Diver Killed by Lightning in Deerfield Beach

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You know the one that never ceases to amaze me? The golfers who get fried! Its like wearing wool socks and shuffling across a thick carpet.. you know that there's going to be a shock when you touch something... so why do they swing a friggin metal club around in an open field?! As Mencia says, Deedeedeee!

I don't golf, but I think this is funny:

"If you're caught on a golf course during a storm and are afraid of lightning, hold up a 1-iron. Not even God can hit a 1-iron."

DebbyDiver:
Colin, asking you because of your firefighter experience: is it true or urban legend that you should not take a shower during a lightning storm? And that you should not use a wired telephone or watch TV?

I was anchored during a SI many years back and the boat anchored RIGHT next to us took a hit...fried ALL his electronics...scary as heck. I always carry a spare/portable VHF and GPS but I wonder, would they also be affected if they were on the boat?

As an aside, I once worked with a woman with the surname Kordon who was struck by lightning...she was wearing sneakers and carrying an umbrella. She was OK but it blew out the bottom of her sneakers. I made a new nameplate for her desk: "Flash Kordon." :eyebrow:

Mythbusters did an episode on this very topic, I can't remember the exact results, but you can look it up on the Discovery site.

I was diving off Miami Beach doing my OW qualification dives yesterday afternoon :11: Fortunately we were far enough away to avoid most of the storm, but the captain was a bit concerned about it coming closer.

A great shame indeed.

This is a tragic accident and my condolences to the diver's friends and family. It is my understanding that lightning strikes the highest point. I guess when you surface you're basically it.

CBulla:
You know the one that never ceases to amaze me? The golfers who get fried! Its like wearing wool socks and shuffling across a thick carpet.. you know that there's going to be a shock when you touch something... so why do they swing a friggin metal club around in an open field?! As Mencia says, Deedeedeee!

A golfer caught in a thunder storm "should " not seek shelter under a tree and lie flat on the ground to avoid being hit by lightning. I'm not to sure how many of them know or even do this.

Why we fail to obey the rules of safety about anything is anyone's guess.

Condolences to the family.

J

DebbyDiver:
I don't golf, but I think this is funny:

"If you're caught on a golf course during a storm and are afraid of lightning, hold up a 1-iron. Not even God can hit a 1-iron."

Be nice, I resemble that remark.

J

DebbyDiver:
Colin, asking you because of your firefighter experience: is it true or urban legend that you should not take a shower during a lightning storm? And that you should not use a wired telephone or watch TV?

I was watching the news the other day. The newscaster said that carrying a cell phone increases your chances of getting hit by lightning.

Also, You have a chance of getting hit even if you are 20 miles from the storm. I believe that happened to someone in south Florida last year.

But on the other hand we all live on the edge.

J

JRScuba:
A golfer caught in a thunder storm "should " not seek shelter under a tree and lie flat on the ground to avoid being hit by lightning. I'm not to sure how many of them know or even do this.

Why we fail to obey the rules of of safety anything is anyone's guess.

Condolences to the family.

J

If they've been in FL for more than a week during the summer they should have figured this out already or be prepared to be Darwinized! :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom