Diver Death at CSSP - Terrell TX

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TwoBitTxn:
The leading consensus of individuals who are closer to the story than I am have it has a heart attack at depth. It's unlikely the wife could have done anything to save the man's life.

TwoBit

I understand there is now an article from the Terrell Trb. available,but don't know its content.

texdiveguy:
I understand there is now an article from the Terrell Trb. available,but don't know its content.

Found the periodicals web site, but couldn't find the story. Maybe it'll loaded soon?

http://www.terrelltribune.com/

DandyDon:
Found the periodicals web site, but couldn't find the story. Maybe it'll loaded soon?

http://www.terrelltribune.com/

From the Terrell Tribune:

"A Grand Prairie man drowned at a scuba park in Ables Springs Thursday
afternoon.
Ronald Burzycki, 56, was pronounced dead at Medical Center at Terrell
shortly after 2 p.m. by Justice of the Peace James Williams.
Burzycki was diving with his wife when the incident happened, according
to a Kaufman County Sheriff¹s Department spokesman.
According to Burzycki¹s wife, Burzycki panicked while underwater. She
attempted to help him to the surface, but was unable to.
She did state that he had his regulator (breathing device) in his mouth
when she went for help.
The victim¹s wife went to the dive shop and one of the attendants
returned to where the two had been diving to begin a search. The victim¹s
wife called 911.
Ables Springs Fire Department and KCSD deputies responded to the scene.
The two were fairly experienced scuba divers after receiving their
certifications in September, reports said. The couple had been on five dives
before this incident. "

texdiveguy:
From the Terrell Tribune:

"A Grand Prairie man drowned at a scuba park in Ables Springs Thursday
afternoon.
Ronald Burzycki, 56, was pronounced dead at Medical Center at Terrell
shortly after 2 p.m. by Justice of the Peace James Williams.
Burzycki was diving with his wife when the incident happened, according
to a Kaufman County Sheriff¹s Department spokesman.<snip> The two were fairly experienced scuba divers after receiving their
certifications in September, reports said. The couple had been on five dives
before this incident
"

Typical newspaper story.....fairly experienced? 5 dives? And still no indication of what exactly happened. You gotta love reporters...

Firefyter:
Typical newspaper story.....fairly experienced? 5 dives? And still no indication of what exactly happened. You gotta love reporters...
Right after we certified, my buddy & I sent to Santa Rosa NM to dive the 84 foot deep hole there - 62F and nearly 5,000 elevation. We survived, on luck as muhc as anything.

Now - I hate to see anyone with less than 20 dives go in anywhere without DM supervision.

My hunch on this one is he had a hear attack, and she panicked, but we may not know until the DAN report comes out year after next.

DandyDon:
My hunch on this one is he had a hear attack, and she panicked, but we may not know until the DAN report comes out year after next.

It could be that he had a heart attack or one of several other medical conditions that come to mind that lead to this event, however I must wonder why people think that the woman panicked :06: It's just as plausible to think that she did the only things she knew to do or that the situation was beyond her ability to handle competently.

Just the fact that she did something leads me to believe she was not in a state of panic.

jbd:
It could be that he had a heart attack or one of several other medical conditions that come to mind that lead to this event, however I must wonder why people think that the woman panicked :06: It's just as plausible to think that she did the only things she knew to do or that the situation was beyond her ability to handle competently.

Just the fact that she did something leads me to believe she was not in a state of panic.
I'm certainly guessing as much as anything. Heart attack comes to mind because they are so common compared to other causes, but there are certainly many possibilities. And there certainly may not have been much she could have done for him, but based on this alone...
He mentioned finding the man somewhere around 30’ or so,
I gather that she did not ditch his weights and inflate his BC, which I think would have been prudent. But again, there are other possibilities.

DandyDon:
I gather that she did not ditch his weights and inflate his BC, which I think would have been prudent. But again, there are other possibilities.

Agreed, it might have been prudent to ditch weights and or inflate the BC. On the other hand, based on the very sketchy newspaper article, she might have attempted it, but found that the prudent thing to do was leave him and go for help. If this was the case, it indicates purposeful action as opposed to panic.

Referring again to the newspaper article, they were certified in Sept and had only been on 5 previous dives. It would be quite likely that she lacked the training and or experience to deal with a panicky, possibly dying person underwater.

Without putting words in MikeFerrara's mouth, I think that his point of view is that we(as an industry) need to return some of this kind of training to the basic open water course.

Certainly there are no guarantees that every such incident would turn out favorably but maybe some similar situations would have a better ending.

I agree with you JBD. My thought is the wife did what she knew to do. She realized she couldn't do what she wanted to do, get her husband to the surface, so she did the next best thing, she went and got help.

TwoBit

TwoBitTxn:
I agree with you JBD. My thought is the wife did what she knew to do. She realized she couldn't do what she wanted to do, get her husband to the surface, so she did the next best thing, she went and got help.

TwoBit

But...I doubt that going for help will
ever work in diving.
My guess is that she did what she knew how to do...which was little or nothing. It's my opinion that divers need to be more capable prior to being sent off on their own.

My statement are not to blame or fault the divers. It is however absolutely meant to fault an industry that insists that once a diver demenstrates a few skills on their knees ithey are ready to dive independantly with a budy.

IMO, people sometimes die because they swallow this marketing bull about how easy and safe diving is. It is easy as long as it's easy but when it gets hard it's not easy any more and you can either deal with it or not. You can leave your disabled bud or take em with you. You can manage a problem or freak and leave it to a DM....if you have a one.

Being marginally good enough to attend a guided dive that some one else plans is much different that being prepared to plan, conduct and manage a dive including any problems that may come up. An OW cert card makes no such distinction.

While people have free will and are responsible for their own decisions we can apply the same logic to the con games that are pulled on the elderly to get their money and make those con games legal. That's how I feel about much of dive marketing and training. It's your decision but...you may be mislead in a situation where you aren't aware of any reason that you shouldn't believe what you're being told.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom