Dive Rite or Scuba Pro

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The brands and models I am considering are either a Dive Rite RG2500 and Dive Rite Standard Octo ... OR.....a Scuba Pro MK11 with a R395 and R295 as an Octo.
I do not recall ever seeing anyone boast about Dive Rite regs here and I wonder why.
Now before you all reply with the question that if I have never had any problems with Scuba Pro why am I considering Dive Rite, the answer is since Dive Rite supported divers way back when, I wish to support them now.
(back when Sheck Exley was doi

The deciding factor would be "Who has the best local service near you?"

Regs need service now and then, and you might want to have it adjusted if you find that it breathes too hard or freeflows or otherwise misbehaves.

It's a lot nicer to stop in somewhere convenient that does good work than it is to box it up and ship it out.

Terry

Terry

I have always used Scuba Pro regs and never have had a problem. Recently, my son got certified and I gave him my reg set up so I am looking to get one for me.
The brands and models I am considering are either a Dive Rite RG2500 and Dive Rite Standard Octo ... OR.....a Scuba Pro MK11 with a R395 and R295 as an Octo.
I do not recall ever seeing anyone boast about Dive Rite regs here and I wonder why.
Now before you all reply with the question that if I have never had any problems with Scuba Pro why am I considering Dive Rite, the answer is since Dive Rite supported divers way back when, I wish to support them now.
(back when Sheck Exley was doing his record setting deep dives and record setting cave dives, it was Dive Rite that often provided gear. These dives significantly helped in the development of new and improved equipment and methods)
So, the question at hand, is Dive Rite comparable to Scuba Pro, at least the aforementioned models?

Thank you and HAPPY NEW YEAR to Everyone. Dive Safe

It sounds like you want to support Dive rite as a company, that's fair enough. I'd be stunned if their reg did not perform perfectly adequately for rec diving. They don't build any of their stuff so you can sometimes find identical gear with different brand names. I think the SP MK11 is the "new" MK16, the non-sealed diaphragm 1st. I'm sure it's also perfectly fine for rec diving, so the choice is yours. You're not going to go wrong either way. I buy regs differently; old and used!

I buy regs differently; old and used!

Stop giving people advice to buy old and used.:no (there's too many of us trying to outbid each other for those BAs already :lotsalove:)

couv

From my understanding, you can't really go wrong with either of them here in the U.S. I believe SP has more of a worldwide market and it might be easier to get service in oogaboogaland or wherever.

I do find it interesting that my LDS is a dive rite dealer but sells mostly Zeagle and Poseidon regulators. That could just be a business decision for all I know.

If I were offered either a SP or a DR reg for free I don't think I would really care as they are both great brands and would be just fine. Although I wouldn't want a MK 2 first stage on my back gas.

ok, Spaceman Spiff, could it be that your LDS is in Florida? I think if I owned a Dive Shop in Florida, I would welcome Florida manufacturers; unless, their products were poor quality, unsafe or had a bad reputation.
Both Zeagle and Dive Rite have good reputations so why not get the immediate recognition? Plus you support a local company, woo hoo, cant go wrong there.

Thanks to all of you who responded with suggestions, support or ideas. I forgive those of you who highjacked the thread, maybe you couldnt help yourself.
I ordered the Dive Rite regs from Scuba Toys. They will assemble them and test them before shipping out. My only concern is service in ,, what was that? Hoogarboogarland? I may just buy some rebuild kits and keep them in my save a dive box. Of course, those are for emergency use only, I am not a tech and would feel uncomfortable at 60 fsw breathing on a reg I serviced.
As for local service, my LDS rapes me when servicing my Scuba Pro regs even though SP's warranty says parts are free. Scuba Toys services regs for 50 bucks with free parts.
Happy New Year to Everyone.

Updates on Regs...

The Cressi-sub Ellipse Alaska free-flowed and froze at 84 ft in 36 degree water today on a test at Bainbridge Quarry in Pennsylvania. Our final evaluation of this regulator is that it is a great regulator in Warm water, but does not deserve the name Alaska and can not be taken seriously as a cold water regulator. It is a great breather and provides excellent breathing at all recreational depths in water above 60 degrees Farenheit.

The new Dive Rite RG3000 faired much better. While a slight free flow started at 84' in 36 degree water, it was quickly fixed before freezing by adjusting the external adjustment control. After adjustung the regulator continued to perform with no further issues. We suspect this is a regulator capable of competing with the cold water Scubapro and Apeks models...

It should be noted that the Cressi-sub was tuned down internally (less flow) prior to this dive and still cold not avoid free-flowing and freezing at depth in cold water.

Now you have the answers... Happy Diving

I love my DR regulator. I haven't gotten to extreme with it, but it performed great at 80ft in 38 degree water. No real effort in breathing difference from the top to the bottom. I am a big DR fan. Just about everything except my fins, mask and dry suit are DR. Now not all decisions were made due to performance only, obviously price was an issue as well, but I can say honestly that I plan on using my Dive Rite equipment till it can't be used anymore due to wearing out and I have confidence in the equipment I have. I have the 2500 and now I'm looking at the 3000 for a second set for doubles.

What about Sherwood I've been looking at the Maximus or the Blizzard

I owned A sherwood magnum it was a pretty reliable reg,but i dive Scuba Pro Now .
My choice would be a scuba pro MK 2 /R395 For Most Diving Very Afforible and Very Reliable.
Tech and cold water diving? I would choose Scubapro MK 17/G250 Vintage

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom