Diver missing off of Manhattan Beach - California

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Really tragic! This reminds me a similar incident 3 years ago at Dockwieler. I doubt it is the same pipe but similar circumstances. Thought it was a freak accident but this is becoming now common.

Condolences to the family. May Jeff Tolly rest in peace.

Is anyone here familiar with this dive site? My understanding is that Jeff got stuck inside an intake pipe for the NRG Power Facility. (Not any of the Hyperion pipes) I saw a report that says there is a grate, but it can by bypassed with some difficulties. I’ve provided a link to the report that mentions the grate (watch the video)

Missing Diver Who Disappeared Off El Segundo While Looking for Lobsters Found Dead in Underwater Pipe: Coast Guard

If anyone can provide any additional information I would appreciate it.

I'm wondering how far in he was found. He may have gotten disoriented in sediment that he kicked up and I don't know if a compass would work in a pipe that likely had rebar all around. Makes you think before going into a pipe.... Sad and scary.
The rebar would not have altered his compass reading.

I remember a news report from the early 90s about two divers who died in that pipe. Another survived in 1996.
SCUBA DIVER RESCUED FROM POWER PLANT'S INTAKE PIPE

SCUBA DIVER RESCUED FROM POWER PLANT'S INTAKE PIPE

Published: Oct. 20, 1996 12:00 a.m.

A scuba diver on a nighttime search for lobsters was sucked into a power plant's seawater intake pipe and trapped in a catch basin for two hours.

As John Vincent was stuck against the grate-covered catch basin Friday night, he drew the attention of plant workers by banging his weight belt on a valve and waving his dive light, said sheriff's deputy Guy Van Sickle.When Vincent was finally pulled out by firefighters, he had two lobsters in his hands.

Vincent, 36, of Venice, said he was diving off Dockweiler State Beach when he was caught by the flow of the plant's intake and pulled through a quarter-mile-long pipe.

"I wasn't sure where it was going to lead," Vincent said. "My heart was pumping. I looked at my air, I looked at my compass, which said I was heading east into this plant."

Vincent was not in danger of going through a pump because seawater flows by gravity into the catch basin, and pumps draw it from there into the power plant, said Ed Freudenburg, spokesman for the city Department of Water and Power. The pipe provides cooling water for power production.

This article has some more extensive and updated information on the intake pipe:

Diver found dead near Manhattan Beach

A man who went missing while diving off Manhattan Beach was found dead Monday morning inside a pipe connected to the El Segundo power plant.
Rescue workers from the Los Angeles County Fire Department’s Lifeguard Division, along with the U.S. Coast Guard and Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department, found the body at 10:38 a.m. in an intake-outtake pipe belonging to the El Segundo Energy Center, according to Spencer Parker, a public information officer with the lifeguard division. The body is now in the custody of the county coroner, and sheriffs are leading the death investigation.
Although Parker’s statement did not name the diver, the Coast Guard previously identified him as Jeff Tolly, 45.
The pipe in which Tolly was found runs from the power plant and out to sea under a rock jetty, then pops up from the sea floor about a quarter mile beyond the jetty’s end, Parker said. Lifeguards have been in contact with the plant, which is operated by Houston-based NRG Energy.
The power plant once used the pipe to draw in water for the plant’s cooling system, but per California law, the facility no longer relies on ocean-water cooling, according to Dave Knox, communications director at NRG. The new system, which debuted three years ago, relies on a combustion turbine, and does not use ocean water for cooling.
The pipe still takes a “low amount” of water twice a week and pushes it out to prevent silt from building up, but was not operating Sunday or Monday, Knox said. Additionally, Knox said that the force with which the pipe draws in water is not capable of sucking in a person.
It was not immediately clear how the incident would impact the plant’s operation, but Knox said NRG was cooperating with the sheriff’s department in the investigation.
“Our focus right now is supporting local state authorities doing their investigation. We don’t want to do anything to get in the way,” he said.
Authorities believe that Tolly and a friend motored up the coast from the Huntington Beach area Sunday morning, eventually anchoring about three miles north of the Manhattan Pier, according to Sondra-Kay Kneen, petty officer first class with the U.S. Coast Guard Base Los Angeles Long Beach. The pair had come to fish in the underwater structures in which Tolly was later found dead, according to Parker.
Tolly’s friend who remained on the boat, fishing from the deck while Tolly went scuba diving, Kneen said. Tolly’s friend called the Coast Guard to report Tolly missing about 11 a.m. Sunday, but it was not immediately clear how long Tolly had been in the water when his friend contacted the Coast Guard.
The Coast Guard and Los Angeles County Lifeguards deployed rescue units throughout the day on Sunday in their search for Tolly. Lifeguards used an Underwater Rescue and Recovery vehicle and sonar to search beneath the waves, Parker said. The Coast Guard were using a 45-foot response boat, two 87-foot patrol boats, and a MH 65 Dolphin helicopter, Kneen said.
While the coast guard continued to look for the diver throughout Sunday night, the underwater search was suspended at nightfall on Sunday, and resumed Monday morning, Parker said. The National Weather Service had issued a high-surf advisory through Sunday evening, with a West-Northwest swell generating large waves at local beaches. A beach hazard statement was declared through Wednesday.
It was not known whether or not Tolly was an experienced diver, Kneen said, but she urged all divers to be careful and follow safety protocol.
The area surrounding Dockweiler State Beach has a number of underwater structures, pipes and rock piles, and as a result is known as a good place for lobster diving, Parker said. But he said it was uncommon for divers to get ensnared inside them, and discouraged others from trying.
“It’s not a very common practice to go inside these pipes. And we definitely advise against it, going into that confined space,” Parker said.

I'm wondering how far in he was found. He may have gotten disoriented in sediment that he kicked up and I don't know if a compass would work in a pipe that likely had rebar all around. Makes you think before going into a pipe.... Sad and scary.
Despite having an ocean side entrance & exit and a long single run with no other major branches/junctions inside, I was told there is a depth change going deeper for a portion of its initial length -which could prevent the victim from seeing the ambient light at the entrance- before leveling out for the remaining distance leading to the power plant. (I've never done this pipe and don't know the exact distance & depths involved)

Depressing to read and hear about this tragedy in what was up to this point a relatively benign SoCal Lobster Season; terrifying to imagine the disorientation in a zero viz silt-out, feeling your way along the inside surface of a large ten-foot diameter pipe, only to realize you're not making any progress toward the exit and not seeing the expected glow of light at the pipe's opening -or worse nightmare- feeling your way along the inside surface only to come full circle, realizing you're hopelessly lost traveling in a useless spiral circumference of the entire ten foot diameter pipe.

Besides running a penetration line and having a viable redundant gas supply -doubles or a large pony bottle- especially if diving solo (single primary black scuba tank noted, but no mention in the news report if a penetration line was used), the only other chance the victim had is if he had a compass and took a reliable heading to the exit (assuming the rebar in the concrete pipe has no shielding effect on the static Earth's magnetic field); otherwise, low on air in a silt-out, he probably chose the wrong direction to start his egress. Another possible scenario would be a catastrophic loss of air (unfixable reg free flow; cut hose etc).

Last edited:
A third possibility is that he ran low on air but just had to get that one last lobster. Unfortunately that's a familiar story. The two things that kill divers are greed and arrogance.

Finding out you are in an overhead situation when you didn't expect it would make anyone very unhappy; even if you are trained for diving in overhead conditions, you didn't run a line from the outside and you didn't come prepared for a dive like that. I can just imagine the ice-water-in-your-veins feeling. Esp. in low vis and if you are not aware that there are things to be wandered into (a large cave opening, large pipe, big hole in a wreck), this can happen anytime you can't see the surface.

We had an incident in Finland where a diver died after accidently wandering into an area where he was under the ice. It read after the fact a lot like he found the situation too upsetting and whatever exactly happened after that was pretty much a result of the "too upsetting" factor.
Diver dies when accidentaly going under ice in Finland

The two things that kill divers are greed and arrogance.
I would refrain from words like these in a case where someone lost his/her life, particularly when the grieving family might come across threads like this. Particularly since comments like these are subjective.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom