Votes: 5 13.9%
  • 3-6 months

Votes: 12 33.3%
  • +6 months

Votes: 14 38.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Allen42 once bubbled...
You didn't clarify... are you asking how long it took to get DM from the prior cert? Or from nothing to DM?

Good question. I look at it from a prior cert. since most beginning scuba divers (I would think) aren't seriously looking at being DM's until they have decided that scuba is right for them. Although I mulled it around when I started the OW training, it wasn't until I had some dives under my belt and finished the AOW that I decided it was right for me.

I'm sure there are exceptions to the above.

mars2u once bubbled...

I look at it from a prior cert. since most beginning scuba divers (I would think) aren't seriously looking at being DM's until they have decided that scuba is right for them.

I talked to a guy last week that went to Hall's and he said there were people in his class that had never even been in SCUBA gear. There was even one guy that didn't know how to swim yet. He figured it out in 10 weeks, and I guess he is an Instructor now. Kinda scary.

mars2u once bubbled...

Good question. I look at it from a prior cert. since most beginning scuba divers (I would think) aren't seriously looking at being DM's until they have decided that scuba is right for them. Although I mulled it around when I started the OW training, it wasn't until I had some dives under my belt and finished the AOW that I decided it was right for me.

I'm sure there are exceptions to the above.

that's about right for someone making the desision to go on to DM - and it is far to early in their experiance to do it.
the last dm candidates i saw couldn't control bouyency to save their butts nor could they swim at less than a 45 deg up angle - they still can't!! and ones an insturctor now. the disision to go pro should happen after a few years / 1000 dives.

i took OW in Aug of 96 and knew right then i had to become a DM, i fell in love with diving before i even completed OW. to make a long story short, i completed DM in April of 97. i worked my butt off to get there and believe me, nothing was handed to me. one thing i did that helped me a bunch while taking DM was working with not only my Instructor in the shop but working classes with the other 3 Instructors there also. that gave me 4 different people to get their knowledge from.

steve

Once I started the class, it took about 4 weeks to complete the academics section of the course. I had already been working in my LDS and assisting with classes for about 2 years so I did have a step up in a lot of ways.

It took me three summers (I dont dive in the winter in Cananda) to complete my DM. The deal with my instructor was that the course sost me 0$ but I had to help out and assist plus the rest of training. I did approximately 15 classes and 10 Cert as an assistant before I got my DM. I learned most of it through experience what was actually taught in class was intereasting but nothing really new. I'm doing my instrcutor nw and that will take me about 5 months after DM. The books are nice but there nothing like experience,my thoght is a DM or Inst should know books and theory but the rest is what really will make the difference in your training. (because seriously if your from NAUI,PADI,PDIC or another agency the books are all the same or mostl with the expception that a PADI dive should be be like this...yada yada yada, a NAUI dive should be like this ...yada yada yada , a PDIC dive should be like this Yada yada yada...) oh and the PADI,NAUI or PDIC book you should buy.

My suggestion is get the best experience from different instrucotrs possible and the length of time is irrelevant.

As others have said, I found that time in the water assisting with real classes taught me more about being a DM than anything else. The book work is fantastic, and I enjoyed every bit of it, but very little there applies to what it takes to help a class.

My advice is to take your time and enjoy the journey. One of the big rewards for actually finishing your DM is that now you get to pay for insurance. It was almost better when I was a DMit.

- Atticus

am working full time so buddied up with a guy from work and we did it together afterwork and on weekends.

hefty commitment to get through all the stuff and my instructor doesn't take shortcuts so if you don't know it you don't pass !!

alot of fun and alot of information

The course , has, technically ,80 hours of work !

Take your time and enjoy the experience.

Take it seriously.Be in shape!

Remember that you require 60 dives to finish.

Have fun and enjoy the accomplishment.

I di the apperenticeship route and was well worth it.

Ron

.........to become a good DM. experience is the key. The instructor that I am working with is less worried about the "book learning", and more concerned with my abilitie in the water.

Do I recognize why problems are occuring, or what could occur.......

I have already taught a couple of discover scuba classes. ( of course he was there to assist, etc.)and taught parts and pieces of OW and AOW classes.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom