Divers Signaling Mirror

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

harleyxx

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
After reading another thread about a missing diver I decided to get some safety gear for me and my daughter/dive buddy. I bought a couple safety sausages and surface (diver down) bouys with the mountable flags. I also bought 2 small finger spools.

As I was looking through the gear I saw some small divers signalling mirrors. They are small enough to fit into a BC pocket & price is not an issue.

I was wondering though if anyone here has ever had to use one, or know someone who has.
I can definately see the advantage but I also dont want to be carrying around a bunch of useless gear. I'm trying to resist the impulse to buy every trinket and piece of gear that catches my eye....having a hard time though. The LDS loves me I think.

After reading another thread about a missing diver I decided to get some safety gear for me and my daughter/dive buddy. I bought a couple safety sausages and surface (diver down) bouys with the mountable flags. I also bought 2 small finger spools.

As I was looking through the gear I saw some small divers signalling mirrors. They are small enough to fit into a BC pocket & price is not an issue.

I was wondering though if anyone here has ever had to use one, or know someone who has.
I can definately see the advantage but I also dont want to be carrying around a bunch of useless gear. I'm trying to resist the impulse to buy every trinket and piece of gear that catches my eye....having a hard time though. The LDS loves me I think.

Try an old CD........& if it breaks in your BC pocket, you now have one for your buddy.......

I keep mine clipped to my sausage, it doesn't get in the way and could potentially save my life some day. Not a bad insurance policy for $3.

I would ensure any sharp edges are taped off or put on some plastic channeling. Saw a guy practicing one day and cut his hand pretty good with a make shift mirror.

I can definately see the advantage but I also dont want to be carrying around a bunch of useless gear.
Although there may not be a lot of scuba diver specific incidents to quote, signal mirrors have a pretty good record for signalling from lifeboats at sea.

To cut down on clutter, I replaced my by wrapping a few sheets of water proof paper (Durarite) around my mirror.

I have used signal mirrors several times, never during diving though, thankfully. Nothing better for signaling at long distances. Try looking in a military surplus store. The military has been using them forever. Cheap and unbreakable piece of life saving equipment.

Get one made for divers - DAN tags come with them now.

I haven't had to use mine yet, but if I ever do - I WANT IT!

Warning: CD's delaminate and lose the reflective quality.
Your mirror should always have a tether string.

The glass surface of a mask works well, too.

It is cheap insurance, but if diving locally and not going thru TSA, consider Sky Blazers and miniaturized smoke markers. That's the best of the signalling devices.

A dive knife with a stainless blade does pretty well in a pinch, too.

Back
Top Bottom