dive shop wants advanced nitrox for mixes other than 32 or 36

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Or don't name the shop. There are a lot of misunderstandings out there about NitrOx, even after so many years. I was in a shop here in the Keys where one person refused to fill my tank with anything but air because, 1) it did not have any NitrOx stickers on it and 2) it didn't have an O2 clean sticker on it. Rly? I had to think about the sticker for a bit, and I think I agreed with them. All my tanks now have a NitrOx sticker on them. However, one of the reasons I go to them is because they have premixed NitrOx and it's between 30% and 32% and there's just no need to be O2 clean for that. I just don't trust partial pressure blending after being poisoned years ago. We also have another shop here in the Keys that requires you to analyse any tank that has a NitrOx label on it. The kicker is that they only provide air (Grade E, Modified). I thought that was GREAT!

If it were me, I would ask them if it made a difference if you had a PDC or if you could show them that you are capable of diving any mix of NitrOx on a table. Try to reason with them and if they won't be reasonable, then your option is to find another venue for odd mixes. Personally, 32% has always been my go to gas. Unless I am using it for deco and then it's either 50% or 100%, but that's another discussion.

They probably have banks of nx32 and nx36 and selling these is a profitable(ish) business. Special mixes requires a gas blenders attention, and work costs. Maybe presenting a VISA-diver card helps?

Advanced nitrox divers require nx50 and tmx divers O2. They probably want to offer nx50 and O2 to look good, but they have limited resources. Either you actually need these mixes (and have been certified) or you get a new cert.

nx32 is an excellent choice down to 30m. Are you diving deeper?

It does not matter if he's diving deeper. Maybe he has his own ppo2 level that he's comfortable with and wants to mix for the bottom on say a dive where he may be doing most of it at 115 but wants to have the cushion when it's 130 to the sand. Personally I like 28% for something like that and also want to take other factors such a temperature, workload, etc into account. If the shop only offers banked mixes of 32 & 36 then they are not getting my business. But if they do partial or continuous blend then there is no reason other than ignorance or.greed for them to deny me a blend that they are capable of doing and that I am trained for. I don't have an advanced nitrox card yet, but teach a nitrox course through SEI and TDI that covers everything that is included in the Adv Nitrox course. They are going to deny someone like that a 28%, 30%, or even 40% fill?

Or my student that has just completed the class and is qualified for nitrox from 21%-40%? If so then that is stupid number one, and then say you need a adv card, which we happen to offer(surprise, surprise!) then that's just greedy and unethical as hell. They should be ashamed of themselves.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

The good news is, Miami has several shops to choose from. So you can go elsewhere for your business.

which is why we want to know which shop it is??? gear is one thing, flat out lying to me is another....
if all you have is banked that's fine... just be honest & don't BS me to up your class cash.

not filling with a nitrox sticker i guess is one thing - although if you can show your nitrox card or better, umm) and if they do partial pressure i can see the wanting O2 clean...

was just re-reading the original post again --- most rec divers trained within the past few years dive computers rather than tables -- and even the PADI nitrox course teaches how to figure any blend from 21 to 40, they just went cheap on the tables providing 32/36 cause that's what you generally find banked.

wow ... a lot of discussion between the time I posted and got back to a computer. I'll refrain from naming the shop. I go to them because they are nearest to my house by far. They don't bank nitrox (as far as I know), they partial pressure blend. I really don't get it. I've been told of this rule by two different employees neither of which can really explain it. Apparently it's a rule that the manager or owner has tried to put in place. The argument they've tried to use is that a "basic" nitrox course only teaches you (or provides you) with tables for 32% and 36%.

When I went in yesterday, they specifically asked for an "advanced nitrox" card. When I told them that my PADI card clearly stated MAX 40% with no other restrictions, the employee there relented and took my tanks to be filled. I'm still hoping to run into the manager one day for hopefully a better explanation.

Maybe he is banking the EANx and doesn't want the (admittedly small) hassle of doing custom blends?

wow ... a lot of discussion between the time I posted and got back to a computer. I'll refrain from naming the shop. I go to them because they are nearest to my house by far. They don't bank nitrox (as far as I know), they partial pressure blend. I really don't get it. I've been told of this rule by two different employees neither of which can really explain it. Apparently it's a rule that the manager or owner has tried to put in place. The argument they've tried to use is that a "basic" nitrox course only teaches you (or provides you) with tables for 32% and 36%.
I did the SSI Nitrox course just a few months ago and they do give you tables and everything else you need for any mix up to 40%. SSI also offers a cert for only up to 32%, but even then it's not just 32%, but rather anything up to 32%

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom