Diving alone

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

While there is a difference between Diving and other activities, (Diving being dependant on life support equipment working in a hostile environment). Every day people drive alone, fly planes alone, climb mountains alone, etc., etc. If your skill level is there and your confidence level is there, I see no problem Diving solo. Proper preparation and application of safe and sane practices should carry you through the dive. On the off chance of a medical issue (heart attack, stroke, etc.). You would probably be toast, just the same as if you were doing any other activity solo.

I think it depends on the person.

I've been throwing my equipment on over my head since my first open water dive.

It's easier for me to do it that way than for someone to help me.

I've dove alone quite a bit, just have to make sure you don't run out of air or put yourself in a stupid situation.

I've been on dives where I was running very low on air, and decided to just run out and grab someone elses alternate, for one reason or another (and please don't tell me that you think I am irresponsible, because I'm very responsible), point is, I wonder what would have happened if I didn't have that alternate to grab onto, probably would have had to ascend before I was ready.

I'd say it's up to the person, but that person should think about it first.

DO any of you dive alone. IS it a no no. IF you do how to you get your rig on by yourself.

I solo dive. It is beneficial for me as a photographer, I don't have to worry about ticking off my buddy if I spend 20 minutes staring at a rock, nor do I feel compelled to get out of the way and risk missing my shot so someone else can take a peek.

I waited until I had experienced alot of different conditions. I studied alot and made significant changes to my gear configuration in order to solo safely. Since you are by yourself there is no one to help you if you get in trouble, so you should take redundant gear, including an independent air supply.

Now even when I buddy dive I don't rely on my partner for anything but a good time, even though I am prepared to help them if necessary.

Solo diving is a serious discipline that one should not consider lightly, the learning curve can be unforgivingly steep.

In refrence to the dive log question, I log the exact same way. I only have someone sign my book if they are famous, an instructor for a class I took, or someone I meet on a trip and wish to correspond with in the future. Other wise my buddies name may not even make it into the log, certainly I don't have them sign it. It is my record of things I think are important or interesting. If an OP wants to see my book they need to take my word that it is accurate. Who is to say those signatures weren't forged anyway?

The risk in solo diving is highly dependent upon the dive plan. At its most benign, scuba is only a small step more challenging or risky than swimming or freediving. If you can determine that you'd be safe enough doing those things in a given setting, scuba shouldn't be viewed as necessarily changing that more than a little if your stay shallow enough. Put another way, if you plan your dive within proper limits, you just come to the surface when you want to, and now you're no longer scuba diving. On the plus side you've got air, flotation, fins, and probably even exposure protection and signalling devices - things you might well not have taken if you were just swimming.

I dive solo occassionally as well and I think it depends on your experience in the water, fitness, and mental toughness. And if I do go solo I usually have someone who isn't diving on the shore keeping tabs on me - not that there is anything that they do, but will at least somewill will say "Yeah, I saw him go down but never came back up"

When I first started diving I went with a group of people who had been diving for several years and were avid spearfisherman. Basically when they went down, you were on your own.

Another time my dive buddy was sick and having trouble equalizing so she sat this one out. Having been all geared up I was in dive mode (Sacramento fever) and proceeded without her. Conditions were good in NorCal but kelp was think closer to shore and I was running low on air about ¼ mile from shore (got caught up chasing fish spearfishing) and had to surface swim all the way back through HEAVY kelp. This is where the mental toughness (and the lack of mental planning) comes to play as well as fitness as it was one of the most grueling hours of my life. I remember manually blowing my BCD to help conserve what air I had left to use if needed, dropping my spear - but not the fish!, and cutting through kelp remembering to take my time when I got tired, not panicking, and keeping my cool.

I agree with above post, as you have a flotation device, fins, and thermal protection. I probably would have not made it back from the last dive mentioned if not for these things!

DO any of you dive alone. IS it a no no. IF you do how to you get your rig on by yourself.

Getting into your gear is not the problem with diving solo. It is getting out of trouble by yourself if it happens. Solo diving happens all the time but it should not not be done without a lot of thought, preparation and caution. If you have the training, the equipment (redundant air, EMT shears etc.), the skills, the experience, the comfort and the desire.....I say go for it.

........I've been on dives where I was running very low on air, and decided to just run out and grab someone elses alternate, for one reason or another (and please don't tell me that you think I am irresponsible, because I'm very responsible), point is, I wonder what would have happened if I didn't have that alternate to grab onto, probably would have had to ascend before I was ready......

Is this the sort of thing you teach your students? When you run out of air, your dive is over. It usually takes poor gas management skills to get to that point in the first place but it does happen from time to time.

Yes. I do it and find it the most relaxing diving of the lot. I put the kit on the same way as normal - you should always be able to kit up yourself. Then again i also have twin tanks and so on.

Also agree with the above, its very beneficial if out to get photos - you can get the shots you want AND not bore a buddy to death by staying in one spot for ages.

There have been arguments that any instructor who teaches without a divemaster is essentially diving alone. Who would be able to depend on a raw student in an emergency?

I don't understand these "how to you get into your gear alone" questions. Put one arm in, then put the other arm in, buckle, zip, tighten and whatever else you need to do. What am I missing here?

Aside from that - if you're a PADI diver (I dunno about other agencies), you're supposed to be able to remove and replace your BC, on the surface and under water, without assistance.

Maybe I'm just confused about the question.

As for how to log such dives....um...same way you log any other dives? Again - maybe I'm just not understanding what is actually being asked.

There is a solo sub forum where proponents discuss this aspect of diving if you're interested (not that I'm trying to limit discussion here).
As to the logbook question: I keep two sections within my logbook, a buddy log and a solo log. My understanding is that solo dives may not be considered for some course prerequisites and I don't want to futz around sorting them out and having the instructor tsk tsk my solo activities.
Any instructors want to comment on that (the prerequisite issue)?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom