Dive with Martin? No recent posts...opinions?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Glenn777:
Thanks Christi, your explanation was very helpful.

Thanks Sharky60,
Sounds like Pier pick up won't be a problem.
I just have to figure out how to avoid the $35-40 US taxi ride to sign up, pay up, and set up the dive pick up schedule.
I can understand why they would have this rule, come to the shop, sign up & pay up, because I'm sure there is someone out there somewhere that would say come to the pier & I will pay you but the person would not be there and in that case a boat, gas, driver, divemaster have wasted time & money and of course this is not right.

I am not that kind of person but how would DWM know that.

Glenn

FYI...the taxi ride from Iberostar to Martin's shop should be about $15 each way...unless there are more than one cab full of you. In that case, $15 per cab each way. Tipping taxi drivers in Cozumel is NOT customary...so don't feel like you have to give him a huge tip. If they do something out of the ordinary for you and/or are helping you with luggage, that's different...but driving you from point A to B is more than covered by their inflated fares. Taxi drivers are not considered tipped employees and are actually the upper middle class of Cozumel.

DWM does require a 50% deposit to be mailed to Waco Texas before arrival. Be there in 2 days!

Christi:
FYI...the taxi ride from Iberostar to Martin's shop should be about $15 each way...unless there are more than one cab full of you. In that case, $15 per cab each way. Tipping taxi drivers in Cozumel is NOT customary...so don't feel like you have to give him a huge tip. If they do something out of the ordinary for you and/or are helping you with luggage, that's different...but driving you from point A to B is more than covered by their inflated fares. Taxi drivers are not considered tipped employees and are actually the upper middle class of Cozumel.

Christi, where exactly is DWM new shop?

By the way wish you weren't full but next trip we will be by to see you.:D

Fin59:
If you take a cab to the shop early the first day you dive, you can at least save the fare for the return trip since they will be dropping you off after diving.

Thanks, good idea, my wife & I would at least save the return taxi fare.
Since I read the boats depart at 7:30 AM we would need to be there by at least 7:00 or earlier to sign, pay, and get their gear as we are only bringing our own shorty, fins, & mask.
That sounds like a 6:00 AM wakeup which might be a problem as our flight the day previous leaves at 6:10 AM Toronto which means a 3 AM wakeup.

It was a good idea, but 2 early morning risings might be difficult.
But thanks for the idea.

Glenn

sasscuba:
Christi, where exactly is DWM new shop?

By the way wish you weren't full but next trip we will be by to see you.:D

Yep, next time :)

DWM is still located at the International ship pier as far as I know!If I'm wrong, someone feel free to correct me :)

Christi:
Taxi drivers are not considered tipped employees and are actually the upper middle class of Cozumel.

So THAT'S why I keep seeing taxi's parked behind locked gates in nice houses near or in town.....

sasscuba:
DWM does require a 50% deposit to be mailed to Waco Texas before arrival. Be there in 2 days!

Sasscuba,
So what happens if I don't send the 50% to Waco, Texas before arrival?
Do I look for another dive shop that will take cash on the spot for all our dives?

Thanks again Christi
for the no tip policy suggestion,
I read somewhere the rate from Iberostar to town was $17 and just figured with a return trip I would be paying $35-40. US

I appreciate everyone's comments and suggestions.

We arrive Nov 9, is this a busy period for dive shops or does it just depend on various factors, returning divers, cruise ships, and weather and ...

Glenn

Glenn777:
Sasscuba,
So what happens if I don't send the 50% to Waco, Texas before arrival?
Do I look for another dive shop that will take cash on the spot for all our dives?

Thanks again Christi
for the no tip policy suggestion,
I read somewhere the rate from Iberostar to town was $17 and just figured with a return trip I would be paying $35-40. US

I appreciate everyone's comments and suggestions.

We arrive Nov 9, is this a busy period for dive shops or does it just depend on various factors, returning divers, cruise ships, and weather and ...

Glenn

Just call the Waco number and ask them....from DWM website...To Make a Deposit:
Make check payable to Dive with Martin and send to:
Dive with Martin
c/o John Carberry - Lake Air Scuba
430 Lake Air Drive
Waco, TX 76710
1 (254) 399-0126
scubawaco@aol.com

I just got back from Coz where I used Dive with Martin. It was my first time there so I cannot compare to anything else but overall I was pleased and would dive with them again if I go back. My girlfriend felt they were fine too, but said said might want to try someone else next time just for comparison.

We first emailed DWM and set up a package. We were required to send in a $150 deposit ahead of time.

When we got to their "shop" my first reaction was 'Oh crap, shouldn't have gone cheap'. It was basically a small kiosk at the side of the pier, and when I asked if they had a bigger dive shop someplace the guy pointed to a bunch of ruins on the pier and said that that used to be it... I asked about the free shore dives (as promised in the packages) and pick up from the hotel, and was told that the shore was full of rubble because of Wilma so people weren't allpwed to dive there and there was some problem with pickups too. At this point I was about to ask for my deposit back, in fact I did... but the guy then said the boat (when available) could take us 2 minutes out of the shore, so we could do our free "shore dives" there and he promised to make the pickups work as well, which he did though one morning the pickup guy was 20 min late.

I was still a bit hesitant because it didn't look like they'd even have enough space to store our gear in the kiosk, but somehow they maanged. We had our own gear so I never got to try theirs but it looked like your basic rec gear and I didn't hear anyone complain about it. We did have to get two tank o-rings replaced (leaks), but that's not unusual and they DM were equiped with extras.

The dive boats and dives were good. We used AL80's which were fine for us since we were generally the last ones out of the water anyway, and they would let people with good air consumption stay longer while those with bad air consumption surfaced early, and mostly the dives tended to end for my gf and I when our air was starting to get low. I was usually back on the boat with 30-50 bar. An exception to that was a dive to Punta Sur, which the DM considered advanced and didn't want the group breaking up. On the boat they gave us free water and pieces of fruit. O2 was also available for emergencies.

The DM's set the gear up most people, and would probably have set it up for us too if we had asked, but since we were using backplates, wings and can lights they left it for us to do - and frankly I prefer to do it myself anyway.

On the last day of diving, I saw another couple get on the boat in the morning and speed off, as they were leaving I shouted 'hey, what dive site are you going to' and was told Punta Sur. Another boat pulled up and the DM said they would probably go to Paradise Reef. No one had asked for our preference, which would definately have been Punta Sur, so I ran to the kiosk and asked if I could still get to the Punta Sur boat and they said okay. The other boat was faster so it caught up with first boat and we switched. Make sure you discuss the next day's diving options the night before.

Now there was no food available on the boat other than water and pieces of fruit, so eat a big breakfast or bring your own food. The first day we didn't realize to do this because the pickups were at 7.30 and no breakfast places were open around us so we went hungry. The boats also picked people up from other loacations before heading to the dive sites so it probably an hour or two after the boat left the internation pier before we actually got to the dive sites. There were around 5-8 people on the boats we used, not including the captain and DM.

In addition, Dive with Martin promised us that we could use independent doubles if we wanted (as long as we could rig them up on our own), but we never ended up making use of this option because my gf didn't want to practice for the cave course we were about to take and we didn't need the extra volume.

So that was my experience. Sure there were a few hiccups, but the DWM was always very flexible and tried to make everything work, which is why I would use them again. Also, they have a tech operation (King Divers) which I intended to try out but never did - maybe next time.

I liked Dive with Martin a lot.....small private feeling boats and the attitude is "what would YOU like to do today?" We had long lazy surface intervals at beach resorts where we ate big meals, were never rushed, and they picked us up where ever we liked. David was our dive guide and not being put on a program is priceless to me. The pick-ups were always spot-on and they took good care of our gear. For me, they were the ideal operator for photography and freedom to do what you like. No nosey questions and yet very safe and small.

Back
Top Bottom