Dive-Rite Duo Failure

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FWIW, on the Cressi version I did sseveral Google searches including words like malfunction, defect, returned and so on. The only problem I could find was some bad log entries would show up on occasion. That post is in this forum.

The whold thing is kind of strange as Seiko has made all sorts of dive computers for Diverite, and others without a lot of problems.

Anyway, UPS should bring the Cressi today, but I will probably not get to dive it for about a month. If anything goes wacko, I will post here.

Edit:

Update, the Archimede II is here. At least it is not DOA. Got to get wet somehow.

Re: Aladdins

My first one lasted 7 years and 600 or so dives. The battery read 44% just before it quit. It never gave a low battery warning, just err. When I separated the unit from the holder/strap the oil leaked out. I gave some thought to replacing the battery, but tested the old one and it read 3.6v, which is spec, so my conclusion is the computer died. I personally think the high battery relacement costs are a stealth recall.

My hockey puck Aladdin Tec made it almost one year and about 110 dives. It started acting crazy and I sent it back.

No double about it there was a high failure rate with the Duo/Quantum in early units. However I am willing to take a chance on the Cressi for only $255 and I will have 2 computers, and a watch.

So far all technical dives have been done using a run time plan on a slate. that is how the agencies teach it, and I am not ready for anything else yet.

I have seen every brand of computer malfunction, but my impression is that Suunto is a bit more reliable than the rest. Even so, there is enough that I don't like about them to not have one. Years ago I lost count of how many Oceanic/Aeris meters were not working on a boat somewhere or other, but the Mermaid's el cheapo puck is going after 7 years. A dive operator (who regularly posts on this board) paid $150 to replace the battery in his Stinger after 150 dives.

Give this a thought, the minimum water Resistance for a dive watch is usually thought to be 200 meters, with many offering 300 or more meters even though few will ever go deeper than the shower. For a dive computer certain to be used at depth, you are lucky to see 150 meters.

ZOMBIE THREAD!!!!! :eek:

FWIW, on the Cressi version I did sseveral Google searches including words like malfunction, defect, returned and so on. The only problem I could find was some bad log entries would show up on occasion. That post is in this forum.

The whold thing is kind of strange as Seiko has made all sorts of dive computers for Diverite, and others without a lot of problems.

Anyway, UPS should bring the Cressi today, but I will probably not get to dive it for about a month. If anything goes wacko, I will post here.

Edit:

Update, the Archimede II is here. At least it is not DOA. Got to get wet somehow.
Some say pure paraffin others say silicone oil. A company in the USA use paraffin clear peerless lamp oil. It’s works as I had mine service when I was in Malaysia. But this time it arrived dead. Only to find when I got a refund and opened it it was the battery solder come away. I re soldered. Set the err but I was short of oil as you need allot to get rid of any bubbles. I bought paraffin after reading and being told by this company it’s what they used. Fine it’s ok. However when I contacted scuba pro who took over uwatec they said it not paraffin. That more Lilly croup the mother board. They charge £105 . Include computer calibration.
Pure silicon oil I think would be better as it’s not toxic . ? Anyone using silicone oil. Please let us know if everything works fine ?
To be honest. It was easier to by an up grade Aladdin Nitrox fully charged on eBay for £98 good as new. But I will dive with two computers to make sure.

Anyone reading this. I know how to also use the memo mouse on a Mac book pro windows computer or later on virtual machine.

Back
Top Bottom