dive shop wants advanced nitrox for mixes other than 32 or 36

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

When I did nitrox class with NAUI there was a bit of work done on best mix calculations. Since then I've always calculated best mix and ordered what I wanted for a dive. Only when traveling where I couldn't get a specific mix have I used 32 or 36 since then.

I agree with the other guys.. this shop just wants to sell adv nitrox classes. I certainly hope that class covers a lot more than just best mix under 40%.

The SDI tables are for various mixes but for PO2 of 1.4 and 1.6. I added rows for 1.3 and 1.2 since I like to stay at or below 1.3.

I've been told of this rule by two different employees neither of which can really explain it. Apparently it's a rule that the manager or owner has tried to put in place. The argument they've tried to use is that a "basic" nitrox course only teaches you (or provides you) with tables for 32% and 36%.

When I went in yesterday, they specifically asked for an "advanced nitrox" card. When I told them that my PADI card clearly stated MAX 40% with no other restrictions, the employee there relented and took my tanks to be filled. I'm still hoping to run into the manager one day for hopefully a better explanation.

A good rule of thumb is that if someone can't explain why they want you to do something, then they don't really understand what they're talking about. Give those people all the credibility they deserve.

I can only speak for the NAUI course I teach, but although we do only provide tables for EAN32 and EAN36 (the so-called "standard mixes"), we also provide a "wheel" that allows you to determine MOD and EAD for any percentage from 21-40%. The training also includes mathematical formulas for basic dive planning functionality for any mix between air and EAN40.

Besides, most people dive with a computer that can be set to any EAN percentage. So their argument holds no merit.

Advanced Nitrox is for staged decompression ... it has nothing to do with using nitrox for recreational diving.

Sounds to me like a shop that's worth avoiding ... they either don't understand the basics of nitrox diving or they're using dishonest business practices to boost sales. Either way, I'd find a more competent shop for my business.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

A good rule of thumb is that if someone can't explain why they want you to do something, then they don't really understand what they're talking about. Give those people all the credibility they deserve.

a similar rule of thumb is that if they do give you a reason, and that reason involves selling you something...be skeptical.

what mix were you asking for?

Alright guys, I picked up my tanks and got a bit of clarification. I was asking for 30 and 36. Apparently, when filling out the form for an SSI EAN card, there are two options that they can mark on the form: MAX 40% and 32/36 Only. Apparently, what they mean by "Advanced Nitrox" is the course that allows them to check off the MAX 40% option. /Facepalm According to them my PADI EAN card is perfectly good for any mix that I ask for up to 40% because it says so (duh!). I'm honestly at a loss for words at the situation ... not sure I'll ever go back to that shop unless I'm really in a pinch.

ah, go easy on 'em. Just a misunderstanding

Alright guys, I picked up my tanks and got a bit of clarification. I was asking for 30 and 36. Apparently, when filling out the form for an SSI EAN card, there are two options that they can mark on the form: MAX 40% and 32/36 Only. Apparently, what they mean by "Advanced Nitrox" is the course that allows them to check off the MAX 40% option. /Facepalm According to them my PADI EAN card is perfectly good for any mix that I ask for up to 40% because it says so (duh!). I'm honestly at a loss for words at the situation ... not sure I'll ever go back to that shop unless I'm really in a pinch.
They don't even know what Advanced Nitrox is,do they?

Alright guys, I picked up my tanks and got a bit of clarification. I was asking for 30 and 36. Apparently, when filling out the form for an SSI EAN card, there are two options that they can mark on the form: MAX 40% and 32/36 Only. Apparently, what they mean by "Advanced Nitrox" is the course that allows them to check off the MAX 40% option. /Facepalm
Even that isn't right. SSI certifies up to either EAN32 or EAN40. They don't have a cert of up to EAN36. And for the EAN32 cert, you still learn how to use any mix of up to 32%, complete with EAD tables and everything.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom