Hog D1 or Dive rite RG3100

• RG3100

Votes: 7 53.8%
  • D1

Votes: 6 46.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm not sure, I only have Dive Rite kits. I've never seen the HOG ones. They're probably similar, HOG might just sell theirs at a bigger discount.

-Mitch

Any thoughts as to why the hog service kits are so much cheaper?

Their business model is based on people servicing their own regs

I was just sorting through my gear and thought I'd add that the Dive Rite regulators come with a carry bag and a DIN/Yoke adapter.
They also have a soft front cover.

The HOG regs have a hard front cover, and offer the soft cover for an additional $10.

Since your comparing them, it's worth considering the extras.

-Mitch

One needs to also take into consideration that the price difference is significant. For example I sell the HOG singles kit that has the D-1 cold 1st, 2 (that's two) HOG seconds, a 7 ft hose, a 22 inch hose, a DIN to yoke adapter, and a bolt snap for the primary for 449.00 and if it's in the CONUS shipping is on me.

The Dive Rite from a dealer like Dive Gear Express is 423 for one 1st, one second, a bag, and an 84 inch hose and the D to Y adapter. add a 22 inch hose and an additional second stage and the price increases by 169.00 or so. They price that with a 40 inch hose, a 22 will be a little less. So an increase to 592.

In addition there is no need to buy different versions for nitrox or O2. All HOG regs are O2 clean out of the box. 100% to 2400 PSI and 80% to 3400 PSI.

I have Dive Rite and HOG regulators and they are both great regs.

I started diving with Aqua Lung regs and it was fine only paying to service one reg a year. However, my diving progressed and I bought yoke first stage for traveling and a second first and second stage to use on a pony bottle. So now I'm up to three first stages that I need to pay to get serviced every year. Still not to bad, but when I progressed into tech diving I decided to go with Dive Rite regs as they freely sell service kits and having to pay to get 5+ regs serviced was too much IMO. Recently I finally started selling off my Aqua Lung regs and have switched to HOG's for my single regs, both due to the price and reputation. I'll probably keep the Dive Rites for my tech diving as I still have service kits but any additional regs will be HOG.

I couldn't be happier with my HOG's, they breathe just as well if not better than any of my other regs, they sell service kits and offer training classes to service your own reg and the price and service can't be beat. For example, I sent a PM to Jim on Sunday because I needed another reg by this weekend and he worked with HOG to get it to me on time (just put it together 10 minutes ago) and at a great price as well. Thanks Jim!

So long story short, if I had to do it again I'd go with the HOG's. However, you can't really go wrong with either reg.

Cave Adventures has the D1 Cold (5th port) for $290, if you want the soft front cover it's another $10.

The Dive Rite 3000 Ice is $349 with a regulator bag and yoke adapter.
The Dive Rite 3100 Ice (5th port) w/ reg bag and yoke adapter is $403.

The Dive Rite (also O2 clean) is more money, and you may or may not need the bag or adapter. If you don't have DIN valves on your tanks then you'll need an adapter, they'll cost you $40. The HOG reg prices I mentioned above don't include the adapter. The package deal Jim mentions above sweetens the deal because it includes one.

All my tanks are DIN so I only need my yoke adapter if I'm traveling.

Really, you'd be happy with either one.

We're lucky to have the choices.

-Mitch

I bought the HOG entirely for their service kit policy. Otherwise, I wouldn't have switched from my Mk10/109, which in a lot of ways I still prefer.

I did the same, I had two sets of Mk25/S600's. I went past my "required" service interval and had to pay more at that time, the same happened to some friends. I flipped an Aqua Lung reg for the same reason. I liked the Scubapro regs a lot, but I really didn't like the way the maintenance/"free" parts game is played. Good thing, because I don't live anywhere near a Scubapro dealer these days.

I decided I wasn't going to play that game and bought three Dive Rite regs and three sets of parts kits.

I also have some Poseidon regs but I don't have to play any service "games" with them.

-Mitch

I def. like the Dive Rite a lot more. It's a great reg.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom