Diving Budy a Rule or Law

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey .. yeah put a post here, and If I am free I will hook up with you to dive the Connie (or even the Galop Canal to Connie Drift Dive).

As for diving solo, I have been tempted in the past (especially when it comes to diving an area I know so well), but have always succumbed to my better judgement (The little angel on my shoulder as opposed to the devil dale on the other). I think divers tend to get cocky when it comes to diving thinking they can handle anything. I would rather take a buddy along and not need him, than not to take one along and need him.

Dale

seahunter once bubbled...
Jeez bubble! Give the guy a break!

He won't even be able to find the pressure in bars on his tank.
At one time BAR appeared but now just the number (207, 184, etc) is stamped with no indication that it's the pressure rating.

You can be technically correct but practically a "pain in the ass".

No diver or retailer in the scuba business in North America has any influence over the manufacture or the stamping of scuba cylinders. You are right that tanks made since 1993 have TC and the pressure in BAR but that's not the divers choice. He probably has no idea what that's all about. Most store owners don't either. They just buy the tanks and then sell them to the divers. Whatever is current that year is what goes around the system.

Tanks that are older than 1993 are still perfectly fine to use (assuming of course they're in test).
So what was the point of adding one more unnecessary anxiety item to scubapest's list?
Come on Sea Hunter, you can bait me better than that. If you want I can come in and explain tank markings to your staff. LOL :D requirements for markings CSA B-339 & 340, TDG

Well folks, thanks again for all the help & tips. Hope to be there early Sunday afternoon for a little wet fun. Maybe I'll see you there!:)

Maybe I'll invite you in for our monthly Pro Night where we have an expert in some field of scuba give us a chat and then submit to a Q&A session.
Do you think you qualify?
Are you really up to a question and answer session with the S2K staff who are as persnickety as myself?

My point was that the poor guy bought a good scuba tank at some dive store in North America. He's likely been keeping it hydroed and visualled (every 6 months if he's from Florida) and you're creating the impression that he has to do something special to use it in Canada?!!

Every tank you have came from his country!!!!

Not to worry anymore about the tanks! Didn't mean to start a feud, in Canada, among friends. The dive is behind me now and no one stopped me along the way to check anything. Not even customs - going in or going out. Great place and a great day. Thanks again. BTY, I was planning on the Rothesay next, but someone told me it's not worth the swim. Anyone else have a thought on this?

Bubble Boy once bubbled...

Come on Sea Hunter, you can bait me better than that. If you want I can come in and explain tank markings to your staff. LOL :D requirements for markings CSA B-339 & 340, TDG

BubbleBoy... if I come to your shop, can I be assured that all your gauges are metric? I guess what I mean is, do you conform to the letter of the law... sorry, regulations.

Using metric measurements, simplifies the math, makes sense and conforms to Canada's stated standard of measurement;however, I have yet to find a scuba store in Ontario, BC, Quebec, Nova Scotia, or New Brunswich -- the only provinces in which I've dove -- that can deliver my fills to me in bar... seems most Canadians think that BAR stands for British American Racing... an organization that fields a pretty poor Formula One Team.

Just my two cents

Scubapest once bubbled...
Not to worry anymore about the tanks! Didn't mean to start a feud, in Canada, among friends. The dive is behind me now and no one stopped me along the way to check anything. Not even customs - going in or going out. Great place and a great day. Thanks again. BTY, I was planning on the Rothesay next, but someone told me it's not worth the swim. Anyone else have a thought on this?
If you liked the Connie you will enjoy the Rothesay more. Lots of pike on the wreck, a go hut on shore, with a changing area.

Scubapest once bubbled...

If you can share a few bucks $40.00 USD)....a charter doing the Lillie and Gaskin would probably be your next best bet.

NetDoc once bubbled...
when the water temps hit 72 (22C for you Nucks) or warmer!

gee doc, it might be awhile then.... I'm sure we'd all find a way of keeping you warm :D

Back
Top Bottom