Diver Psychology - why do we do it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm with you on the peace thing (whoever invented the U/W communication systems obviously doesn't!)

The sleep is fantastic but don't you find your dreams so much more vivid and real after a days diving? Its almost like your senses have had such a shock that your dreamlife becomes a major show down between reality and your imagination!

My wife always has to have the TV on. I always have the radio on when I'm driving. (I work out of my truck) and my two year old is CONSTANTLY jabbering about something. I really enjoy the sounds of silence wheather I am fishing, hunting or diving.

Tom

Granpa! That's because the kids are out of the house and I get all the peace and quiet I want. If there is too much quiet, I can always turn on my table saw! If there is too much peace, I can turn CNN on.

The O-word, Tom,is completely unacceptable! However, I can tell you that one of the reasons I am off to tropical dive sites rather regularly is that as you get more "experienced" (The e-word is completely acceptable) the end of the road is more "visible"...and you do not want to leave too much on the table.

Oh, enjoy your two-year old: he or she will be 36 before you can say Joewr the Regulator Supreme.

Joewr (the Regulator...you know)

I would concur with most on many points. I dive because it is there and I can. Last time I checked and could verify, we are only alloted one trip around (my apologies to those of differnet faiths and beliefs) and I try to enjoy everyday to the max. I have travelled around the world and have doen many things in my life many have not nor will ever get the opportunity. Diving is a geat source of relaxation, a sport/hobby done with a friend(s), where you can be aware of your dive buddy, yet be alone with your thoughts. As a father of 3 teenagers (15, 16, 17) I find I can spend tiem with 2 of 3 and not have to listen to their music lol. As far as anyone here (on the board) being old, I would challenge you all to inspect your bodies very closely.....I will stick my neck out and say no of you have a "best before" or "expiry date " stamped on your butts. You are not old until you are gone. It is state of mind. (ignore the bones creaking).

To be really physcological could it be that we all feel as if we are back in mother's womb, where we felt peace, contentment and safe. Whoa what a statement. Stay wet often. Butch :D

Well, you guys turned me loose, so you will have to catch me and cage me!

Jemima, the Columbia of the Ocean,

Do you want to read about risk-taking (and, I guess, stupidity)? Try Into Thin Air by Jon Krakauer. It will curl your toes and raise the hair on the nape of your neck. Be especially cognizant of one of the protagonists, a Beck Weathers. His story borders on the, no, is unbelievable. I have heard him speak of the experiences described in the book and was even more impressed.

Yep, Butch, you have the right idea. Obviously, you are wise beyond your years! Hey, anyone called "Butch" can't be that "experienced"(vide supra). Now, "Joewr", that's the name of someone who is experienced.

Joewr (Whom you have not yet caught!)

Well Jemima,

It appears there are nearly as many reasons for diving as there are divers.

For me, I dive in spite of the risk, not because of it. The mindset of the "because it's there" contingent has never much impressed me.

The attraction is the feeling of flight, to be absolute neutral and hover above the surface; to me is the closest we can get to heaven this side of the veil.

Your question brings to mind a quote from Jacques-Yves Cousteau himself: "Il faut aller voir." Curiousity is part of human nature, and it's a big motivator for me. I just want to go and see what's there.

"Because it is there" is a great point.

Humans are always fascinated by what they can't easily accomplish, see or do. No matter how many times a kid is told "the stove is hot" they will probably end up touching it. Well, normally diving is 'beyond the rules' without that magical equipment on your back, forget about it. I think that is what gets us into it. What keeps us into it is that diving is more fun that touching the hot stove, by far.

the quirky canuck

I learnt scuba because I could finally afford to and because I have always been fascinated by watching marine life from above (snorkelling) and love being in the water - I was a dolphin in a past life (no offence Butch :p) I also did it to overcome a fear of deep water, sharks etc...

I honestly never expected to be so awestruck (gobsmacked, Joe!) by what I experienced and saw at depth. It's the feeling of floating, flying and basically being at peace with oneself, surrounded by all this beauty, no matter how big or small, clear or bad viz...

I LOVE IT!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom