Divers Missing - Florida west coast

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This Florida Fish and Wildlife post says that Terry Hayes was found 12 miles from the original dive site after drifting for 23 hours. He is a very lucky man.

https://www.facebook.com/MyFWC/posts/10156562745048349

MyFWC

August 24 at 8:59 AM ·

Diver rescued 30 miles offshore

Two divers were separated from their boat and were missing about 30 miles offshore. Fortunately, both were rescued! Wednesday, the US Coast Guard received word and sent several boats and a helicopter, and the Pasco Sheriff's Office also came to assist. The United States Coast Guard helicopter rescued one of the divers, that evening, but the other was still missing. On the way to the search area yesterday morning, crew members on the FWC Offshore Patrol Vessel Gulf Sentry saw a black object with neon orange in the water. Thankfully, the object was an inflatable distress buoy held above the diver’s head! The crew pulled the exhausted and very grateful diver on board, conducted a first aid assessment and provided water. He had drifted with the current for 23 hours and was approximately 12 miles away from the original dive point!

Thanks to every person and organization that joined in the search, including: U.S. Coast Guard Air Station Clearwater, Air Station Miami, Station Sand Key, Coast Guard Cutters Pelican and Seahawk.

Note: FWC OPV Gulf Sentry pictured in the background of the last photo on the right.

>> I might start carrying my Halcyon Liferaft with me. At least if I'm lost at sea I can be comfy. <<

I've used my Halcyon inflatable raft on a number of occasions!! Nothing "emergency" related but one time just to hang out and relax while waiting for the dive boat to pick-up a bevy of Jap tourists scattered over the reef in Palua. Me and my dive partner were quite comfy :happywave: Usually don't take it on my Caribbean trips but always have it on any of my mid-Atlantic dives. I think its well over 18+ years old and still in pretty good shape.

Bob
Bethesda. MD

Back
Top Bottom