Diver Missing in the Florida Keys

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You never know how important these devices are until you need them. I think I'll learn from others experience and visit my LDS before next dive.

Thanks mucho for the tips
Brian

These are pretty compact for boaters but might be a little big for divers. Guess it depends what the conditions are. They do provide good visibility from the air

http://www.rescuestreamer.com/article.cfm

VTernovski once bubbled...
just please be careful when you introduce new "solutions" to problem as not to fall in a trap by creating a new problem. I am against clipping yourself to another diver (unless you are ice diving, which is different), if one divers has bouyancy problems, you are risking to be the 2nd problemed diver soon after.

VTernovski,

Understand your concern. The line is not for use underwater. It is only for use on the surface "clipped together on the surface" to keep us from getting separated should the boat be gone when we surface.

Rickg

rickg once bubbled...

VTernovski,

Understand your concern. The line is not for use underwater. It is only for use on the surface "clipped together on the surface" to keep us from getting separated should the boat be gone when we surface.

Rickg

I am still not clear why you need to be clipped to each other on the surface? to prevent your buddy from swimming away from you? of course not, so then you should be floating within a reasonable distance from each other regardless of the current. Having a line tied to each other adds an additional risk if you or your buddy being entangled in it. If you or your buddy becomes negatively buoyant, s/he may also drown you or vice versa. This is the same reason we never tie a lift bag to yourself. You don't want to be dragged around by someone who is not yourself, and if god forbid it gets caught on something (like a boat propeller) what do you think you can do then?

VTernovski,

Have never had to use these and hope I never do. Have them in case we ever be "forgotten/abandoned" (God forbid) by a dive boat as has happened more frequently than I like to think about.

They are to keep us from being separated while afloat in the open ocean with no dive boat in site:

- in rough seas
- in the dark
- should we be afloat so long that one or both of us falls asleep/passes out

It is easier for SAR aircraft to spot 2 people in close proximity than 2 people drifting in their own little part of the open ocean.

Rickg

Back
Top Bottom