Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm still hesitant about the idea of taking less-experienced divers on these trips, but I will note there have been some altered circumstances on the Emerald dives.

First, while in the past Randy has occasionally had DMs/Backup Food Guys, he's gone and acquired a DM with shark-feeding experience (Hawaii and Stuart Cove) in the past few months. There's more supervision now; last month was my first trip on the Emerald with the new DM (Randy was out sick that day) and I was asked not to take my lionfish spear on the dive, which was a departure from the "anything goes" days. Second, the dive profiles have changed - it used to be a routine of one dive on the deep ledge and two on the Esso Bonaire. This spring it's been more frequent to start on the Bonaire and move north to some other wrecks that are in shallower water (70 ft in the sand; on two of those sitting on the wreck puts you at 60-65). On the last trip I did Saturday, the profile was as the OP described - fly the deep ledge above 90 ft and work up, then do two wreck dives in the 65-70 range with a gradual ascent. Nitrox mixes from the shop were pretty high; 35-37%.

Things were getting crowded at the Bonaire. For a while it seemed Emerald was primarily doing the Bonaire and the Miss Jackie (Calypso Dive Charters) was mostly down south at Lemon Drop #3, with both operators occasionally hitting the other sites. It's only my inference, but it seems like the star players (tigers and hammers) were being spotted more frequently at the Bonaire. Calypso has been doing more dives on the Bonaire; a couple days out of the week JASA would come up to dive the wreck as well and on weekends there would also be a private boat doing film work there. A couple of the non-baited charters also still dive the wreck; JDC's Republic IV usually moves in after the feeders have cleared out in the afternoon. Channel 78 got to sounding like air traffic control. Apparently now there are also two additional players on the field; Deep Obsession (formerly JASA) is now an independent charter and will be doing several shark dives per week and there's a five-pack operation that was rumored to be starting up this month (details on that were sketchy).

Like it or not (and while I like shark diving, I'm cautious about any drastic shifts), baited shark dives are an expanding niche up in northern Palm Beach County. It's a question of supply and demand; now the question seems to be will there be a sufficient supply of diving sites and interested divers for 4-5 dive charters (there's also one established snorkel charter and one newcomer, which will likely stick to the deep ledge). I think Lemon Drop #3 has been practically abandoned and with the newer sites and Bonaire being in a relatively close north-south line, it seems they draw the same sharks (I know it's the same tigers and at least a number of the same lemons).

Just as a note, as a personal project I've been keeping track of the "usual suspects" and yes, most of the sharks on the wrecks are repeat customers - four of the six or seven tigers spotted this year have all turned up annually since 2014, and they've been regulars in each of those years (one was more commonly seen at Lemon Drop #3 and apparently moved up this year). Only one of the "newbies" has actually turned up on a regular basis. However, there are a lot more tigers in the area; Bimini Biological Field Station tagged 14 tigers in the Jupiter area in 2014, and as near as I can figure none of them were members of the Wreck Trek Crew. A vessel doing goliath grouper research in May 2015 incidentally caught a total of 16 tigers in the area in one day - only three of those were on the Wreck Trek. That makes me think the wrecks are just where that group of tigers is hanging out. They're seasonal to boot - at least two of those regulars seem to have packed their bags for the summer, and the others will probably follow suit in the next month or so. Some might turn up sporadically in the fall, and then around late winter the crew will be back together again.

I'm still hesitant about the idea of taking less-experienced divers on these trips, but I will note there have been some altered circumstances on the Emerald dives.
Like it or not (and while I like shark diving, I'm cautious about any drastic shifts), baited shark dives are an expanding niche up in northern Palm Beach County. It's a question of supply and demand.

It's a bit scary that they are taking less experienced divers on these trips. With less than 24 dives, you don't have a lot of experience regardless of your cert level if/when things go awry. On a shark feeding, the chances of a problem occurring goes up.

I'm glad they are taking more precautions, but it saddens me that this is becoming more popular. I know the dives can be fun and hell, I'd love to do a cage dive with great whites, but my personal stance is that my safety, other divers' safety & noninterference with marine life is more important than 1 fun dive so I won't do any future feeding dives.

I appreciate you sharing your side of things. It's always interesting to hear other people's points of view.

First, while in the past Randy has occasionally had DMs/Backup Food Guys, he's gone and acquired a DM with shark-feeding experience (Hawaii and Stuart Cove) in the past few months. There's more supervision now; last month was my first trip on the Emerald with the new DM (Randy was out sick that day) and I was asked not to take my lionfish spear on the dive, which was a departure from the "anything goes" days. Second, the dive profiles have changed - it used to be a routine of one dive on the deep ledge and two on the Esso Bonaire. This spring it's been more frequent to start on the Bonaire and move north to some other wrecks that are in shallower water (70 ft in the sand; on two of those sitting on the wreck puts you at 60-65). On the last trip I did Saturday, the profile was as the OP described - fly the deep ledge above 90 ft and work up, then do two wreck dives in the 65-70 range with a gradual ascent. Nitrox mixes from the shop were pretty high; 35-37%.

Things were getting crowded at the Bonaire. For a while it seemed Emerald was primarily doing the Bonaire and the Miss Jackie (Calypso Dive Charters) was mostly down south at Lemon Drop #3, with both operators occasionally hitting the other sites. It's only my inference, but it seems like the star players (tigers and hammers) were being spotted more frequently at the Bonaire. Calypso has been doing more dives on the Bonaire; a couple days out of the week JASA would come up to dive the wreck as well and on weekends there would also be a private boat doing film work there. A couple of the non-baited charters also still dive the wreck; JDC's Republic IV usually moves in after the feeders have cleared out in the afternoon. Channel 78 got to sounding like air traffic control. Apparently now there are also two additional players on the field; Deep Obsession (formerly JASA) is now an independent charter and will be doing several shark dives per week and there's a five-pack operation that was rumored to be starting up this month (details on that were sketchy).

Like it or not (and while I like shark diving, I'm cautious about any drastic shifts), baited shark dives are an expanding niche up in northern Palm Beach County. It's a question of supply and demand; now the question seems to be will there be a sufficient supply of diving sites and interested divers for 4-5 dive charters (there's also one established snorkel charter and one newcomer, which will likely stick to the deep ledge). I think Lemon Drop #3 has been practically abandoned and with the newer sites and Bonaire being in a relatively close north-south line, it seems they draw the same sharks (I know it's the same tigers and at least a number of the same lemons).

Just as a note, as a personal project I've been keeping track of the "usual suspects" and yes, most of the sharks on the wrecks are repeat customers - four of the six or seven tigers spotted this year have all turned up annually since 2014, and they've been regulars in each of those years (one was more commonly seen at Lemon Drop #3 and apparently moved up this year). Only one of the "newbies" has actually turned up on a regular basis. However, there are a lot more tigers in the area; Bimini Biological Field Station tagged 14 tigers in the Jupiter area in 2014, and as near as I can figure none of them were members of the Wreck Trek Crew. A vessel doing goliath grouper research in May 2015 incidentally caught a total of 16 tigers in the area in one day - only three of those were on the Wreck Trek. That makes me think the wrecks are just where that group of tigers is hanging out. They're seasonal to boot - at least two of those regulars seem to have packed their bags for the summer, and the others will probably follow suit in the next month or so. Some might turn up sporadically in the fall, and then around late winter the crew will be back together again.

The one thing in common with most shark feeding dives I've been to around the world is they typically have created a new dive site just for the feedings, sounds like in Florida this is not the case. If I read this right it sounds like they are turning long established dive sites into multiple use sites that will now forever be changed as long as the shark feeds occur there and other diver should beware.

The one thing in common with most shark feeding dives I've been to around the world is they typically have created a new dive site just for the feedings, sounds like in Florida this is not the case. If I read this right it sounds like they are turning long established dive sites into multiple use sites that will now forever be changed as long as the shark feeds occur there and other diver should beware.

Part of the difference is that the two ops that restarted shark feeds in Palm Beach County were spearfishing-focused charters; they picked out sites where the sharks were already being encountered. Not really surprising - sharks and hunters are after similar targets. I had one of Randy's old hands tell me that back before they would bring in the sharks for show, they would chum bulls and and shoot cobia on the Bonaire. The fact that we're seeing the same tigers we did three years ago when the feedings took off - and not many new ones, despite evidence there are plenty of other ones in the general area - could well mean that was probably their turf before the handouts got going. The bait just brought them into view.

So far this year I've actually spent more time volunteering with a couple folks doing filming and tagging on the sharks (well, for the most part the tagging is attempted), and I can tell you that even if you're taking down a canister of barracuda chunks and a block of menhaden chum, getting sharks at the Bonaire isn't guaranteed. Usually when we first go down we might see a few lemons cruising around the wreck; it may take a good part of the first dive to bring more than a couple in unless we're diving right on the heels of one of the feeding charters. I've had some dives where we've gone in after Emerald or Miss Jackie has packed it in for the day and all the chumming and banging on the wreck doesn't bring in anything but grunts and goliath grouper; we figure the sharks follow the other divers up for a ways and then disperse (that, and maybe their palates have gotten spoiled on fresher fare).

i'm not at all a fan of the shark feeding trips. I won't go into the reasons or what we see in this thread.

We don't feed sharks yet we see sharks and go to sites where our divers get to see these great creatures in a natural habitat without humans interacting with them.

I want sharks to be afraid of humans, so I'm against shark feeding. Likewise, I want spearos to defend there catch unless they are in danger of losing life or limb.

These shark feeding dives always remind me of the story a few years ago near a beach in the Red Sea where a shark feeding dive operation was conducted for tourists nearby. The feeders would keep bags of fish behind their back. Consequently several beach goers were bit on the ass (some fatal) as the sharks were looking for that bag of fish behind them. I believe the shark feeding dives were shut down and several sharks were culled.

To the op, I'm glad you had a nice experience and given the fact you started this thread I take it this issue is on your conscience.

Feeding broaster chickens to crocodiles in 2 foot vis, now that's excitement!

Although (I believe that) I don't harbor an excessive irrational fear of sharks, it's a fact that a few shark species are apex predators. They also have rather sharp teeth which are very capable of inflicting damage if the diver is unlucky. That, IMO, are very good reasons for not getting too close to them. And teaching any animal with sharp features that human presence = food is, IMNSHO, not the best of ideas.

I have a healthy respect for wild animals. Contrary to what some people seem to think, Nature isn't a petting zoo¹. If a wild animal is more than half my size, or if it has sharp features, I treat it with respect and try to stay out of its reach. Stuff happens, and when it happens I don't want it to happen to me.

¹ About every second year, some German or Dutch or Russian tourist over here has their arse handed to them by a musk ox which they get too close to while trying to get a good shot with their mobile camera. Every time I read about that, I just shake my head.

Every shark feed dive thread is a guaranteed instant soap box!

It's a diverse issue with a range of places, operators, means, species involved, participant type and so forth. I'd like to try an Emerald Dive Charters trip someday. I'm curious as to what mix of species are likely (say, 60%+) to be seen over the course of, oh, say, 4 dives, and how much that varied with time of year?

Lemon sharks seem to be common participants, at least part of the year (all?), but how common are the tiger? Hammerheads? Does he feed bull sharks?

Just wondering if I ever book a trip back down to Jupiter and dive a few days there what I'm likely to see.

Richard.

Just wondering if I ever book a trip back down to Jupiter and dive a few days there what I'm likely to see.
Richard.

and if you also want to join me on a dive., we'll show you sharks WITHOUT feeding them!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom