Dive rite BP/W set up question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

blue steal

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I am looking at the Dive Rite set up and have a couple of questions.
Here is the set up I am considereing:
1.Harness, Deluxe BC1080
2.DR Backplate, SS BC2116
3.Travel EXP Wing BC4100
4.Tank Straps 36" BC2034-36
5.Assembley screws RP9502PAIR
6. Crotch strap and loop, 1" BC1056D

Question?
I noticed the SS backplate only comes in one size. They give size as 10.5x15.5 and weight of aprrox. 5lb. Will this fit me at 5'11''?
The assembley screws are to mount the wing to the backplate to keep it from slipping when you need to remove the unit. Do these screws work well at securing the wing?
Does the travel EXP work well with the SS plate?
I am pretty sure 27lb of lift is going to be enough for me for rec. diving.
I dive warm water and wear a 3/2 shortie with 12 lb of weight with an AL80
I also dive cold water wearing a 7mmfullsuit/hood/gloves and use 24 lb. (with AL80), on a weight belt, but am switching to a steel HP100 so the weight can go down -6 for the tank and maybe another -5 with the SS plate.
Thanks......................

Question?
I noticed the SS backplate only comes in one size. They give size as 10.5x15.5 and weight of aprrox. 5lb. Will this fit me at 5'11''?
The assembley screws are to mount the wing to the backplate to keep it from slipping when you need to remove the unit. Do these screws work well at securing the wing?
I also dive cold water wearing a 7mmfullsuit/hood/gloves and use 24 lb. (with AL80), on a weight belt, but am switching to a steel HP100 so the weight can go down -6 for the tank and maybe another -5 with the SS plate.

I'm 6' with a short torso and the SS plate fits me fine.

Those screws do fine at securing the wing. Whey you put on the tank and attach it with the cam bands, that is what really secures the tank. Between the tank bands and the screws, you can absolutely grab the rig by the wing.

I've use the Oxycheq wing with the SS DR plate just fine. It makes for a fine warm water rig.

With this setup you'll be able to drop 11#'s off your belt as you describe above. I believe you had another thread going where 100 folks chimed in on the math.

The on thing I may suggest is looking at the STA. I used the the slots on the plate to secure the tank as you are planning to do. The only think I didn't like was that the tank, round, was trying to rest on these two little screws. Inevitably the tank was on one side or the other of the screw, not centered on the plate, or it was on one side of one screw and on the other of the second, centered on plate but a bit off angle compared to the plate. The STA will replace the screws. It will make the rig another pound or two negative, but you can remove that from your belt.

Good luck!

I have that exact setup except on thing..I would suggest the 2" crotch strap. I find it much more comfortable than the 1" - YMMV I guess.

Personally I would go with a regular HOG harness simple and cheaper. No reason to have extra fluff that is not needed. The Chest strap on the deluxe harness is not needed and often gets in the way of a drysuit inflator valve. I would also agree on the 2" crotch strap.

FWIW I used to use a stainless plate and replaced it with an aluminum for doubles (Head heavy). I use a Freedom Plate exclusively for my singles rig.

I have the Halcyon Eclipse I My G/F and I bought the SS backplate when they only had size the "Standard" she is 5'5 and I am 5'9 and have no issues with the BP not fitting also have a friend who is 6' same thing no issues on fit.

I am looking at the Dive Rite set up and have a couple of questions.
Here is the set up I am considereing:
1.Harness, Deluxe BC1080
2.DR Backplate, SS BC2116
3.Travel EXP Wing BC4100
4.Tank Straps 36" BC2034-36
5.Assembley screws RP9502PAIR
6. Crotch strap and loop, 1" BC1056D

Question?

Hi Blue Steel,

Thanks for the post. Yes, a standard backplate will fit you just fine. In fact, you have the ideal height for most standard scuba equipment. Yes, the assembly screws attach the backplate to the wing, however I have to agree with another post that recommends the STA. If you get the Single Tank Adapter, you don't need the Assembly Screws. You can try it without, but most prefer the STA.

BC2035 is a set of cam straps and will be cheaper than buying them separately with the BC2034 part number.

The Travel EXP will work well for both your rig set-ups. Good choice. Oh and the Deluxe Harness is a nice choice, too. The chest strap actually works in conjunction with the shoulder straps on the pivot rings to make sure your rig fits more like a backpack, dispersing weight properly across the back and hips vs. pulling against the shoulders as will happen with a basic harness. The basic harness is a fine choice, too, just a comparison to be aware of.

Best,
Kathleen

Thanks Kathleen for the information. I am leaning more towards the deluxe harness for the reasons you stated. I am only a recreational diver, but I do like comfort as my shoulders are bony.

Hi,
I dive just about all of what you are looking at.

I use the SS plate with the STA , much better hold on the cylinder.

I have both the BC1080 and the BC1080Q, I use the BC1080 for my doubles, and the BC1080Q for my singles set ups. I like the way the delux harness fits me better than the HOG set up. I have a bad right wing, and having the delux harness I don't get shoulder pain like I did with a HOG set up.

I am 5'11' and 214lbs.

Good luck ,

Jim Breslin

Personally I would go with a regular HOG harness simple and cheaper. No reason to have extra fluff that is not needed. The Chest strap on the deluxe harness is not needed and often gets in the way of a drysuit inflator valve.

I have to disagree. The chest strap is a must. Without it I found my shoulder straps slipping, but the chest strap makes the whole rig feel snug. And I dive dry, and it doesn't get in the way of my inflator.

I have to disagree. The chest strap is a must. Without it I found my shoulder straps slipping, but the chest strap makes the whole rig feel snug. And I dive dry, and it doesn't get in the way of my inflator.

Have you even tried a HOG harness? Do you use a crotch strap?

The chest strap may clear your drysuit inflator, but I have read of a few people that it has gotten in the way.

Back
Top Bottom