Diving at Public Beaches

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

When I dive from popular beaches, kids come up to me to ask questions all the time. It's great to be an ambassador to the sport of scuba diving and to answer any question the kids or aspiring divers may have.

One of my all time favorite salt water dives is a beach dive.
It is at LBTS "Lauderdale by the Sea" in SE Florida.
It's a pretty short swim to where the reef grazes the coastline.

Most of the shore diving in SoCal is from public beaches. We often get asked what we see down there, so my fiancee made some laminated photo I.D. cards with dozens of our photos of the local marine life on them.

That's cool idea Max! I do shore diving on an almost daily basis, and it is fun to play ambassador for the sport. It's especially cool to talk to children about it. I will admit to some frustration when diving in a place like Shark's Cove NS Oahu when people set up their beach towels in the middle of the path or obliviously cut divers off as they are walking up and down to the beach. This is one of those beaches where most people going are either free-diving or scuba diving. I remember as a kid watching divers enter and exit off the coast of Maine and I am sure pestering those divers with a million questions.

We truly have a great sport.

Michael

In Pensacola, diving from public beach is okay, but no spearfishing. In fact, the county just put in 2 artificial reefs - 1 in about 12 feet of water on the sound side of Pensacola beach, and one slightly deeper (about 15-20) off a public beach at park east.

Venice Beach Florida is a great spot for beach diving. Most of the locals know what you are there for; Meg teeth.

I've always wondered what sort of loot you would find with a metal detector at public swim areas.

I know a few UW detectors out in Hawaii and I can answer your question with two words, "A lot". UW detecting is considered one of the best ways to find some great loot if you can afford it and have the skills to do so.

In Pensacola, diving from public beach is okay, but no spearfishing. In fact, the county just put in 2 artificial reefs - 1 in about 12 feet of water on the sound side of Pensacola beach, and one slightly deeper (about 15-20) off a public beach at park east.

Yes, I totally understand the no spearo rule. But it seems CT is out of step in prohibiting diving from public beaches.

Usually there is no problem with diving at a public beach unless there are signs posted and I have had a lifeguard ask me not to enter around the other people. I've done only a few dives but one of mine at public beaches I was just going to swim up to about 3 feet, but in about 5 feet of water I had a teenager swim over me and kick my head with their foot so that's the only hazard really is the clutter of people.

I know national parks are usually pretty good about beach dives and really what I would suggest is going to the lifeguard station for the beach(not the lifeguard stands) or if you're in a state/national park ask the people who work the main gate.

Heck I diddn't know there was an alternative when shore diveing to doing it from public beaches -shows what I know :D

Heck I diddn't know there was an alternative when shore diveing to doing it from public beaches -shows what I know :D

Same here. But in N.S. you just dive wherever you want. No boats, no "public" beaches, parks or lifeguards. Gee, I never knew this may be a reason I left N.Y. for Canada in '77. I come back here to NY/LI/NJ each summer and cringe at the "rules".

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom