Dive Rite or Scuba Pro

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think you have missed the strongest point in favor of the Dive Rites...The rebuild kits are available from DR no questions asked, and they are simple and easy to work on. The SP are difficult to come by, and I am told the MK20/25 are quite "fiddly" to work on. The amount you can save over time is huge, plus you know its done right, and on time.

I own lots of SP regs and own no dive rites but I have used many many dive rite regs and really they seem about the same. However I have not used the scubapro regs you owned so I cant compare as they are much different from the dive rites. If I lost all my regs tomorrow they would be replaced with dive rites and if all my other gear got lost to much of it would be replaces with dive rites. other companies make good regs to and for your conditions most anything could suite you well. look at OMS, salvo, atomic, etc.

Oh and I dont know why people pick a different second stage for an octo, sb members have debated it but I always say get the same seconds for you primary and octo. T

Dive Rite's cutting edge technology is more well known regarding dive computers.

They are currently working on a new helium tech computer at the moment.

Their last such product was the Nitek HE, which is no longer produced, but which is still very much in use and in demand.

I would not hesitate to try out their regs, if I did not already own a whole slew of ScubaPro's.

So, the question at hand, is Dive Rite comparable to Scuba Pro, at least the aforementioned models?
/QUOTE]

Dive Rite has some decent regs manufactured by offshore vendors, the same used by Salvo, etc. Their latest regs seem to be made by Beauchat.

ScubaPro regs are serviced world wide w/o a problem.

I own and use both brands. I travel with my ScubaPro regs and a save a dive first and second stage parts kit.

For your stated use, SP gets my vote.

good question, sorry for not providing this information. I do predominantly warm water, Caribbean type diving. I also do some Florida Spring diving where the water is 68F. I do not do any cave diving, wreck penetration diving or tech deep diving. I am taking a cavern class in April which will be taught in the Florida Springs but the purpose of the class is to hone my skills and learn additional safety diving procedures. I "may" so some cavern diving after that but that will probably be secondary to my normal open water Caribbean diving.
I likely will not service the regs myself. And yes, most of my diving is done in foreign countries.

Happy New Year Everyone. Dive Safe.

OK, now we are getting somewhere.

For the type of diving you anticipate:

1. Everyday recreational
2.Warm water
3.Foreign Travel

Here are my recommendations and why:

You want a regulator brand that has a good track record for keeping parts available for each model for a long time.
Of course unless you intend to DIY (you have stated this is not the case) you also want a regulator that can be serviced by your local dive shop and lots of locations in the world. The two best companies in both regards are Aqualung and ScubaPro. AL is not on your list.

My recommendation for the average recreational diver, i.e. not freezing water, 150 feet or less, is a simple non balanced piston 1st stage such as the Scuba Pro MK 2 , there are other manufacturers with similar designs. This simple design is usually inexpensive see http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?product_id=MK2-1st, is nearly bullet proof, easy to get parts for and serviced easily as well as easy to DYI because it requires only a few o-rings and a seat. Yes, the unbalanced design will increase the breathing effort at low tank pressure, but I view this as a good thing especially for new or inexperienced divers. Here is a good thread http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/regulators/87374-scuba-pro-r190-2.html Additionally, if/when one wants to start more advanced diving where high concentrations of oxygen will be used this type regulator can be moved to that application.

For a second stage I like an adjustable and balanced unit. This provides the ability to have the regulator tuned to minimum inhalation resistance with the option of the diver increasing the resistance it if he/she finds the need to. An old Balanced Adjustable if my personal favorite, but if you are looking for a new regulator the G250v is the way to go.

It is a good idea to have the same manufactures 1st and 2nd stage to make getting service less complicated, additionally, you already have one SP set up and probably know where to get service.

One last thing...............Geaux Tigers!!!!..........

More of Bringing Italy to America (a seperate thread)

If you're interested in the Dive Rite 3000, I am a dealer. I will tell you right up front that we're a new shop and we're in the process of testing Dive Rite. We have not made any hard decisions yet on their quality. The RG3000 will be tested on January 1st at 100 ft in 38 degree water. We will post our real world experience with it once we've dove it.

In the meantime, the Scubapro's are a choice I would feel very comfortable with. Although we do not sell it, it is a top notch regulator. Have a look at the thread I started to find out more.

As for the person who stated "To my knowledge, no full-line scuba company does all of the manufacturing in-house." that is not true. Cressi-sub makes nearly everything in house with one exception (their computers.)

If you do go with Scubapro... I'd go with the Mk16 S550 or the MK25 G250HP. I'd trust these regs anywhere and I'll follow back up on the Dive Rite RG3000 after the 1st...

Happy Diving

As for the person who stated "To my knowledge, no full-line scuba company does all of the manufacturing in-house." that is not true. Cressi-sub makes nearly everything in house with one exception (their computers.)

With all due respect, that makes no sense.......

I own both Scubapro and Dive Rite regs. For first stages I personally prefer the Scubapro MK25's just for their hose routing configuration.

I have mixed emotions about my 2nd stages. I like my S600 on the long hose as it's slightly smaller than my Dive Rite RG2010. On long dives I barely notice the S600. I do notice the RG2010 since it's larger than the Scubapro.

I purchased the RG2010 when I needed bungied back up, it was dirt cheep, and I was short on cash. I intended to sell it and replace it with another S600, but it breathes so well I decided to keep it. It breathes just as effortlessly as the S600 and it's actually a little more resistant to freeflowing.

I have a DR Hurricane set (RG3500?), some other DR 2nd stage (1210 or 2010, I forget), and SP MK10, MK25, G250 and S600, I had the RG2500 but sold it when I got the Hurricane.

They are all great regs and can do way more than my single tank open water laid back dives. If I had to pick the best I'd say the hurricane. But the S600 is nice and small. I'd guess that most regs today are excellent, and it really comes down to service for most people. Then there's the cost issue...

Back
Top Bottom