Dive trip recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scooter6

New
Reaction score
I'm planning a week dive trip for early Apr 2008 for my wife and I. She is a vacation diver who dives 1-2 times per year. She does not like long boat rides and rough seas (gets seasick). I have tried shore diving but that was a disaster. I have taken her to Grand Cayman, Cozumel, St. Croix, and Aruba. Looking to try something new this year. I'm considering Curacao, Bonaire (yes, we would boat dive!), Ambergris Caye, or St. Kitts. I'm worried about rough seas outside the reef at Ambergris Caye in early April. Also, have not read too many positives about diving in St. Kitts. Top side activites would be a plus, but not a show stopper. Opinions/suggestions.

A group of us just got back from Bonaire, I am a vacation diver (husband dives Lake Michigan I have no interest) and a new diver. I do not like rough seas either. I found Bonaire to be the best....All I read said Bonaire was great for new divers and it was. Even the shore dives were easy. I will be in Curacao in Jan. and hope for the same.

good luck!
Tremers

Yeah, I would recommend Bonaire as well...easy diving, little or no current and lots of stuff to see.

Dave (aka "Squirt")

I will second the vote for Bonaire.
There are many of the shore dives that do require you to wade in through surf, across rocks, etc, but you can stay at a place like Den Laman, Sand Dollar, Cap't Don's, etc and just use their docks to step into the water a few feet from where you get the tanks. It is less work than a boat dive.., really! You have LOTS of room to gear up, and less distance to haul the tanks. You also get to enjoy the shallows and all the critters as you come back to the easy steps onto the dock.
You can do the boat dives too to mix it up a bit and get to those places that might be a bit much for someone that hates shore dives (or the work involved). My wife fits this category and she loves Bonaire. I wouldn't do more than 6 boat dives in a week and the rest from either your resorts dock or another one. Also, be sure to check out Oil Slick Leap.. easy entry (GIANT STEP) easy exit .. (ladders) Parking on premises.

Here's another one for Bonaire! Do one boat dive per day, only 5-15 minutes boat ride, then shore dive the rest of day. We were just there in June.... my photos and videos are here: <Ron & Robin's Bonaire Trip> <>Photos

robint:D

I agree with the previous post. We live here in Curacao and just got back from a dive vacation in Bonaire. The dives and what you'll see on them are pretty much the same in both Bonaire and Curacao but there's much more choice in Curacao in terms of topside activities, places to go, things to do when you're dry, restaurants etc.

The shore diving in Curacao couldn't be simpler. You literally walk in from the beach at most dive sites. It's 6 steps from the gearing up area at The Dive Bus to the ocean's edge, for example. It doesn't get any easier than this ;o)

Happy planning!
Suzy

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom