Diving and prescription glasses?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WVUdiver

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I wear presciption glasses on a daily basis to correct my vision.

What options do I have for masks?

The dive mask I have I bought from my optomitrist and has a frame that sets inside sorta like glasses. But it's not exactly top of the line and the frame kinda moves around after bit.

I've considered getting contacts, but the astigmatism I have would require specialy made contacts, which would cost quite a bit.

So is there anything else I could do, or am i stuck with what I have?

Thanks

I use a Wintek 2 lens mask and off the scuba store shelf diopter replacement lens....total cost about $100. I also use inside the mask self sticking magnifier lens at the bottom of the mask lens to aid in gauge reading, another $50. Inexpensive and works great!!

I had lenses built for my mask. They bond them to any mask. I had bi-lenses even made for mine. It's great

WVUdiver,

I think you will find this post helpful

I should add that the new mask with single focal overlays is working out perfectly with over 30 dives on it already.

Pete

Is your eyesight more than a - 7 or +7? Anything weird with the eye ball itself? If not then you can get a mask and have lenses put in at the store. My vision is -7 and use two masks I picked up at my lds. I keep two masks because having bad eyesight means I cannot borrow a mask from a buddy if something happens to my primary mask.

:14: :huh:

I use contacts and my left eye requires an astigmatic lens. I just consider it another cost to feed my diving jones. IMHO, its cheaper and more convenient then getting a Rx mask, (and updating whenever my Rx changes!) PM me if you have further questions.

...steve...

You have many choices. You can buy a mask where each lense will come close to your prescription. Close is better than clear glass.

Once I was over 40, I could not read my gauges underwater. Switched to having my distance prescription glued high on the lense, leaving clear glass on the lower part of the lenseto read gauges. Check out www.prescriptiondivemasks.com. They handled my mask. The price was reasonable, plus the Vision plan covered the mask. You may want to ask your LDS for their suggestion. I'm sure someone local would cut your prescription into a lense.

Happy Shopping - Tom

Glad to talk to another diver from West Virginia. I wear contacts for my nearsightedness and have little lenses from the dive shop that stick in the bottom of my mask so I can see my compass. Much easier than replacing your mask every time your prescription changes.

I had a prescription mask back in the 70's, then I started using my contacts wile diving. Contacts worked well for years and allowed me to use many different masks, including full face masks.

The ultimate solution was about 10 years ago when I had Lasik. Since then I have normal vision (actually above average distance vision).

thanks for the replies

contacts were my first try, and i know that they have astigmatism contact lenses, but with my case my astimatism is far worse for the regular astigmatic lenses and i would need a special made set, which would be in the couple hundreds worth.

my bad astigmatism would also rule out off the shelf pop in lenses.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom