Diver Missing in the Florida Keys

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bought a SS and a DA for Cindy and I before we made our liveaboard trip last year. Have never regretted having them, even though we have never had to use them.

SCUBAMedicBill, I wasn't there, but I dive with that charter every time I've been in the keys. They are professional and thourough. I know both of the boat's captains personally as well as the DMs. I'm quite sure that they called the coast guard while on site (that's the procedure they give on every one of their briefings). They give excellent briefings and would not take the divers out in adverse weather. I've had to go to other boats before when down there when they thought the weater was too bad.

Thanks for that info. It's still a tragic end, but at least we can say that the crew did their part in trying to find them. It's very erie to think of the possibility that someone would be left behind due to carelessness. I'm happy that this wasn't the case here.

Thanks

Bill

Some years back, don't actually know when, a Key Largo operator left a couple out on the reef, from a night dive I think. The couple's bags were found on the boat that night, but everyone was in a hurry to shut down, so they just stored them. The next monring, the office even called the California office for the lawyers who'd rented gear about them not returning the gear. Later that morning, the attorneys were found on a NOAA bouy where they'd spent the night.

The captain's license was janked, I'm sure, but the operation is still in business today - the only one I've seen now using the DAN Boat Tags to ensure everyone gets back on board.

DAN supplies the Boat Tags at no cost, I believe, but operators don't seem interested. I've seen one other set, but they weren't used that day.

don

go to the family and friends of the victims, as well as those on the boat who assisted in the search.

Its a tragic time for all involved...

Safe diving everyone.

Katt

dandydon once bubbled...
Some years back, don't actually know when, a Key Largo operator left a couple out on the reef, from a night dive I think. The couple's bags were found on the boat that night, but everyone was in a hurry to shut down, so they just stored them. The next monring, the office even called the California office for the lawyers who'd rented gear about them not returning the gear. Later that morning, the attorneys were found on a NOAA bouy where they'd spent the night.

The captain's license was janked, I'm sure, but the operation is still in business today - the only one I've seen now using the DAN Boat Tags to ensure everyone gets back on board.

DAN supplies the Boat Tags at no cost, I believe, but operators don't seem interested. I've seen one other set, but they weren't used that day.

don

A while back on this board, one of the members had an interesting way to ensure that the dive ops would look to make sure he was on board.

He would normally tip after each dive anyway, so he ripped a $10.00 bill not quite in half and gave the captain the small part. He told the captain that when he got back on board, he would get the other half also.

As you can imagine, he would be the first one they looked for after the dive.

Dandy Don,

I believe that there was another incident several years ago, I think it was Australia, where the boat left without two divers. The details a fuzzy, but I believe they were husband and wife. The boat captain only realized when they reached the dock. Notifications were made and they went back out. From what I remember at least one was killed by a shark, and either the bodies or gear were found on the shore of an island the next day or two.

Like I said, the details a fuzzy, but maybe someone else remembers the incident.

Its got to be one of the worst fears a diver can have, being left behind.

Bill:(

I have never been out on a "cattle boat" so I am not really sure how they keep track of divers.

The last trip we took was on the Nekton Rorqual, a liveaboard out of Ft. Lauderdale. Their policy was a signout board, and 2 DMs on the dive platform, as well as a bubble watcher on the top deck.

A couple of times I observed the captain coming down to see who was left in the water and each time the DMs on the platform knew without even looking at the board how many divers were still out.

Before the boat would sail, the captain, divemasters and bubblewatcher would all verify the board, and then I watched the captain perform the "logic" check for the boat...were all of tank holders full. It was actually so simplistic, it was laughable, but to be honest with you, there is nothing laughable about being left behind.

The Nektons way of doing things made me very comfortable with their operations.

I hope that other outfits take the same amount of time and care to ensure that the divers that use them all come back safely.

Back
Top Bottom