Diving at Iceland/Silfra

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gkornfeld

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Does anyone have a recommendation for a dive operation. I will be getting my dry suit certification so I will be able to dive.

Thanks

The easy answer is Dive Silfra. Not the cheapest, but full service. At the other end of the spectrum is fully self-supported buying a license on site at Thingvellirit. It really depends on your price point, buddy access, and available gear.

the guided dives are all pretty much the same price, there is only a handful of operators so they operate as a cartel. the one shop in reykjavik no longer rents tanks iirc so you cant do it on your own for just the cost of the permit fee. i would consider just snorkeling/freediving it.

We went with dive.is and the dive guide was amazing. I forgot his name, but he was Italian and was so helpful in getting in/out of the suit, making sure the suit was tight enough etc. totally recommend.

That being said: the Silfra dive for me is a “been there, done it”. Apart from the cool “I’m touching 2 continents” and fantastic viz it’s not that great.

If you have the chance to go north, go to Akureyri and dive Strytan.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a dive operation. I will be getting my dry suit certification so I will be able to dive.

Thanks
I do not remember which company I relied on. Pick one though, that guarantees small teams. Please familiarize yourself with the drysuit. It is a beast to controll. Ten hours with it will make you "experience" so much better.

We went with dive.is and the dive guide was amazing. I forgot his name, but he was Italian and was so helpful in getting in/out of the suit, making sure the suit was tight enough etc. totally recommend.

That being said: the Silfra dive for me is a “been there, done it”. Apart from the cool “I’m touching 2 continents” and fantastic viz it’s not that great.

If you have the chance to go north, go to Akureyri and dive Strytan.
Strytan dive centre is great also

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom