Diver Signs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The training sounds interesting. I think attending would be a problem with you guys down in Texas, and me up here north of the border. I'd love to but commute would be a killer!

Seriously, the training that the instructors took. With whom? Where?

.......no more so than y'all conflicts with youens. There are regional "accents" in ASL. Also, it is difficult to portray a 3 dimensional fluid language in a 2 dimensional static format.

Walter

All I know about the course is what I re-printed here. Most of the clubs indoor water activities take place at a local dive shop with a pool.

If anyone in the Houston area is really interested, I can find out the details for ya.

Vr,

Thanks for the URL. Those drawings were pretty easy to follow. As I have been checking into as many resources as possible, I can tell you that within those two pages there are conflicts or different means for no less than 7 of those signs. Scary, isn't it?

This site was better than some resources where there are completely different meanings for EXACTLY the same signal. An example is DANGER and COLD. Both have more than one sign. I have also seen the same sign FOR both. Crossed fists over the chest is interpreted as "I am shivering (cold)" and as "a skull and crossbones (Danger)."

I thought "OK" was universal. Now, I see it's a question and not the right answer.

Amazing we are all still alive. I think turning blue is still the sign for "out of air" or does it mean, "I'm cold?"

Regards,

...........as for more than one sign per word, those are synonyms. Much of the meaning in ASL is given not my the hands, but by facial expression. ASL is truly a beautiful language.

Walter

You're welcome. I too have seen different signs for some of the ones there. I like them better as they are clear and direct. You mentioned some examples that have garbled and unclear meanings. Considering that perceptions and the ability to perceive can be diminished by many things, including cold, it is important that the signs be as clear as possible.

Whatever signs one chooses to use, it is important that they practice with their buddy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom