Diving and antibiotics?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Icarusflies

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hello All;

I am planning to go for a dive this week end but I heard that by buddy is taking antibiotics for a mild tooth infection which in itself is not preventing him to make the dive.

My question to you guys is: Do you know of any problems that might arise from diving when taking antibiotics?

Thank;

From Fred Bove, M.D. --- "Some Adverse Reactions
from Antibiotics...........
Antibiotics can have unanticipated side effects that may affect your diving. Allergic reactions can occur with any antibiotic, but are most common with the penicillin family. These reactions can range from a mild rash to shock and death. You should know if you are allergic to antibiotics and should inform your physician of your allergy.
Some antibiotics cause sensitization of the skin to sunlight. Taking these antibiotics in the tropics without good skin protection will result in severe sunburn. Antibiotics in the fluoroquinolone family (ciprofloxacin and ofloxacin) and those in the tetracycline family (doxycycline and minocycline) are known for their skin-sensitizing effects. The fluoroquinolones are good medications for traveler’s diarrhea, and the tetracycline drugs are good for bronchitis
Many antibiotics cause stomach upset or diarrhea. When taken for a throat or sinus infection, the antibiotic effect may be confused with a gastroenteric infection. Someone might consider yet another antibiotic for the gastroenteritis, when the correct strategy is to stop the first antibiotic.
Fluoroquinolones can exaggerate the effects of caffeine. If you are taking one of these medications, be careful not to ingest large amounts of caffeine......"

Last edited:
The above caution is just general description. It is nothing related with the scuba diving specifically. :wink:

I took the antibiotic for 10 days before taking a root canal job last winter. I haven't heard about any caution on the oral antibiotic for the diving.

I think the most caustic reason is the inflamation inside, not an antibiotic. The severe inflamation generates a gas so that you can get more pain.

Just my 2 bar...

OK... I read the full report at the first link, but it is still general description on the side effect of antibiotic.

My point is there is no specific link how an antibiotic can affect your diving specifically.

An allergy reaction and upset stomach... It is just common caution that you can have without diving as well.

Contact DAN for info.

Non-Emergency Medical Questions
1-800-446-2671 or 1-919-684-2948, Mon-Fri, 9am-5pm (ET)

Antibiotics can give you the runs. If you poop your pants, it might stink up the wetsuit, and then pollute the water.

Certain antibiotics can cause indigestion and heartburns, especially tetracyclines, and erythromycins. Making you nauseated might not help on a boat dive.

Certain antibiotics can cause sun sensitivity and sunburn, these includes bactrim (trimethoprim-sulfa), doxycycline, and tetracyclines.

Aside from these, I can't tell you more.

I was on antibiotics recently, for a staff infection that developed from something I touched underwater. I didn't dive for a week because I just felt so lousy, but then i had to teach some classes and had no problems related to the antibiotics. Hardly conclusive, just my experience.

Me and two other friends went diving a couple of years ago and one was on antibiotics. She got sick U/W and vomited. Like the good diver she is, she kept the second stage in her mouth.
Fish obviously don't like antibiotics because none showed up to dine on the antibiotic chum...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom