Diveyak report from Hibiscus

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Divemonkey:
I have a winnebago with very limited storage for stuff like that. When you decide to unload it, I may be in the market for one! Acutally I am getting a used 14' Zodiac from a friend who is not using it anymore. But it is too big to wrestle by myself.

If you do upgrade, keep me in mind!
Matt

It's a shame you live on the other side of the country or I'd consider a trade :D With 2 divers and a snorkeler / soon to be diver in the family, I either need a Zodiak or need to break down and buy another inflatable Diveyak. My Malibu 2 Ocean Kayak is just getting to be too much of a pain to transport along with the Yak. I figure a Zodiak or 2 Diveyaks will take half the space.......

I just ordered the Sevylor ST-6696 two person SOT Diveyak (the blue one not the grey one) and am considering using an extra aluminum 50 scuba tank to inflate the kayak. Has anyone else had experience with inflating these things with scuba air? What LP attachments are required. I have a simple tapered, straight LP inflatable attachment. Will that work?

Thanks

megnin:
I just ordered the Sevylor ST-6696 two person SOT Diveyak (the blue one not the grey one) and am considering using an extra aluminum 50 scuba tank to inflate the kayak. Has anyone else had experience with inflating these things with scuba air? What LP attachments are required. I have a simple tapered, straight LP inflatable attachment. Will that work?

Thanks
You are problably better with a cheap Coleman rechargable high volume power inflator. They cost between $10-$20 at Walmart or Target and fill a diveyak in about 4-6 minutes. I don't think a 50cf would be enough air to totally fill a diveyak. With the cost of fills on a tank it will problably cost more then a small investment in a power inflator. A power inflator will weigh in at around 9oz and is VERY small as opposed to a tank - a big consideration when humping all your gear to the beach :eyebrow:

medical1:
You are problably better with a cheap Coleman rechargable high volume power inflator. ... :eyebrow:

My Diveyak arrived Thursday. It came with a foot pump (haven't tried it.), but I already had a double action pump we use for an air matress. That worked great. It only takes 3 or 4 minutes to pump up so I'm not going to worry about a tank.

We took it out on the lake to try it out. It was nice and stable. Paddling was quite a workout so I took it out on the lake again yesterday, while Diane was at work, to practice.

We are planning to take it to the beach today to try it in the surf. Not taking scuba tanks yet. We want to get the hang of handling the yak with just ourselves first. Well, maybe we'll take fins and masks. ;-)

medical1:
You are problably better with a cheap Coleman rechargable high volume power inflator....SNIP
I looked into the power inflator idea but stopped when I couldn't find the right fitting for the connection to the Diveyak. My dive shop had everything but that.

I lost interest in the project when I realized how easy it was to just manually inflate it with either the included foot or optional hand pump. Knowing my character, I'd probably overinflate anyway (YMMV lol).

If you get this working, I'd like to know what fitting you're using to connect the hose to the Diveyak valve!

I have a question for you Mike. I live in Port St. Lucie, Fl. and I was thinking about getting a diveyak for me and my wife. How hard is it to don and doff your gear with the diveyak. Also, what it the procedure for getting in and out, or on and off, the diveyak.

megnin:
We are planning to take it to the beach today to try it in the surf. Not taking scuba tanks yet. We want to get the hang of handling the yak with just ourselves first. Well, maybe we'll take fins and masks. ;-)

megnin, How do you like the diveyak so far? I would love to get one but would like to know how you faring getting on and off with gear. Do you have the same one as MikeJacobs?

fossilhunter:
megnin, How do you like the diveyak so far? I would love to get one but would like to know how you faring getting on and off with gear. Do you have the same one as MikeJacobs?

I think I have the same one. It's the Sevylor ST-6696 two person.
We put it in the ocean with 3-4 foot waves and had a blast. We did that with no gear because we weren't sure how easy it would be to handle. It turned out to be easier to handle than I thought it would be. We went out and back in twice. Picked up snorkels and masks and went back out. Piece of cake. The waves just rolled under us.

Yesterday I put both sets of our scuba gear (tanks, BCs, regs) behind the rear seat leaving room for the fins and masks up front. My wife was at work so her seat empty. Everything fit just fine. I took it out on the lake with all the gear and it held it all very well.

Yep. I like it! :-D

Hey Folks,

Read some great repor on this ST-6696. I'm thinking of buying one. However i do have some questions.

How tough are these material? I'm afraid it may puncture quite easily. I live in Chicago and do alot of shore diving. The idea of paddling to a dive site with in reasonable distance beats kicking any day.

To me the hardest part of shore diving is kicking to and from the dive site. Alot of leg cramps. I hate it.

How much did you spend for your diveyak?

Is $400 reasonable?

I also would like to know if getting back onto it is as easy as getting off?

Thanks,

Junus

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom