Diving again after a 4 year hiatus

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tess1

Reaction score
My husband and I are going diving in the FL Keys after a long break (four years for me and two for him). We're doing a 40-60' ft reef dive with a reputable dive shop. We've only been diving a couple of times before each, but not with this long of a lapse. Any suggestions short of a refresher course (trips < two weeks away) on preparing for our dive? Thanks, can't wait till we're back under water!

Tess

Hi Tess1,
The best thing would be a refresher course, but since you can't work one in, in the 2 weeks before your trip (are you sure?-some LDS's here will,for a price,run a quick refresher course-at night,weekend,etc.)

If that can't be worked out-be sure to let the dive op you are planning to dive with (in Fl.) know-in advance- about the time lapse since you last dived. They may be able to run a brief refresher course-at least a basic skills review. Perhaps they would let you take a "resort course" as a partial refresher.
If they are 'reputable' they will ask, and may not[should not?] let you dive after a 4 yr break, unless you get a refresher course. (It sound like a strict policy, but I have seen it happen, and they are just being safe.)

Of course any refresher course is in addition to personal skill reviews, and, if you have your own gear, a thorough checkout and overhaul of it.

Please-don't just "jump in" after 4 years- too much is at stake.

good luck,
Mike

Mmmm steak!

I was in the same boat, no pun intended, in 2000. I was out for about 8 years. I went on a cruise and took a resort (PADI Scuba Diver) course on the ship.

This year I did it again. I had not dove since 2000 and wanted to get back into it. Plus, I went on another cruise and wanted to dive. This time I just went to the local lake with a DM and did some skills review. It all depends on how comfortable you are, but I wanted to get into the water before our trip. Actually the lake dive was more challenging due to colder temps and low visibility.

Resort diving tends to be easy and comfortable. Lots of times they will go down and do a tour as a group with a DM. Just let them know its been a while so they know what to expect. I think they always expect the worse in any event. If you are comfortable in the water, and review your text, you should be OK if its an easy, beginer type dive. The way I see it, if you prep yourself by reading your text, and are diving a beginner level dive, your are probably no worse off than a brand new certified diver.

Randy

Thanks Mike and Randy!

Took your advice and finally did find a DS for a refresher next weekend. Pulled out the old gear, checked it all out (and yes, my wetsuit still fits, not that I'll need it in FL!). Now I can't wait. I'll be skipping the steak for oysters!

Cheers,
Tess

Tess1:
Thanks Mike and Randy!

Took your advice and finally did find a DS for a refresher next weekend. Pulled out the old gear, checked it all out (and yes, my wetsuit still fits, not that I'll need it in FL!). Now I can't wait. I'll be skipping the steak for oysters!

Cheers,
Tess
You might consider a skin or 3mm suit for protection from the coral and other stinging critters.

R

It is a good thing you are taking a refresher course after a hiatus. Also important that you are checking out your gear...hopefully no damage, contamination, rust, and/or mildew has worked itself into your equipment. Double check it all...I guess there is not enough time to get your regs and bc checked out and serviced?

I was never in the poition to take a refresher...but, I always, always practice my skills underwater with fellow divers.

Just my 02.

Back
Top Bottom