Dive story told over the weekend

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Im not automatically going to blame lack of experience for their issues. Panic can set in on everyone.

Escalating stresses that are not resolved lead to panic.

More practice = learning how to resolve/manage stresses.

More practice = less panic.

By definition, the husband is wrong. Whether or not he made any errors is irrelevant.

By which definition?? Not any definition that I've ever heard of... :no:

If the husband had any concerns over his immediate health or safety, he is entirely correct to immediately abort and ascend. Should he have waited for his buddy to sort their life out? I wouldn't.

Hypothetically... what if it was an OOA scenario? Is it wrong to immediately ascend (CESA)? Or should the diver wait for their buddy? What if it was the onset of a heart attack? Hypothermia? Panic attack? etc etc etc

The only 'emergency' was the husbands potential issue. The wife just exhibited bad diving. It was her responsibility to provide assistance in the first instance. She didn't (or couldn't).

By which definition?? Not any definition that I've ever heard of... :no:

My initial comment was a joke. I have edited the original post to highlight the humour.

Ah... I get it now. :)

So... in response to the wife's question: "Yes, I was" would have been the most empathic and diplomatic answer from the husband! :rofl3:

Three phrases that a married man must learn:

1. Yes, Dear;
2. Whatever you say, Dear; and
2. You are always right, Dear (with head hung low for sincerity).

:rofl3:

By definition, any husband is always wrong. Whether or not he made any errors is irrelevant.

An exceeding wise (and/or experienced) man.

1) Adding yourself to the incident as a casualty wouldn't aid the victim...actually would decrease her chances.

2) Rushing down to her would prevent raising the alarm/getting assistance.

3) It wasn't an emergency. (see my earlier comment about 'assistance' versus 'rescue'&#8203:wink:.

We will agree to disagree then.

Escalating stresses that are not resolved lead to panic.

More practice = learning how to resolve/manage stresses.

More practice = less panic.

I get that but panic can set in on anyone. No matter how experienced

I get that but panic can set in on anyone. No matter how experienced

You are missing my point. Their panic was due to their inexperience. Many experienced divers die calmly trying to extricate themselves from a situation which proves to be too much. Many more live by calmly extricating themselves from such a situation. Panic is more prevalent in inexperienced divers and that panic causes them to kill themselves when survival is within grasp, if only then act according to their training.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom