Diver lost 15 Jan 2013 Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hear, hear Deb!

Solo or buddy failure???? You're unfortunate!!

Cheeky, keep your panties on and read things carefully before you get all knotted up over nothing.

How else do you explain a disappearance? Let's keep the facts straight. I am not now, nor did I say earlier her death was a result of diving solo or a buddy failure. I said very clearly the mystery of what happened and where she is a result of either her being a solo diver or is buddy failure.

Further the assumption of a death current has no basis in reality. She could have simply had a medical emergency under water, a heart attack, a stroke, anything, we don't know. Unless more information is revealed there is no evidence of an accident at this point and so far their is no indication that a buddy witnessed what happened to her, hence there being a mystery and the labeling of it as her disappearance. It's early in all this, there maybe more information to come, right now we know nothing and it may remain that way.

Hope for the best.

...this shows how quickly things change on a daily or even hourly basis

They have a name for that: the tide

Heard the news from a friend who's in Coz right now.

Below is what I found in the news about this, in spanish.

My spanish is good enough to understand what it's about, but not enough to translate it.

The name of the lost diver is Tamara Laslee, 43 yo, brothers are Peter and Alfa.

Can anyone translate the last paragraph? I am not sure if it says "she was in good health" or something else.

Desaparece turista

COZUMEL, 14 de enero.- Elementos del Sector Naval y Capitanía de Puerto se encuentran localizando a la turista Tamara Laslee, quien se perdió hoy cuando practicaba buceo, en las cuevas del arrecife Palancar.Los hechos se registraron alrededor de las 10 de la mañana, pues a través del número de emergencia 066 se recibió el reporte de que en una de las playas solicitaban el apoyo de las autoridades, ya que una extranjera que practicaba buceo se había perdido.
Personal del Sector Naval y Capitanía de Puerto se trasladaron hasta la playa conocida como Palancar, ubicada en la zona hotelera Sur, y al llegar se entrevistaron con Rubén Mendoza, capitán de la embarcación “Calipso”, perteneciente a la empresa Dive Paradise.
El sujeto explicó que desde temprana hora abordaron la embarcación varios extranjeros para practicar el buceo, entre ellos Tamara Laslee, de 43 años, quien era acompañada por sus hermanos Peter y Alfa Laslee, los cuales se encuentran de vacaciones en la Isla, y están hospedados en el hotel Cozumel and Resort, en la habitación 1255.
El capitán refirió que todo el grupo de extranjeros se metieron al mar para practicar el buceo en las cuevas del arrecife Palancar, pero al regresar a la embarcación se percataron de que hacía falta la extranjera, por lo que dieron aviso a las autoridades para que contribuyan con la búsqueda, que hasta el momento no ha arrojado ningún resultado positivo.
Cabe hacer mención que el clima en estos momentos es propicio para las actividades marítimas, por lo que se desconoce cuáles fueron las causas de la desaparición de la extranjera, de quien se dice contaba con buena salud.

Heard the news from a friend who's in Coz right now.

Below is what I found in the news about this, in spanish.

My spanish is good enough to understand what it's about, but not enough to translate it.

The name of the lost diver is Tamara Laslee, 43 yo, brothers are Peter and Alfa.

Can anyone translate the last paragraph? I am not sure if it says "she was in good health" or something else.

Desaparece turista

COZUMEL, 14 de enero.- Elementos del Sector Naval y Capitanía de Puerto se encuentran localizando a la turista Tamara Laslee, quien se perdió hoy cuando practicaba buceo, en las cuevas del arrecife Palancar.Los hechos se registraron alrededor de las 10 de la mañana, pues a través del número de emergencia 066 se recibió el reporte de que en una de las playas solicitaban el apoyo de las autoridades, ya que una extranjera que practicaba buceo se había perdido.
Personal del Sector Naval y Capitanía de Puerto se trasladaron hasta la playa conocida como Palancar, ubicada en la zona hotelera Sur, y al llegar se entrevistaron con Rubén Mendoza, capitán de la embarcación “Calipso”, perteneciente a la empresa Dive Paradise.
El sujeto explicó que desde temprana hora abordaron la embarcación varios extranjeros para practicar el buceo, entre ellos Tamara Laslee, de 43 años, quien era acompañada por sus hermanos Peter y Alfa Laslee, los cuales se encuentran de vacaciones en la Isla, y están hospedados en el hotel Cozumel and Resort, en la habitación 1255.
El capitán refirió que todo el grupo de extranjeros se metieron al mar para practicar el buceo en las cuevas del arrecife Palancar, pero al regresar a la embarcación se percataron de que hacía falta la extranjera, por lo que dieron aviso a las autoridades para que contribuyan con la búsqueda, que hasta el momento no ha arrojado ningún resultado positivo.
Cabe hacer mención que el clima en estos momentos es propicio para las actividades marítimas, por lo que se desconoce cuáles fueron las causas de la desaparición de la extranjera, de quien se dice contaba con buena salud.

COZUMEL, January 14. - Elements of Naval Sector and harbormaster are locating the tourist Laslee Tamara, who missed today when practiced diving on Palancar reef caves. The incident took place around 10 am, then through the emergency number 066 received a report that one of the beaches in requesting the support of the authorities, as a foreigner who practiced diving was lost.
Naval Sector Personnel and Harbor Master moved to the beach known as Palancar, located in the Hotel Zone South, and upon arrival they met with Ruben Mendoza, captain of the vessel "Calypso", belonging to the company Dive Paradise.

The subject explained that early hour several foreigners boarded the boat for diving, including Laslee Tamara, 43, who was accompanied by his brothers Peter and Alfa Laslee, which are vacationing on the island, and are hosted in Hotel Cozumel and Resort, in Room 1255.

The captain said that all the foreigners went into the sea to dive in caves Palancar reef, but upon returning to the boat realized they needed the foreign, so they told the authorities to contribute with the search, which so far has not produced any positive results.

It should be mentioned that the weather at the moment is suitable for maritime activities, so it is not known what were the causes of the disappearance of the foreigner, who is said had good health.
My prayers are with her and her family right now...

Hear, hear Deb!

Cheeky, keep your panties on and read things carefully before you get all knotted up over nothing.

How else do you explain a disappearance? Let's keep the facts straight. I am not now, nor did I say earlier her death was a result of diving solo or a buddy failure. I said very clearly the mystery of what happened and where she is a result of either her being a solo diver or is buddy failure.

Further the assumption of a death current has no basis in reality. She could have simply had a medical emergency under water, a heart attack, a stroke, anything, we don't know. Unless more information is revealed there is no evidence of an accident at this point and so far their is no indication that a buddy witnessed what happened to her, hence there being a mystery and the labeling of it as her disappearance. It's early in all this, there maybe more information to come, right now we know nothing and it may remain that way.

The fact is that until more info is available everything is speculation. So turn your frown upside down sunshine and perhaps maybe send some good thoughts/prays towards this individual's family.

Google Translate:

COZUMEL, January 14. - Elements of Naval Sector and harbormaster are locating the tourist Laslee Tamara, who missed today when practiced diving on Palancar reef caves. The incident took place around 10 am, then through the emergency number 066 received a report that one of the beaches in requesting the support of the authorities, as a foreigner who practiced diving was lost.
Naval Sector Personnel and Harbor Master moved to the beach known as Palancar, located in the Hotel Zone South, and upon arrival they met with Ruben Mendoza, captain of the vessel "Calypso", belonging to the company Dive Paradise.
The subject explained that early hour several foreigners boarded the boat for diving, including Laslee Tamara, 43, who was accompanied by his brothers Peter and Alfa Laslee, which are vacationing on the island, and are hosted in Hotel Cozumel and Resort, in Room 1255.
The captain said that all the foreigners went into the sea to dive in caves Palancar reef, but upon returning to the boat realized they needed the foreign, so they told the authorities to contribute with the search, which so far has not produced any positive results.
It should be mentioned that the weather at the moment is suitable for maritime activities, so it is not known what were the causes of the disappearance of the foreign, who is said had good health.

The last fatality that I recall in Cozumel was a woman on a cruise ship sponsored (verify) dive last spring...maybe March. Recollection is that currents were somewhat erratic at that time which may or may not have been a factor.

In this case, an unconfirmed issue is that the woman was relatively inexperienced. Stating that every diver is responsible for their safety is accurate but misses the reality that new divers are not capable of knowing all conditions that could be dangerous or responding adequately to all anomalous events.

The March 2012 event was when I read about the Blue XTSea policy of possibly requiring a private divemaster for some divers. Now I suggest that for inexperienced divers new to Cozumel. There is a lot that a private DM can do to help someone new to Cozumel become more comfortable with the local diving conditions. That could include simulating a down current and useful responses.

I do not accept an event like this as a normal and expected event in Cozumel. Unless it was a debilitating medical condition or rare shark attack, it is preventable. Even a medical condition that kills a person on the spot should not lead to a missing person outcome. Where is the buddy?

You do NOT allow a woman to die due to inexperience or go missing due to lack of attention. That is unacceptable and blaming Cozumel dive conditions is a cop-out. If the buddy cannot respond properly, get a more experienced buddy or private divemaster. See my tag line below.

Christi, is it possible that an incident such as this might make a case for carrying a die pack/stick?

I say that this is never a bad idea when diving in open water - especially in an open ocean. Any safety precaution you can take as a diver is encouraged. THis would only work of course if she actually was simply lost on the surface somewhere.

Back
Top Bottom