Divemaster Gear Exchange

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My partner and I watched three other pairs slip beneath the surface, only to see one or the other come up gasping for air. We kept looking at each other and mouthing slow... real slow. Our turn...

We dropped easily to the bottom. Both of us had integrated weights, so we also had to pull them out and replace them as well. I STILL don't think this was part of the PADI exercise, but we went along. We alternated between each of us... concentrating on one piece of gear at a time, and not continuing to the next until both had donned the other's. Our instructor watched patiently, his octo at the ready. We just plodded along.

Finally we were finished... we shake hands and reach into our BCs... out come the "water wings" (little pink inflatable donuts for kids) we put them on our wrists and inflate. We had REALLY over weighted ourselves before this, so we were still buddy breathing on the floor of the pool. Back into the BC pockets and out come the mardi gras beads. We put them on and look over at our instructor... he is making a circular motion with his hands... we understand... we continue our gear exchange... I get his wings and beads, and he gets mine. We had more stuff in our BCs, but the instructor signals "stop" and so we ascend. We had fun but it was tough.

Our jokes helped to keep us calm. We were confident that we could do it and so we took it a little over the top. I only wish I had smuggled an inflatable gator or other pool toy. Two of the other groups got it on their second try. The last group had to try FOUR times. Of course we didn't help by wearing our beads and constantly asking each other "how many times did you have to do it?" "Just once man, just once" Still, this was the TOUGHEST excercise that I ever had to do.

I agree it seemed like a daunting task to complete. A buddy of mine who was going through another DM course, agreed to practise a bit before we actually had our evaluation. When it came my turn to demonstrate in front of my instructor, it was a "piece of cake". Like Doc and Drew said -- go slow, it's not one of the timed evaluations. Just because I had the reg, didn't mean I necessarily removed (or replaced) a piece of gear.

When my partner and I surfaced we were proud of ourselves for the accomplishment. We were grining ear to ear!

For the uneducated (and starting his DM class this weekend), what does this drill teach or reinforce?

accept a daunting task load without freaking
be creative in your problem solving
be able to buddy breathe AND resolve issues
Demonstrate that you can escape from your Bugeed Wings of Death

The equipment exchange is meant to be a stress and problem solving test and confidance builder. A divemaster must be prepared to do what ever is required in assisting other divers. The idea is to provide a complex task (exchanging equipment) under stress (byddy breathing). The candidates should not practice the exchange ahead of time and should have only limited time to talk it over, if at all. While it is not a timed skill we look for it to be efficient and not too slow. I prefer not letting candidates know who their partner will be. It can be a real learning experience.

Me again! :)

Sounds like you are progressing nicely, but I would like to clarify something:

The skills portion is pretty light. It's mostly related to how you handle situations. A lot of it is rescue scenarios and such.

From reading the above, I assume that you have yet to go through the Skill Circuit. This is where you are evaluated not on how well you can do the skill, but on whether or not you can do the skill to DEMONSTRATION QUALITY (slowly, breaking it down into all its main components).

Just wanted to get that in,

~SubMariner~

I pity the poor person who has to wear my mask. It has strong prescriptions lenses with significant astimatism and now a reading lens in one side. They will probably have to close their eyes to prevent a headache! I think I'll suggest we do that piece of gear last.

Back
Top Bottom