DiveRite Transplate BP/Wing system

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MXGratefulDiver

Mental toss flycoon
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Did my first two dives with the new rig today ... as expected, I'm going to have to spend a few dives getting used to it. But overall, I'm pretty happy.

The rig is a DiveRite TransPlate ... a harness/backplate system with the #55 Rec Wing and single tank adapter. It's not the simple webbing system that some other harnesses consist of. There's a slight amount of padding in the shoulders, release buckles on each shoulder strap, and an integrated weight pocket system. The BP is a standard 6-lb stainless steel, with dual tank straps.

There are some nice trade-offs on this system. First off, getting into and out of the harness was really easy ... not much different than with my old ScubaPro BCD. Once I had the unit on it felt very streamlined and the weight was nicely distributed for the surface-walk to the entry ... carrying the same load as always just seemed easier. One thing that was a nice surprise was how much easier it was getting into my fins ... the harness leaves me with a lot more upper-body mobility than my BCD did. Surface-swimming on my back felt incredibly natural and balanced ... much more so than with my BCD.

Now, the first dive I decided to use the weight pockets (I'm used to wearing all my weight on my belt). I've been diving with a 30-lb belt ... so with this rig I decided to go out with 22 lbs in the pockets. This turned out not to work well for me ... the placement of the pockets was a little high on my body for optimal trim, and so as soon as I started my descent and tried to get horizontal I noticed that the trim was "head heavy" ... making it very difficult for me to remain in a horizontal position without wanting to go fins-up all the time. Over the course of a 42-minute dive, I was able to make some "internal" adjustments to body position and finning style to compensate ... but overall the comfort level just wasn't there on this dive.

The next dive I transferred my weights back to my weight belt and used one of the weight pockets to hold my light canister (perfect fit, by the way). Lowering the 22 lbs from pockets to weight belt really did the trick. Dropping down at the buoy, I was able to get horizontal right away, and maintain a hover in any position I wanted. In fact, during the course of this dive, I really started appreciating my new rig. Balance was nearly perfect ... and now that I was relaxed I was able to notice how much easier it was to move through the water with this rig than with my old BCD. OK ... so now I understand what all those BP/wing junkies are talking about. I can imagine that with a few more dives this is going to get even better.

Now, for those of you thinking to go DIR, this is not the harness/BP/wing system for you. The buckles in the shoulder strap are verboten for that kind of diving. Also the wing has a bungee strung around the inner circumference ... although it would be easy enough to remove if you wanted to.

But for those who'd like the streamlined feel of diving with a harness, but also want something that's easy to get into and out of, this may be a rig worth looking into. The adjustments are simple and intuitive. The rig comes with ample D-rings in strategic locations (which are easily moved or removed for personalizing), the weight pockets can be easily moved or removed (I removed mine after the second dive) and it's just downright comfortable ... far more so than my BCD was.

After only two dives, I'll give it a big thumbs-up. I'll reserve the second thumb for after I get weighting and trim dialed in and can really focus on the advantages and limitations that it affords someone at my level and style of diving. Also, to really take advantage of this type of hardware, I'm going to have to work on using my wing more and my drysuit less for buoyancy control. I played around with that a bit today, but decided not to make too many changes at one time. But even diving it with the wing totally deflated, the difference in how the backplace distributes your weighting is really noticeable ... and in a very pleasant sort of way. By the end of the second dive, I almost had to reach around and put my hand on my tank just to reassure myself that it was really there ... :D

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Sounds like money well spent, glad that you are enjoying your new purchase.

I agree that a back inflate is much more streamlined and it's great to have the upper body movement / freedom.

The bonus of being more streamlined is less drag, more air in the tank and a better dive.

=-)

hi Bob(grateful),
Great report,in the process of getting bp myself i already use the TPII and this product looks interesting can you gives me more details about how the harness is secured to the plate .does the webbing still thread through the back plate in a traditional way ,are the only two break points in the webbing/harness the same as the orig TPII. Will this fit any standard bp or only Dive rite.Did the weight pockets come with it or did you purchase seperately.i looked at the dive rite web site but the photo was the size of a postage stamp .If you have photos i would buy you a beer but that may be pushing my luck:)

Regards,

MAL..

MrMojo once bubbled...
hi Bob(grateful),
Great report,in the process of getting bp myself i already use the TPII and this product looks interesting can you gives me more details about how the harness is secured to the plate .does the webbing still thread through the back plate in a traditional way ,are the only two break points in the webbing/harness the same as the orig TPII. Will this fit any standard bp or only Dive rite.Did the weight pockets come with it or did you purchase seperately.i looked at the dive rite web site but the photo was the size of a postage stamp .If you have photos i would buy you a beer but that may be pushing my luck:)

Regards,

MAL..

The harness straps attach directly to the backplate, as with any standard harness system. Yes, you can use a different backplate if you want. I am not familiar with the TransPac II, so I cannot answer your question about break points. The weight pockets came with the standard purchase, but they were very easy to remove (I already have).

I did three more dives with the system yesterday ... after five dives it's already starting to feel like a natural extension of my body ... :)

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

When you say the TransPlate straps to the backplate like a standard harness, what do you mean? I've only seen pix of the harness, and it looks like the webbing is woven through the backplate slots, then secured by running it through a slide retainer. Is this correct? And is there any concern that it might come undone? Or is it attached some other way? There's no DR dealer in my area, so I might have to order from Dive Rite Express sight unseen. Any info would be appreciated.

That's correct. The only difference is the addition of quick releases at both shoulders.
I've had my Transplate for a few months now and love it.

And if you're worried about maybe the shoulder strap may come loose of the BP, (It Won't) .. You can add a second belt slide to keep it secure. Ther weight pouches are an "extra" ... You'll have better flexibility if you use the clipper pockets or the auxilliary weight pockets (Dive Rite's pockets) than those huge pouches, unless you need a Lot of lead.

I found it just as comfortable as my TP2 but much more stable for the big doubles.

Darlene

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom