Divemaster Gear Exchange

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I pity the poor person who has to wear my mask. It has strong prescriptions lenses with significant astimatism and now a reading lens in one side. They will probably have to close their eyes to prevent a headache! I think I'll suggest we do that piece of gear last.

It's aaallliiiiivvveee!

Back from the dead like a bad Zombie movie...

But to comment on your post: I too have prescription lenses in my mask. BIFOCALS, no less. So if I do this skill with someone, I switch masks with them, then switch back, because NEITHER one of us would be able to see properly with each other's masks.:idk:

We then continue on with the other gear...

This was one of my favorite part of doing my dm. Our instructor didn't tell us about it until we were all on the bottom of the pool, he started swapping his gear with a dm candidate and pointed at us to do the same. My buddy and i had no problems, but another buddy group ran out of air and had to surface, my instructor gave them a funny look and said they still had there other tank, we all giggled;P

You should not have to remove exposure suit or weight system, in accordance with the standards (for PADI).

Skill 2 — Equipment Exchange
In confined water, have divemaster candidates demonstrate
the ability to solve unanticipated problems underwater
by exchanging all scuba equipment (except exposure suits
and weights
) with a buddy while sharing a single regulator
second stage, earning at least a 3 as described in the
evaluation criteria.

With integrated BCDs (or BP/W & steel tank), this can be a problem...or a chance to show that you can work around issues and make things happen.

Me and the other guy doing his DMT did this in about 2 minutes 30 second. Instructor's words were 'that was beautiful'. Was worried it would be tricky but it's pretty simple once you're down there I found. We were told the previous DMTs took 15-20 to do it. No idea why it would take that long...

Me and the other guy doing his DMT did this in about 2 minutes 30 second. Instructor's words were 'that was beautiful'. Was worried it would be tricky but it's pretty simple once you're down there I found. We were told the previous DMTs took 15-20 to do it. No idea why it would take that long...

This is NOT a TIMED EXERCISE. How long it takes to swap the gear is irrelevant.

The whole point of the exercise is problem solving underwater.

I got the pleasure of going through my DM training with my wife and she was my partner for the equipment exchange. Made for some interesting rides home. It did improve our communication skills. We made it through and we are still married!!

I was very worried about this test, but amazingly it turned out to be the easiest part of the course for me. We started with each other's gear on, then simply exchanged units, fins and masks in that order. I don't like the fact that an instructor may not allow starting with each other's gear. Nor the fact that some require switching belts and even suits...???(how do you even DO that?--I assume we're talking shorties?). But that's my opinion that there should be one standard for all. I'm sure many will disagree with me here. Oh, for those just starting DM, don't forget to join the Going Pro sub-forum (my LDS owner gave me his info. so I could join). I learned a ton of useful stuff there.

Ahh I remember my kit exchange..

my instructor was so hard on us..

turning air off, pulling regs out, masks off, undoing tanks, pulling of weight belts..

more than one at a time aswel!

he was always right there with his octo though, but we did it second try (my buddy couldnt hack it, with air off mask off first time)

deffinately made me way more confident under water, and I now do the same to my DMT's

Maybe a old thread but a good exercise to discuss and one that does build a lot of confidence.
For anyone about to undertake the training I'll suggest another configuration trick to make things a bit easier besides starting in your divebuddy's gear. A long hose configuration makes buddy breathing a little less stressful and easier to deal with during the BCD exchange.

For the uneducated (and starting his DM class this weekend), what does this drill teach or reinforce?

It doesn't actually teach or reinforce much of anything, but does tend to reveal people who aren't all "warm and fuzzy" about being underwater with stress and without a constant air supply.

Not sure it's especially relevant for leading recreational OW dives where the surface is always available, but it's apparently still a requirement.

flots.

Back
Top Bottom