Unknown Dive Talk Accident Review with Gareth Lock

This Thread Prefix is for incidents when the cause is not known.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I watched the entire video. I am really surprised that nothing about the dive itself was brought up. Especially with Gareth Lock being the one going over things. His human factors goes into account of the hours, days, even weeks leading up to an accident. None of that was in this video. They zeroed in on what should one do when they get bent, how one should react, what the other team members should do etc. All great things, but they didn't go over any of the mistakes leading up to the dive or during the dive.

Could he have maybe not have gotten bent? I have no idea, but not talking about the dive itself at all really kind of left a lot to be desired and I was excited to see Gareth associated with it.

That's just my take, interested to see what others have to say.

And this surprises you? Hard to admit mistakes when you don't make any. /s
Well... based off my experience with the last thread and being exiled I'm just trying to be as unbiased as possible.

If I'm being honest I did not expect anything from them. The only reason why I listened is because Gareth was attached and I thought there would be more meat and potatoes with him on board.

Well... based off my experience with the last thread and being exiled I'm just trying to be as unbiased as possible.

If I'm being honest I did not expect anything from them. The only reason why I listened is because Gareth was attached and I thought there would be more meat and potatoes with him on board.
yeah...I was kind of surprised at the lack of Gareth being Gareth.

yeah...I was kind of surprised at the lack of Gareth being Gareth.
Which kind of sucks because his perspective is usually fascinating.

We're all aware of the concept of "don't bite the hand that feeds you", right?

There's the YT channel, classes, trips, swag, white label equipment reselling, and possibly some kind of training agency???

They stole significantly borrowed another prominent online scuba content producer's content to make their own content without even linking to the source material. Once that was called out and corrected, the OG content producer started getting tons of traffic. Now, if you were that OG would you call that quasi-shady practice out publicly and get the content pulled, or quietly and keep the increased traffic flowing?

One thing I do appreciate in this video is that they address the need to not put treatment decision making authority on the person with the issue. Definitely best practice to have the unaffected team members make those calls. One- affected diver may not be thinking clearly. Two- removes social pressure on the affected diver.
Another point to add to my dive brief.

We're all aware of the concept of "don't bite the hand that feeds you", right?

There's the YT channel, classes, trips, swag, white label equipment reselling, and possibly some kind of training agency???

They stole significantly borrowed another prominent online scuba content producer's content to make their own content without even linking to the source material. Once that was called out and corrected, the OG content producer started getting tons of traffic. Now, if you were that OG would you call that quasi-shady practice out publicly and get the content pulled, or quietly and keep the increased traffic flowing?
I understand all that. I said it in the last thread and was swiftly kicked out (still am).

Trying to get beyond all that, does anyone know Gareth's name on here? I would love it if he would chime in and maybe give a brief reason why he didn't really dive into the dive like he usually does. I mean, all the stuff they talked about was valid, but to me it only scratched the surface. All of his stuff that I've read he usually goes way deeper than I can even fathom. That was not the case in this interview.

Maybe he did and all that was edited out?

I watched the entire video. I am really surprised that nothing about the dive itself was brought up. Especially with Gareth Lock being the one going over things. His human factors goes into account of the hours, days, even weeks leading up to an accident. None of that was in this video. They zeroed in on what should one do when they get bent, how one should react, what the other team members should do etc. All great things, but they didn't go over any of the mistakes leading up to the dive or during the dive.

Could he have maybe not have gotten bent? I have no idea, but not talking about the dive itself at all really kind of left a lot to be desired and I was excited to see Gareth associated with it.

That's just my take, interested to see what others have to say.
Not all DCS hits are deserved. Sometimes its just your turn.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom