Beginner Diving in Curacao??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We loved Curacau, we stayed at the Marriott and used the local Goby divers that did both boat dives from the resort and had a van to take you around for shore dives. They were great. Nathalie wrote up some info on her blog with some pictures that might help you get in the mood :wink: She also had some tips on land activities to give you some ideas.

Many/most of the dives were quite shallow. You might want to look at some of the sites, and try and work out a way to do the sites that are most interesting to you. For example, Tugboat was pretty cool. We also really enjoyed diving out at GoWest in the west end with the 'mushroom forest'

I'm sure you'll have an amazing time. Diving was easy and we never had any current to worry about when we were there, and most dives were very shallow.

Enjoy!!

My favorite shore dives - Tugboat, Directors Bay, Playa Kalki. I hear Porto Maria/Cas Abou area is nice and plan to try that this time around along with Carpile.
Also - if you use google maps street view - you can see many of the sites/entry points and the beaches. Many also have dive shops and restaurants on them. You can't go wrong.
We dove both Porto Mari and Cas Abou with the Dive Bus as well as Carpile (it is one of their two house reefs). All the dives were great with lots of healthy reefs with abundant marine life. All three locations are easy access. Porto Mari has more character (cute pigs btw) and better dive support facilities than Cas Abou but was very happy with both locations.

As new divers, we found Curacao to be a great place to enjoy being divers as well as building up skills.. We were certainly better divers at the end especially our buoyancy control but still much to learn. Dive Bus got us properly weighted and became able to accurately controlling our depth using breathing control.

Playa Porto Mari
This is a nice overview of Porto Mari -the content creator has other videos of Curacao dive sites as well as Bonaire.

We loved Curacau, we stayed at the Marriott and used the local Goby divers that did both boat dives from the resort and had a van to take you around for shore dives. They were great. Nathalie wrote up some info on her blog with some pictures that might help you get in the mood :wink: She also had some tips on land activities to give you some ideas.

Many/most of the dives were quite shallow. You might want to look at some of the sites, and try and work out a way to do the sites that are most interesting to you. For example, Tugboat was pretty cool. We also really enjoyed diving out at GoWest in the west end with the 'mushroom forest'

I'm sure you'll have an amazing time. Diving was easy and we never had any current to worry about when we were there, and most dives were very shallow.

Enjoy!!

Thank you so much for the information!!

We dove both Porto Mari and Cas Abou with the Dive Bus as well as Carpile (it is one of their two house reefs). All the dives were great with lots of healthy reefs with abundant marine life. All three locations are easy access. Porto Mari has more character (cute pigs btw) and better dive support facilities than Cas Abou but was very happy with both locations.

As new divers, we found Curacao to be a great place to enjoy being divers as well as building up skills.. We were certainly better divers at the end especially our buoyancy control but still much to learn. Dive Bus got us properly weighted and became able to accurately controlling our depth using breathing control.

Playa Porto Mari
This is a nice overview of Porto Mari -the content creator has other videos of Curacao dive sites as well as Bonaire.
Thank you! I'm hoping to learn too!!

A fantastic week of easy diving is in the books (4th trip). Curacao diving is probably as easy as it gets. We had a great time with our Dive Bus friends, with 11 dives (including a night dive on the house reef) over 5 days.

While "shore lunch" has ended being included, we didn't miss a beat, and packed our own sandwiches (and one for the guide) each day. Snacks and beverages were still available.

Already trying to plan the next trip back there.

The Island is growing/changing...

A fantastic week of easy diving is in the books (4th trip). Curacao diving is probably as easy as it gets. We had a great time with our Dive Bus friends, with 11 dives (including a night dive on the house reef) over 5 days.
Was the oil rig at tugboat gone? That was one dive that I really wanted to do but had to miss back in October.

Was the oil rig at tugboat gone? That was one dive that I really wanted to do but had to miss back in October.

No (sadness), and there is quite a bit of construction activity goin on with the rig... We did however dive Director's Bay instead for the first time. I still like diving under the pier better...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom