Unknown Dive Talk Accident Review with Gareth Lock

This Thread Prefix is for incidents when the cause is not known.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not all DCS hits are deserved. Sometimes its just your turn.
In diving? Absolutely. In the video I watched? I'm not convinced. And I don't care so much that they got bent, you're right, that can happen. I care that they aren't too keen on pointing out what they could do different. A podcast based on that would actually be beneficial.

Heck I've heard podcast of people who truly take their time to avoid being bent and they've dissected their dives way more than Dive Talk has. (Steve Bogaerts). From all accounts, he truly had undeserved hitS.

And I wouldn't go so far as to say Woody's hit was "deserved", that's a bit harsh, I don't think he was actively trying. How about calling it a fairly extreme technical dive with a minimum of concern, which for me is riding too close to the line.

yeah...I was kind of surprised at the lack of Gareth being Gareth.
If he's not making money its of no interest to him. over 6 PLC companies (not charities or non-profit) setup in the UK in the last 10 years. The work he does has merit, I would have time for him if he admitted its how he earns a living.

If he's not making money its of no interest to him. over 6 PLC companies (not charities or non-profit) setup in the UK in the last 10 years. The work he does has merit, I would have time for him if he admitted its how he earns a living.
I disagree. Just because he makes money at it doesn't' mean that he's not passionate or doesn't care about it.

I disagree. Just because he makes money at it doesn't' mean that he's not passionate or doesn't care about it.
I agree he's passionate. He wants to own the whole incident reporting operation, then charge a fee for the safety information; in addition, he wants to monetise the personal information gathered. Thankfully, the organisations that gather incident information refuse to share it with him.

And sometimes it is not DCS and you are placed in a chamber [ with a civilian Paralyzed with a spine bend ] ,had to throw that in, for almost 5 hours.
And the people making the decision to 'treat you' [in this case a doctor of underwater medicine] have it very wrong and the treatment almost kills you.
This was in 1986 , Navy Diving School chamber HMAS Penguin Sydney , no names, no court-martial , I will leave it there.
Not all DCS hits are deserved. Sometimes its just your turn.

I digress, OK, back on topic.

yeah...I was kind of surprised at the lack of Gareth being Gareth.
To show that I haven't learned anything from Gareth Lock, I'm going to take a wild guess (swing and miss?) at his motivations, making lots of assumptions without any context.

GL might be more concerned with counteracting the victim blaming/shaming in the SCUBA community, which makes people less likely to share stories of their mistakes/mishaps, than he is with holding DT accountable for their mistakes and unwillingness to reflect/learn. While I do agree that DT has handled the aftermath of this situation quite poorly, the ribbing they get might also not be very productive for the advancement of a safety culture. On some level I also understand that it's hard for their bruised egos, which apparently are quite prominent, to respond well to the form of criticism they have been receiving. And I think even their flawed way of presenting the story might be better than not sharing those stories at all.

I understand the frustrations about DT wasting the chance to be better role models, and I also get frustrated with how they respond to criticism, but i still don't think "putting them in their place" or anything like that serves much of a purpose. I think it's just way too easy getting carried away on the internet about people being wrong, and wanting them to be corrected and having to answer for it...

This felt to me more like Woody and Gus processing out loud with Locke as a supportive listener, rather than Locke acting as a consulting expert. Probably because of the ratio of talk time. From what Locke said at the end though, supportive listening but asking tough questions may a purposeful strategy that has the best chance to be effective for actually impacting people's behavior - which is no easy feat. I think some therapeutic techniques also rely on this.

What I found most interesting and maybe valuable was the turning around of the question - why NOT Woody to the medical center, even if he seems to be getting better? Why NOT make that the default?

I think it's helpful because I have been in the position of really really wanting to avoid going for healthcare even when part of me knew it would be a good idea. In dive situations, that was usually down to not wanting to get a diagnosis that would cause me to lose diving time, vacation time, and money (both for costs of treatment and for taking time off of work), and my understanding that spending a lot of time in a chamber is no fun at all. In non-diving situations, it also often has to do with time and money (with the particular flavor of living in the USA where time off of work is stigmatized and more heavily financially penalized, even when I am lucky to have good insurance), but it may also have to do with embarrassment, inconvenience, poor prior healthcare experiences, and risk-benefit calculations corrupted by hope or self-interest.

Some of the factors that weigh against going for care come from systematic social and economic structures that I can't really do anything about in the moment, and that puts more onus on me (and my buddies, diving or not), to actively push for the default of getting checked out medically.

This felt to me more like Woody and Gus processing out loud with Locke as a supportive listener, rather than Locke acting as a consulting expert. Probably because of the ratio of talk time. From what Locke said at the end though, supportive listening but asking tough questions may a purposeful strategy that has the best chance to be effective for actually impacting people's behavior - which is no easy feat. I think some therapeutic techniques also rely on this.
It's my understanding that he had very little time to prepare and doesn't know all the details about the incident.

DiveTalk is just a social media blog for entertainment purposes. Nothing more, Nothing less. If you think otherwise, you are either sadly confused or mistaken. Everything DT posts is for entertainment and serves no training or educational purpose. Let's only acknowledge DT for the comic entertainment value it is. Personally, I don't have the time nor desire to watch as too busy diving and learning.

......corrected it to just DT as don't follow DT or its creators very much if at all.......

DiveTalk (Woodie & Gus) is just a social media blog for entertainment purposes. Nothing more, Nothing less. If you think otherwise, you are either sadly confused or mistaken. Everything DT posts is for entertainment and serves no training or educational purpose. Let's leave that up to the training agencies and only acknowledge DT for the comic entertainment value it is. Personally, I don't have the time nor desire to watch as too busy diving and learning.

They sell classes under DT.

They sell rebreathers under DT.

They provide how-to videos under DT specifically marketed as educational.

They may have started as YT personalities, but that is not where they are pushing their brand.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom