Diving as a self regulated industry

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not really regulated, although OSHA does have authority over any diving were some form of compensation is recieved the recreational dive industry has not been pursued as of yet...

Commercial diving in the US is considered to be for the most part working / hard hat diving...

The same issues come up between golfball, hull scrubbing, inspection divers... Seem to be slipping under the radar for the time being...

Jeff Lane

Your Thesis seems clear: Diving should remain a self-regulated industry.

For your essay you might consider identifying the affects of independent regulation on the diving industry and how those regulations would affect the diving individual. While the diving industry and diving individual would be affected differently, they are an inseperable entity.

Some questions:
What might be the trigger or event that would drive the government to believe that they should regulate the diving industry?

What has happened to other industries and individuals that found themselves under additional government regulation (firearms, motorcycle, etc).

Regards

I think that one of the reasons why diving has maintained such a good safety record in spite of the inherent dangers is that one of the things that is beaten into every prospective diver's head is that YOU and YOU ALONE are responsible for the dive. If you choose to follow a divemaster, a buddy, or another group of divers, that is YOUR CHOICE it is never mandatory.

We can talk about what other responsible divers in the water SHOULD do to maintain a level of safety, but I know in my head that anytime I stretch my limits in any way, that is me doing it and if it doesn't work out, that's my repsonsibility.

I think when a person is given that amount of control over their destiny, they tend to make wise decisions. When you get in a situation where you are given a false sense of security and others don't behave with your best interest in mind is where the trouble can really start.

Rachel

deanmartin once bubbled...
Your Thesis seems clear: Diving should remain a self-regulated industry.

<snip>

Some questions:
What might be the trigger or event that would drive the government to believe that they should regulate the diving industry?

<snip>

Regards

I would suppose that a trend showing increasing accidents/incidents per number of divers would be reason enough to get them thinking about it. As it is, the inverse is true in some areas (eg cave diving) and the accident rates are stable and low, even considering the advent of mixed gasses, computers and the number of divers who are starting to experiment with deco diving and such like. In short, the training we get works and so far governments seem to be taking an "if it ain't broke don't fix it" approach.

I would seriously doubt if a single incident (event) could lead to government regulation. Bureaucrats in most countries have enough sense to realise that it's a sport with a certain number of potential risks that can't be entirely eliminated. Also, in every sport there are people who push the envelope and pay. Exley, for example, would probably have died -- regulation or no regulation......and that's above and beyond the howling kamikazes you find in every "extreme" sport.

Freediving - now *that's* a sport that needs some government interference. The only goal in free diving is deeper and longer and it's going to cost a lot of people their lives.....

R..

Diver0001,

"The only goal in free diving is deeper and longer"

While it is true some people have that as a goal, the vast majority of free divers are not out to set records anymore than the vast majority of SCUBA divers are not out to set records.

Free diving is a relaxing activity. A very enjoyable method of experiencing the underwater world. SCUBA divers would benefit from taking a free diving class.

Would you explain how scuba divers would benefit by taking a free diving class?

Sorry...

I definately see advantages to learning the relaxation techniques gained in free diving, I think it could be advantageous to any diver...

Kind of off topic though...

Jeff

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom