DiveRite pee valve failure

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

aquaregia

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I just had sort of a weird experience with my pee valve. It's only my second attempt at using it, but today it felt like it emptied onto my leg. Upon inspection, it seemed like the plumbing was intact and well sealed, but leg was in fact wet, and felt like about the volume that my body might have supplied. However, it didn't smell like urine, more like dilute vinegar. I'm going over in my head how this could have happened, but even a failure of the balance valve seems like it should have routed urine into my suit rather than sea water (I assume the vinegar tinge is from yesterdays rinse). It did feel like it happened right after I finished, so perhaps there's a backwash effect? This doesn't really match with my understanding of how the DR valve works though, and unfortunately I don't think there's a DR shop anywhere near me.

Any ideas?

Upon further sniffing, I've determined that some urine made it into my undergarments. So, partial failure of both check valves? It is an old valve, but I did just clean it out, so I don't think there's any grit in there.

Balanced or unbalanced pee valve?

I have(had) a balanced DR pee valve, and I was peeing down my leg apparently because the inside "check" valve was stuck open. I was not able to get another from DR. I could pee OK if I reached down, found the indention of the "check" valve, and placed my thumb over it from the outside. However, I just had it plugged and am now using it as an unbalalnced pee valve.

My wife and I have the same issue with the DR duckbill weeping. It's a supple little thing and is very sensitive to how the hollow hex socket retaining screw is snugged up against it. It's a very sensitive design. Mine will actually weep during a gravity vinegar flush.

Yeah, I have the balanced DR valve. Looks like sad panda time.

I want to round up a fitting and appropriate check valve to replace the duckbill. I haven't had the time.

The factory offered to look at them, saying this is unheard of. This thread seems to dispute that statement.

Pete

It looks like the duckbill might just screw out. Does anyone have the tear apart guide?

Edit: Looks like the part's fairly cheap at Dive Gear Express... lets see how it goes.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom