Divers Missing - Florida west coast

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The TSA isn't into powders on carry on baggage anymore, either. Checked baggage is where it will go. Thanks.
I flew to Cozumel on the 16th, and in Lubbock they do the inspections out where one can watch - so I do, so I can explain anything. Sometimes they pick up my bag of Moisture Munchers in a ziplock of DampRid, and I explain. I always expect them to look inside my pony, but this trip all he seemed interested in was two boxes of Arm & Hammer baking soda! He swabbed both.

I flew to Cozumel on the 16th, and in Lubbock they do the inspections out where one can watch - so I do, so I can explain anything. Sometimes they pick up my bag of Moisture Munchers in a ziplock of DampRid, and I explain. I always expect them to look inside my pony, but this trip all he seemed interested in was two boxes of Arm & Hammer baking soda! He swabbed both.

It seems the terrorists have learned to make a bomb with powder. It's not all that hard to imagine. The massive explosion at the Savannah, GA sugar refinery is a good teacher of what even a "benign" substance can do.

I have a Halcyon Eclipse BCD, and between the padded area that fits against my back and the SS backplate area is a sort of envelope area. I also have a Halcyon 80LB lift bag and if you fold it correctly it fits into the back area then I clip it off to the butt d-ring. You won't even feel it back there. It stays there and if i really need some lift its there.

So, something like this isn't going to help with flotation? Extreme Exposure

So, something like this isn't going to help with flotation? Extreme Exposure
I think he was talking about signaling.
A lift bag won't help much with any sort of waves. I'd be carrying at least a 6 ft. SMB.
I like my big BC with 44# of lift, and I'd not be shy about dumping weights for more buoyancy - or in case of BC failure.

For signaling, I may be a little overboard, but I carry my smb & reel, a tank powered whistle, a storm whistle in case I'm out of air, a 4C light on day dives, my PLB with strobe, and a mirror.

Mr. Don,

You and I are a lot alike. I have my 6' DSMB with 40# of lift, a stout whistle, a Nautilus Lifeline first gen radio, a mirror and a decent dive light. I hope the Nautilus Lifeline will negate all other needs, but you never know when tech will fail.

Nautilus Lifeline first gen radio
Well, those have failed so much. I'll be embarrassed if I ever have to use my PLB for my own emergency, but if it looks like I'm going to be floating overnight - I want to go nuclear with my SOS call.

I carry it on land most weeks, so if I break a leg in the wilderness, get snake bit out of cell range, or whatever - it's with me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom