, with a little more recent info....

Johan's is a pedigree dive center, with a great dive team. A laid-back resort atmosphere, with decent food and a good selection of imported drinks/beers. Located in Baloy Beach - there are no 'girlie bars' are permitted in that area, although the off-shore 'floating bars' manage to circumvent that regulation.

To set people's expectations correctly...
Johan's might be a PEDIGREE dive center in Subic but it's not even close compared to other dive shops like one operated out of Shangri-La on Mactan Island.

No dock to get in and out of the boat easily, no dedicated shower areas, nice big tubS of water for BCD and expensive gear, no big boats with tank holds. etc.

They are laid-back and good dive team catering to Europeans.
If you're not, might not be as comfortable.

They have one, two tank dives per day.
The don't go out at specific times nor start early.

I would say Subic bay is for older European males to go for girls, diving second.

Just came back from Subic on exploratory trip and didn't get to dive with other shops like Devon.
The visibility is so poor I will try other places like Coron before diving here again.

There is people with money in Subic.
So I am surprised I wasn't able to find a premium dive shop catering to the rich.
Perhaps the Japanese are less cost conscious and places servicing those are the most premium.

Stayed at sheavens VIP room cuz it seemed like it was the best in Subic area according to Trip Advisor.
But Wild Orchid is NOT on Trip Advisor at time of writing.
Wild Orchid is the best resort. (Biggest pool, newest room, most expensive) Not Treasure island or sheavens.
Blue rocks for food is very good for lunch and dinner but they're mediocre for breakfast.

Wild Orchid is about 4 stars at best but at 5 star prices because they don't have any other competition.

Johan's is a budget stay.

Johan's might be a PEDIGREE dive center in Subic but it's not even close compared to other dive shops like one operated out of Shangri-La on Mactan Island.
No dock to get in and out of the boat easily, no dedicated shower areas, nice big tubS of water for BCD and expensive gear, no big boats with tank holds. etc.
I would say Subic bay is for older European males to go for girls, diving second.
Just came back from Subic on exploratory trip and didn't get to dive with other shops like Devon.
The visibility is so poor I will try other places like Coron before diving here again.
So I am surprised I wasn't able to find a premium dive shop catering to the rich.
Perhaps the Japanese are less cost conscious and places servicing those are the most premium.
Stayed at sheavens VIP room cuz it seemed like it was the best in Subic area according to Trip Advisor.
But Wild Orchid is NOT on Trip Advisor at time of writing.
Wild Orchid is the best resort. (Biggest pool, newest room, most expensive) Not Treasure island or sheavens.
Blue rocks for food is very good for lunch and dinner but they're mediocre for breakfast.
Wild Orchid is about 4 stars at best but at 5 star prices because they don't have any other competition.
Johan's is a budget stay.
Johan's only charges P1,000.00 per dive. And there is a price list.
How much is Scotty in Shangri-La? If you can afford to dive/stay there then you don't ask!!!!!
"No premium dive shop catering to the rich" ? Because most of them could not dive in non-favourable conditions ie. poor viz.
"They(Johan's) don't go out in specific time nor start early"! That is Pinoy style? If you want army precision then you should try Germany or Switzerland! Having dive around SE Asia over last 16-17 yrs, I am amazed by your comment. But then I am not rich so I wouldn't know how the other side demands!!
Shall I remind you that the girlie bars scene along the National Highway only happened recently. Where have you been before that? BTW, don't tell me that Mactan island is devoided of sin!!!! And where do the rich in Manila go for the grils? Quezon Ave?

---------- Post added November 18th, 2013 at 12:52 PM ----------

When Paul Allen came to Philippines for diving, he brought his own yacht along. No need to worry about docking, dive schedule, food and accommodation etc etc!!!

I would imagine pedigree was meant in regards to their reputation as oppose to their facilities.
He is whinning that the rich has no 5* hotel to stay and the diving facilities are not up to his Pinoy's standard.
I wonder where does he normally dive in Philippines?

I've been there few times - didn't quite hit it off at Johan's, preferred the more laid-back dive shop at the Blue Rock, which is also nice place to stay, laid back, good foods and friendly staff.

You don't go to Subic for the viz, its about wreck diving, though towards the mouth of the bay, its better.

Johan caters for the more technical dives.

By "pedigree" I was referring to the operating quality of the dive center. Specifically, the high levels of safety, experienced dive staff and capability to support diving up to CCR Trimix... all of which are underpinned by Johan having some 27+ years of experience diving the wrecks of Subic.

All the dive centers in Subic operate the same way, with good reason. Firstly, they would not despoil the beach by building gross private jetties.. structures that would inevitably crumble after a few typhoon seasons. You walk 5m across the sandy beach and climb into a speedboat in knee deep water, only a tiny minority would consider that a 'hardship'. It would be utterly illogical to use 'big boats' - because the diving in Subic is 'a la carte' - short, fast, trips to nearby wrecks, done at the convenience of small parties, on demand. Big slow boats would be a moronic choice.

They receive a high proportion of guests from HK, Singapore, Taiwan, Korea etc... As do the other dive centers in the Bay - all of whom operate with the same model - relaxed diving, on demand, from fast, small boats to nearby wrecks.

They dive upon demand - one, two or three trips per day.. whatever. None of the (recreational) sites is more than a 10 minute trip by speedboat, so there is little need for a formal schedule.

They don't start early for two reasons;

First and foremost, because the dive centers need permission to dive a specific site at a specific time. Subic is a working port and is controlled tightly by the Harbor authority. That authority demands a faxed dive schedule and confirmation phone call before granting permission to dive. That happens for each dive trip. The Harbor authority office, along with seaport operator, conservation department, harbor patrol etc (all of whom need to grant permission for every trip...really!) tend not to work early...or at least, don't answer their fax/phone early. If you can't dive until you get permission, but you can't get permission early... then you can't dive early.

Secondly, the majority of divers who come to the Bay prefer not having to arise before dawn. They are on holiday.. and the dive trips are run to their preferences, not for the sake of maximizing revenue and running the greatest amount of shortest dives for profitability.

I would say that was a racist generalization...

Subic is obviously not the place to visit for spectacular visibility and pristine coral reefs. It is a brackish, river-fed bay, surrounded by mountains and jungle, deposited with meters of volcanic ash from Pinatubo, that is fortunately filled to the brim with historic, world-class, ship wrecks.

It is favored by European divers, because European divers tend to have an appreciation for wreck diving. It is, after all, the main diving activity we can do in Europe (coral reefs being scare in temperate waters...). It is also beloved by technical and advanced divers.. people who generally have little disposition towards aimless meandering about a reef with a state-of-the-art DSLR rig..

The diving in Subic is very small scale. Perhaps 1-2 dozen divers per day, max, spread across all of the dive centers. That simply does not reflect a market-demand to justify expensive, luxury, diving operations.

Now, if the Philippines could get serious about promoting tourism (by actions, not words) then things might change...

Generally, however, the Baloy/Barretto beach areas are primarily popular with westerners. SBMA is more popular with Filipinos and Koreans. Most westerners find SBMA to be very boring, the hotels there grossly over-priced for the quality of service and maintenance... and a lack of range with regard to restaurants (nearly all Filipino or Korean).

There are girls available everywhere, so it is unjust to say that they are the preserve of "Europeans". Yes, there are 'girl bars' in the primarily western areas. In the 'Filipino/Korean' popular areas there are no 'girl bars'... just lots of "waitress KTV" establishments. Same, same, but different... let's not fly a moral flag on that...it'd be hypocritical..

people who generally have little disposition towards aimless meandering about a reef with a state-of-the-art DSLR rig..

Wouldn't the aim be to take some pictures if they had a camera with them :wink:

In Puerto Galera anyways for every "girly bar" that has "European" customers there is a "karaoke bar" that is frequented by Filipinos. The trouble is that they make too many well connected people money so it is unlikely for them to get closed down in the near future to attract a more wholesome crowd.

In Puerto Galera anyways for every "girly bar" that has "European" customers there is a "karaoke bar" that is frequented by Filipinos. The trouble is that they make too many well connected people money so it is unlikely for them to get closed down in the near future to attract a more wholesome crowd.
The "girlie bars scene" in PG has became such a good business because of large influx of Koreans! It was never like that yrs ago!!!
Alona Beach could be next !!! I hope I am wrong.

Wouldn't the aim be to take some pictures if they had a camera with them

Aim and outcome can sometimes differ... :wink:

The "girlie bars scene" in PG has became such a good business because of large influx of Koreans!

Korea must be part of Europe then? And America (according to some)... :rofl3:

He is whinning that the rich has no 5* hotel to stay and the diving facilities are not up to his Pinoy's standard.
I wonder where does he normally dive in Philippines?

Savedra in Moalboal runs a nice shop with plenty of space to hang and store your equipment.
Nice rinse tanks, shower areas, restrooms, etc.
They run 3? or 4 dives a day on schedule so it's easy to pick a time and go.
They're 1000 pesos per dive.

Asia Divers in Puerto Galera runs a nice shop with plenty of space, nice dock, storage area and boats on regular schedule.
They're about 1000 pesos per dive.

There many other dive shops all over Philippines that runs a nice operation at reasonable price.

PREMIUM shop would be like one operated out of Shangri-La.
Where it means almost everything is... premier.

Not sure what whinning means. I'm not whining about anything.
"I wonder where does he normally dive in Philippines?" I don't know you and you don't know me. I don't WANT to know you and I don't want you to know me.
This is SCUBA boards about scuba.

"facilities are not up to his Pinoy's standard." *sigh*

The place was packed with the old guy with young Filipino girl everywhere.
Lots of non-divers with Filipino girl. I don't know how anybody can deny that.

Radisson Blu in Cebu which is away from dive shops, but still only 30 minutes away next to SM Mall is a 5 star hotel at a very reasonable price.
I stayed there for about 3000 pesos per night which is cheaper than Wild Orchid.

Talking to other divers, I guess the bay was more clear before a volcano erupted and reduced the visibility of the water.
Not sure which one and when.
I am also not sure how much Typhoon Haiyan churned up the water.

Almost everywhere you go in the world, anywhere you stay, you have a group of people hyping up a place and defending a place like it was their child. It's EVERYWHERE. Just read a few tripadvisor reviews.
This thread is an example.
I don't think these people do that place any favors.
Tempering expectations and having the traveller finding better than expectation leads to great trip and great endorsements.

"Pinoy's standard."
Am I being called Pinoy? If so... Yes I am! lol

Back
Top Bottom