Diver killed- (and update)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ReefGuy:
Man, this really torques me. I wonder if the boat driver was an idiot that didn't know what a dive flag is, or one of those who think divers are invading their space and don't care what a dive flag is. Either way, this really sux and is exactly the reason we need to license boaters in this state.

It could have been any of us.

That's a pretty strong assumption to be making when this is part of the report.

olddiver2:
As of Sunday morning, there were no details reported concerning the use of a dive flag...

Maybe the boater wasn't the only one that made a mistake...

TwoBit

The Monday Miami Herald carries more details of the Saturday evening tragedy. The victim was a 26 yr. old snorkeler named Ghaleb Tayfour from Sunrise, FL. Tayfour graduated from Hollywood Hills High School, and attended FUI and UM. He was about to complete his masters degree in biology from Florida Atlantic University.

Tayfour and a friend were snorkeling about 7 p.m. off the beach in the 6000 block of North Ocean Drive near John Lloyd State Park when a 25-30 white motorboat collided with Tayfour as he surfaced. Authorities found a divers-down flag in the area.

Investigators want to talk to the driver of the boat, saying it is too early to tell if the boater might face criminal charges.

I don't see how the boat driver could not be facing charges.

Jack

INSANE!!!!! I can't wait to hear how this one unfolds...

TwoBitTxn:
That's a pretty strong assumption to be making when this is part of the report.

Maybe the boater wasn't the only one that made a mistake...

TwoBit

True, but these guys were expereinced snorkelers, and as of the Monday article, "a dive flag was found in the area." Now that can mean many things, but I'll bet they were just doing what they have always done-hanging out close to their flag, following the law. I've never seen a snorkeler very far from his flag, but I have seen snorkelers and SCUBA folks without flags.

Jack

I bet he was drunk! Give the guy an IUD! If he was drivinga 25-30' boat 100 yards or so off the beach where the shallow reefs are he really doesn't know what he's doing in a boat.

man, just terrible

definetely they should throw the book at this guy

Iud???

Ok, so there was a flag. It is my sincerest hope that the boat owner is found and prosecuted to the fullest extent.

Without numbers off of the boat, what are the odds that a 25-30 white boat is going to be found and have it be the right one?

Deepest condolances and prayers for the family of the victim.

TwoBit

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom