Diver missing on Vandenberg - Florida

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Agree. Its heresay, regardless if the guy calls it facts because even his facts are based on heresay (bait shop).

I've done the Vandy in 6-8' before with Capt's Corner. It was a heck of a ride out. I try to dive it at least once a year.

Agree. Its heresay, regardless if the guy calls it facts because even his facts are based on heresay (bait shop).

I've done the Vandy in 6-8' before with Capt's Corner. It was a heck of a ride out. I try to dive it at least once a year.

@ least she's not 100 nm out--------that would make it a bit(more) bumpy------right Wook???.....

@ least she's not 100 nm out--------that would make it a bit(more) bumpy------right Wook???.....

I have that T-shirt. Happy not to be collecting them any more. I'm too old for that stuff.

Acteg, forgive me please if I sound harsh. I have lost a diver too, we never found him. The internet went abuzz (this was before SB's kindler gentler era) on rec.scuba. I hate to see stuff like that posted, unless from the guy he shared his breakfast with.

Your information says 0-24 dives. You closer to 0 or 24? Just curious.

Actually 39 as of Nov 6th... I should update my profile, but I'd still classify myself as a novice and don't portray myself as anything else. I do have a few other c-cards (wreck, nav, nitrox) but a card doesn't make you a good diver.

Actually 39 as of Nov 6th... I should update my profile, but I'd still classify myself as a novice and don't portray myself as anything else. I do have a few other c-cards (wreck, nav, nitrox) but a card doesn't make you a good diver.

I would take you there. Of course, I'd have had you in the Tortugas getting 20 dives previously in the week, and you'd be tuned up and ready to go. To sooth your wife's fears, tell her you'll do the following: Follow the mooring to and from the wreck. Mark the mooring so you know which one is the one that goes to YOUR boat. If you get blown off the wreck by the current, inflate your BC and wait for someone to come and get you. Do not attempt to go back down. Any boat is better than no boat. If you come up on the wrong mooring anyway, get on the boat. Most will welcome you with open arms. We've all chased divers down. There is no reason not to peek in the holes. There are many good reasons not to go in the holes. The main deck has lots of structure above and on it. There will be plenty to explore from the main deck and up. With 39 dives, it isn't necessary to go below 95 feet (where the main deck is), even if you're qualified. Also, tell her you'll be back on the boat with 500 PSI.

The Vandenberg isn't a hard wreck to dive, it's just BIG. It's really hard to see in a dive or 2. There are a ton of places I haven't seen on it, and I go there a lot.

-------that would make it a bit(more) bumpy----

It's going to get really windy down there later this week and everyone is going to be blown out. I hope MCSO is selectively letting it be known they'd welcome additional tech divers. In my area they can't do it officially, but we are are small community and they'll let us on scene to clear and confirm an area instead of shutting down the area. If MCSO has had Vandy closed for 2 days, that's not good.

Vandy is still 140 deep and you need alot of good divers that can handle that depth cause most can't. They still need to cover sand searches 200+ feet away from the wreck.

On one of our incidents, we had 40 deep divers & 2 of the best sonar units and still never found our diver. Just my own comfort level and not for everyone, but no way would I do the Vandy without a bailout pony bottle strapped on, even though its not required.

I heard a version of that story too but until an official report is released, its just talk. I'd say 6-8 ft is about right. It's not helpful to speculate like that because it may unjustly assign blame.

From my limited experience on the Vandy (a pair of double dips) I'd say the current is the biggest concern there provided you're not going deep or penetrating the interior.

My first time I made the mistake of bringing along a friend from CA who only had her OW cert but had a lot of dives in as a volunteer diver for REEF. My plan was to take her on a West Palm drift dive and evaluate how well she did, then two days later do the Vandy. Well, the West Palm dive we scheduled for 4th of July 2013, when conditions were pretty much defined as "King Neptune throwing a fit." That dive got canceled, so my first observation of her skills was on the Vandy. She didn't have a nitrox cert, so we were both on regular air. I played it conservative - 80 ft planned max depth, 90 ft contingency, swim into the current at the start, head back towards the mooring at 1500 psi. Good thing I did that. According to the DM there was a ~1.5-knot current running and it was a little rough topside; she torched through her air and I imagine we only had about 12-15 minutes on each dive before having to call bingo. I could tell that she was not prepared for the current. If you're not used to fighting a current the Vandy can be a rude awakening on some days.

With heresay you need to remember that the more exciting the story, the less hard evidence people will need before they are willing to repeat it.
This leads inevitably to the better/sexier/jucier/more exciting the story, the less likely it's true.
Someone's report of seeing the man drink 2 beers that AM might be the typically embellished version of "he bought 2 beers", or "he looked at the store's beer frig twice".

With heresay you need to remember that the more exciting the story, the less hard evidence people will need before they are willing to repeat it.
This leads inevitably to the better/sexier/jucier/more exciting the story, the less likely it's true.
Someone's report of seeing the man drink 2 beers that AM might be the typically embellished version of "he bought 2 beers", or "he looked at the store's beer frig twice".

Back in the day 2 beers for breakfast would have been a slow start, however I'm much older, may be wiser, now. I don't recommend the practice, but it wouldn't necessarily be the (a) problem. And now should we speculate on alleged drugs, since I've "heard" divers have used them as well.

Since medical events lead the list of SCUBA deaths, I'd start there. 50 is perfect heart attack age, from what I hear.

Bob
--------------------
I may be old, but I'm not dead yet.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom