Diving and Toys....What do you think the coolest new diving "toy" is?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This is going to sound extreme but how about a rebreather with a sonic disruptor and a propulsion system built into it. This thing would need to be big, about the size of the packs NASA uses for space walks. The disruptor breaks down the water into oxygen you can breath and hydrogen to fuel the propulsion system.

This topic makes me h*****.... and maybe broke.
:p

Sent from a Samsung Galaxy S2, @ Tapatalk forum app.

I actually got it. A Tachyon Micro-HD. Tiny freeekin camera that attaches to your mask, takes either a HD picture every 2 sec or 720p video. The batteries (2 AAA) and 32GB card will do 4 hours of diving. Turn it on before I submerge and off after I surface. It records everything I see and removes one task completely (well I can always carry a second camera if I really want). Best of all it's only $149.

I am most intrigued by the Lynx computer's 'find your buddy' ability; would like to try it & see how smooth it is. Buddy separate is an inconvenience for many, often cited in Accidents/Incidents threads, and can delay find bodies for quite awhile.

Almost as intriguing is the option to put a transmitter on the boat so it'll guide you back there!

Now, as to things not invented yet, I've got one. Photographers, imagine your camera's scuba housing had a built-in depth gauge and could transmit that info. to your camera, which could then correct for depth in automatic white balancing. Granted, this wouldn't necessarily fix the 'blue water vs. green water' environmental differences with different dive sites, but it would at least correct for the known filtering effect of the water itself.

Such an offering would be a chance for dedicated dive camera makers (e.g.: Sea Life) to differentiate themselves from other makers (e.g.: Canon, Olympus).

Richard.

The Lynx buddy finder is a gear solution to a skills problem... It's also really cool and could be a great safety feature. I'm very interested.

It would be nice if they'd sell an inexpensive locator beacon only. Imagine a group dive where you hand out a few locators to the non-Lynx divers, so you can keep track of the other buddy pairs as you all inevitably get separated. No need for pressure monitoring in that case, and they could reduce transmitter cost accordingly.

I have to say the Go Pro 3 Black (when paired with a decent red filter) has been a fun toy for me recently. The innovations and progress made in this field over only the last 2-3 years is pretty incredible. I really wish some of my older videos from 5 years ago, could be as clear as what the hero 3 delivers now. I am perfectly happy using my 25 yr old regulator, 10 yr old BC and my nitrox computer with one button. I am anxiously awaiting some good, inexpensive, 1000- lumen +-, wide angle, compact, flood lights for the camera rig.

The newest model does seem to be clearer, the light sensitivity is better and I think the color is better too.:acclaim:

Ok topping that with this: 360heros.com
Look at it's video here: 360 Heros 360 Scuba Video Underwater in Belize | | 360 Heros 360 Video Gear | Developed by Michael Kintner

IT's a housing for 6 GoPros, watch the video in the second box down and move your mouse around to look up, look down, look left, right and even behind you. (Go slow, I got dizzy the first time...lol)

a bunch of us have seadoo scooters. we usually go once a week, traditionally on saturday mornings and do a scooter run. it opens up ranges that are out of normal kick/ fin means of propulsion. good way to brush up on your navigation skills too. loads of fun.

I actually got it. A Tachyon Micro-HD. Tiny freeekin camera that attaches to your mask, takes either a HD picture every 2 sec or 720p video. The batteries (2 AAA) and 32GB card will do 4 hours of diving. Turn it on before I submerge and off after I surface. It records everything I see and removes one task completely (well I can always carry a second camera if I really want). Best of all it's only $149.

+1 This is a great little cam, I used mine for the first time on my last trip. I rigged mine to the top of my hood so the side of the mask was out of the pic and there were less bubbles getting in the way.

Back
Top Bottom