dive training abroad

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nevp

New
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I have just found and joined this site. I have never been diving before although i have wanted to learn for some time now but never had the opportunity.
I would like to go abroad,somewhere hot for a month sometime around end of jan/feb/march 2006 and do a PADI recognised scuba course. I am on a tight budget and wondered if anyone could advise me on best prices/destinations etc.
My brother done his divemaster course in central america a couple of years ago and says that mexico/guatemala is quite cheap,I have also heard thailand/cambodia/phillipines are good value as well. My only criteria are cost obviously,somewhere hot and sunny and good dive sites. I would be grateful for any advice from anyone. Thanks. Neville

Check the web site for where you want to go. They always have something on diving with prices. From what I have seen for Mexico. It isn't much cheaper but it sure would be warmer.

The places you mentioned are good and they are cheaper than say the Bahamas. Asia is far and of course it's the travel cost that will sting you. Cozumel is good as a relatively inexpensive place to get training. I did my Rescue Diver there.

Hello, long-time lurker (gotta keep entertained at work . . .) and first time poster. I terms of finding some place cheap and awesome to dive I would highly recommend Belize. I was certified there last February and it was fantastic. Because I was a poor college student at the time, price was a big consideration for me and my friends. We stayed at a place called Glover’s Atoll Resort, located on Northeast Cay in Glover’s Atoll, approximately 30 miles of the coast of Belize. The resort is a tropical paradise on a tiny island on the edge of a beautiful atoll, meaning tremendous relaxation, beauty, and diving. The accommodations are quite rustic, camping style, with no running water, electricity or other such amenities. You cook food on a kerosene stove and drink rain water or bottled water. If you don’t mind roughing it a bit, this place is wonderful. I stayed in a thatch hut which was built over the water for $250 (US) per week. They have other options including huts on the beach and a campground which are even cheaper. I know they have a deal that if you stay for 2 or 3 weeks the next is free and I don’t think you can get cheaper accommodations in the Caribbean.

As far as the dive training, it was what you would expect. It was very laid back and relatively quick. I’m sure that many on this board would chastise the “resort” nature of the course, however I think that for a quick learning and athletic twenty-something, it was perfect. They do certification of all levels and the prices were reasonable. We paid $295 for OW certification (including equipment rentals). We ended up doing 6 OW dives total, of which only 1 was devoted entirely training. The staff (husband and wife) were incredibly helpful, and being so remote the instruction is very personal because the classes are so small. And, of course, the diving was fantastic, with clear water and some really interesting formations, including a wall dive on the edge of the atoll. Needless today I would highly recommend this place.

http://www.glovers.com.bz/

Utila is one of the Bay Islands off the coast of Honduras. I was there last Jan and was very impressed with The Bay Islands College of Diving (BICD). Our DM, Tom, was a graduate and his knowledge, skills and attention to safety was excellent. Purported to be one of the least expensive places in the western hemisphere to get a quality education. I'm not sure if it is part of BICD but housed in the same building is a small medical clinic that has a deco chamber. Good luck

I have to agree about UTILA, in Honduras Bay of Islans. Traditionally one of the cheapest places in the world for dive courses. You have many dive shops to choose from, and as you have time i would say get there first, and get one of the packages they offer for hostel+dive course. Decent diving and excellent night life for the young and active. If you have a month and want to dive some more, you can cross after your course and another week of diving to Roatan, where prices are slightly higher and diving even better. Utila caters for backpackers and all the prices, including ferries etc. are taking this into consideration.

Utila is certainly the place to go..We have cheap accommodation, great diving and a package to suit everyone...PM me for more details

Tight budget and you want a cheap course but you're going abroad for a month?

I'd discount something besides scuba.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom