Dive World Austin says they do not maintain rental equipment until it fails

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Oh and here is a stupid question, what is LDS? So many acronyms! I don't know if we are trying to talk religion (Later Day Saints aka Mormons) or scuba diving!

a high preassure swivel failure would not drain your tank in 5 minutes. in fact, it would not drain your tank in 15 minutes. proof YouTube - Cutting a Scuba Divers Regulator Hoses it is not a saftey risk to rent an SPG that bubbles, nor a second stage that isn't well tuned.

You clearly did not watch the entire video you linked because you would have seen in the end that it took TWO minutes to drain the tank.

Stop posting erroneous information and using parody videos to support your statements. This is as bad as believing you can tell whether a tank is full by dropping it on the ground to hear how it resonates.

Local Dive Shop, generally refers to the shop you do business with at home and get your gear serviced.

Local Dive Shop, generally refers to the shop you do business with at home and get your gear serviced.

You beat me to it

LDS = local dive shop

My normal dive buddy dives a 3mm suite, and wears a hood when we go deep, 100+'

IA leaky hose, or a poorly tuned second stage causes undue stress on a new diver, and can send them bolting to the surface.

in which case, it is the diver (or his mindset) that is the safety risk. a lot of rental seconds i've breathed have had real stiff cracking pressure, easy breathing is a _relatively_ new luxury in diving; but the OP made it sound like a blown o-ring had nearly dried his tank in 5 minutes, which WOULD have been an incident.

You clearly did not watch the entire video you linked because you would have seen in the end that it took TWO minutes to drain the tank.

Stop posting erroneous information and using parody videos to support your statements. This is as bad as believing you can tell whether a tank is full by dropping it on the ground to hear how it resonates.

that's the LP hose that drains the tank in 2 minutes. and thats full blown hose failure.

Stop posting erroneous information and using parody videos to support your statements.

Did you watch the entire video? Obviously not... :rofl3:

Because they cut TWO regulator hoses. not one. First they cut a HP hose, which took forever to drain, then came back and cut the LP hose.

the LP hose is what took two minutes to drain. Rapix post with the video link was referring to the HP hose swivel. In the video the HP hose still hadn't drained out in 15 minutes.

This is as bad as believing you can tell whether a tank is full by dropping it on the ground to hear how it resonates

oh... here's the video on how to do that... :rofl3:

[youtubehq]WbOXM8cPFEM[/youtubehq]

in which case, it is the diver (or his mindset) that is the safety risk. a lot of rental seconds i've breathed have had real stiff cracking pressure, easy breathing is a _relatively_ new luxury in diving; but the OP made it sound like a blown o-ring had nearly dried his tank in 5 minutes, which WOULD have been an incident.

That is exactly why I will NOT dive with you now or anytime in the future.

i strongly suggest you stick to one of austin's stalwarts: oak hill scuba & scubaland.

Welcome to Oak Hill SCUBA
Scubaland Adventures

I would also add Tom's to that list. I've had only good experiences w/ their rental equipment (although, granted, it's been a long time since I've rented from anywhere in Texas), have trusted them to service my gear, and - like the other two shops mentioned - they've always treated me well.

"I kept track of my air but it I was pretty low after about 5 minutes or so."

why is anyone arguing with this statement?

I believe that having rental equipent that is maintained and works properly is not too much to ask for

Back
Top Bottom