Divesoft Freedom Trimix: Cheaper and better than Perdix?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

To be honest, @Stoo raises for me the killer point. Name ANY other major dive gear manufacturer that this is true of. Its a REALLY short list.

What's amazing to me is they don't even ask about how you acquired the computer, or when... If you have one, they fix it. Period. New, used, doesn't matter. I have a friend who managed to rip his Fischer cable out of an ancient Predator this spring, when he hooked it on a stanchion on our boat as he jumped in. They replaced the cable and sent him either a new or refurbished Predator without charge. Who does that?

In my case, I bought my Petral from a non-dealer, who got it from a friendly competitor. It was one of those great cash deals, but I don't have a receipt for it. No problem...

I can't help but think that at some point they are going to need to limit their service to computers that are less than a certain age or at least start to charge something for the repairs, but who knows...

As a quick test, I have yet to hear of anyone complain about SW products or service ever, except for some very tiny gripes that seem to have been resolved almost immediately. Name ANY other major dive gear manufacturer that this is true of. Its a REALLY short list.

But, how much of that is deserved and how much is because it has cult status and "can do no wrong"?

I say that because I read (and commented on) a recent post from someone who, I believe, works at a dive shop down in cave country. She gave an example of how great the SW customer service is by using an example where she had to send 3 SW computers off for repairs/service in 2 years. Yes, they gave great customer service. But, if it was ANY other brand, I believe the same story would have read as "these crap computers! I had to send 3 in for repair in 2 years. But, I admit they did handle it well." In fact, the poster talked about being a cave diver and needing a computer that is totally reliable. Leaving me wondering why she continues to use a computer that had to be sent in for repair so often.

Please don't take that the wrong way. I agree SW are very good computers and the company gives great service. I'm just pointing out that I think SOME people have a view of them that is based on hype and Mass Adoration, not strictly on actual performance.

First problems happen. It is how it is resolved by the company. Shearwater has been top notch and probably the best in the industry.

Next, the 'someone' you are talking about is Kristi and Jon from Cave Country Dive Shop, the OWNERS. They are very active divers. They dive a great deal, probably wear multiple computers per diver (I know I have worn 3 Shearwaters at a time every so often when I dive). They probably dive more in a few months then you have since you started. Add in the fact that they are talking about 2 or so computers per diver, this is many years of computer diving compared to your experience.

I suspect that from a technical diver point of view, there are more dive hours on Shearwaters then most others computers on any given day. This builds quite a bit of reliability and supportability history.

Shearwaters are an excellent computer. Failures are rare and dealt with well by the company. They do not battery die on the shelf like H3s, they have excellent and responsive support, unlike H3s and others. I am sorry you feel put out by the technical community, but Shearwater computers have earned their reputation over many years for reliability, being well built and excellent support. Few other computers on the market can say the same.

But, how much of that is deserved and how much is because it has cult status and "can do no wrong"?

I say that because I read (and commented on) a recent post from someone who, I believe, works at a dive shop down in cave country. She gave an example of how great the SW customer service is by using an example where she had to send 3 SW computers off for repairs/service in 2 years. Yes, they gave great customer service. But, if it was ANY other brand, I believe the same story would have read as "these crap computers! I had to send 3 in for repair in 2 years. But, I admit they did handle it well." In fact, the poster talked about being a cave diver and needing a computer that is totally reliable. Leaving me wondering why she continues to use a computer that had to be sent in for repair so often.

Please don't take that the wrong way. I agree SW are very good computers and the company gives great service. I'm just pointing out that I think SOME people have a view of them that is based on hype and Mass Adoration, not strictly on actual performance.

I think there is an element of "fanboy" that goes on, much like Apple. However, for there to be a "cult of SW" there has to have been a start to all of this. I believe that Bruce and co resonate with divers because he started as a diver wanting to build a better PDC for himself. That ethos of designing for the diver echoes through all the myriad aspects of their PDC's. I bit the bullet after waiting for the OSTC4 for ages and bought a Perdix as my first SW. My usual test of a tech product is "can I access the functions that I need without opening the manual?"

With the Perdix, I can. I spent 10 minutes playing with it and I go from OC to CC to BO with trimix gas-changes on the fly and I have still not opened any kind of manual. By contrast, I have a Nitek Q with Fischer connector and it took me quite a while of reading and watching videos until i was confident I could do what I needed to under task loading.

I agree fully that for most rec divers, and probably a lot of tech divers, the SW are overkill. But, if money is not an issue then it will most likely be the last PDC they ever buy

To be honest, @Stoo raises for me the killer point. At the price point of these PDC, the after-sales support is a huge factor. What @Shearwater has done is raise that bar so damn high that I really doubt any company is going to compete any time soon. IF they brought the price down to less than half of my Perdix, the economics might swing me but till then I'll pay the (slight) premium and be happy with peace of mind.

As a quick test, I have yet to hear of anyone complain about SW products or service ever, except for some very tiny gripes that seem to have been resolved almost immediately. Name ANY other major dive gear manufacturer that this is true of. Its a REALLY short list.
Agreed, instant response from Shearwater (Lynn)to the most ridiculous queries(mine)

Agreed, instant response from Shearwater (Lynn)to the most ridiculous queries(mine)
My initial inquiry was on a weekend so it took a bit longer... ;-)

I don't disagree that there is a bit of a cult, but it's made up of happy, satisfied customers. Any business would love to have such a thing.

Most of my friends dive SWs and only a few have had any issues. With my previous "pucks" they rarely lasted more than two seasons before they just went bat-sh!t crazy. Both Diverite and USD/Apeks gave me (through the dealer) the "beyond warranty but send it in and we'll give you an estimate to repair it in six weeks" crap. Who can wait six weeks in dive season? So I just chucked them, probably six of them in total over a bunch of years. Since my SW is now about two years old, I figure I now have a free computer. Even though it cost me twice what a puck would, it's working like a charm. I don't "need" this computer but there is a good argument to be made that in the medium to long run, they represent better value than most recreational computers.

My initial inquiry was on a weekend so it took a bit longer... ;-)

I don't disagree that there is a bit of a cult, but it's made up of happy, satisfied customers. Any business would love to have such a thing.

Most of my friends dive SWs and only a few have had any issues. With my previous "pucks" they rarely lasted more than two seasons before they just went bat-sh!t crazy. Both Diverite and USD/Apeks gave me (through the dealer) the "beyond warranty but send it in and we'll give you an estimate to repair it in six weeks" crap. Who can wait six weeks in dive season? So I just chucked them, probably six of them in total over a bunch of years. Since my SW is now about two years old, I figure I now have a free computer. Even though it cost me twice what a puck would, it's working like a charm. I don't "need" this computer but there is a good argument to be made that in the medium to long run, they represent better value than most recreational computers.

Speak for yourself. I have an Oceanic VT3, 6 years, 760 dives, flawless. I have an Oceanic Geo2 backup, 5 years, 660 dives, perfect. Both going strong, battery change is a cinch.

All dive computer brands have issues at times. Not all are quickly repaired or a pleasant experience to deal with. @stuartv, the people you mention are involved in and cater to people that do long deep cave dives. It is a different beast than you are used to and can be extremely hard on gear. Not all failures are because the gear is "crap", many are because the gear gets beat on and damaged and/or is exposed to harsh environments not typically seen in OW diving. :)

I can buy a 10 year old SW on EBay from the 3rd owner with no papers, drop a weight belt on it on the boat and as far as I can make out, @Shearwater will repair it for me, often refurbishing it in the process. I'm very careful with my new baby but boy that peace of mind is great.

Also seems to be the only PDC with actual resale value.

I by no means am waiving the fan flag of Stewart in regard to his comment, but I'd be curious as to the # of "failures"/unit in use and/or the number of failures/hours of diving from SW (or how that compares to other "technical" PDC's). I have a Petrel-1 and truly believe in it and SW as a company. I am very impressed with the product, and would recommend it in a heartbeat. I have had no issues (though I am by no means stressing the unit), and I am more than impressed how SW "owns" everything and every detail in relation to their computers.

It is amazing how they still support old units like the Predator. Nobody else would come even close to this care.

So glad I made the purchase!

Back
Top Bottom