Divemaster worth it if not going to work in industry?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would agree and disagree with a most of the people on here.
If you want to become a better diver and more knowledgeable diver then do you Divemaster. You never know you might love it so much you might want to become as Divemaster (Or even instructor) in the future. At the end of the day it opens you chances to work any where in the world.

If you don't want to become a Divemaster you could always do the SSI Dive Guide that teaches you to look after other dives and guide as well.

check out SSI Scuba Schools International

also check out Dive with Dan - Scuba Diving - Daniel Lane

And if you want it cheap, look for a cmas diveclub. I did my dm with CMAS.
DM is DM, so the agency doesn't matter if you do not work in diveindustry. Where I live, you cannot earn any money on being a dm. And that dm certificate you can use to signup with any instructor course for any organisation. There is always a 'or equivalent' in the standards.
I was looking to do after my CMAS DM the Padi instructor course. But then I found that IANTD is better for me. So I did the IANTD adv. rec. trimix instructor course (reason: I am interested in techincal diving). And that was a good choice for me.

I considered DM right after Rescue but after thinking about it- what my goals were, time put in and expenses, I decided I'd be better off upgrading equipment and just going diving. I spoke to an instructor and a couple of Dm's about it and bottom line is I know I never want to teach, provide training or be on call to mind new rec divers. From I gathered from our conversations it's an excellent option to earn beer money in thailand but a middle aged guy who just wants to improve dive skills there are better ways to do it. This can be accomplished in such courses as NAUI Master or Intro tech- which from what I understand equally as good or indeed better in solidifying and learning new in-water skills. Like others have said Rescue is definitely a must for divers in my book, but be sure to research local instructors as the quality of such courses do seem to vary considerably.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom