Diving Compass

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am looking to get a compass for diving. I have used them in College (Geology Major) and comfortable using them and keeping bearing with them. I have not taken a Nav course but plan to once the weather gets better and the water gets warmer. I was wondering from different people what the benefit of a wrist mount and a retractable one is. I think that a retractable one would possibly fall down into the way versus a wrist mount. I have a wrist mount computer now and I love it and would not have done it any other way. I feel like that the wrist mounted compass would have a benefit over the retractable one that would clip on the BCD.

Any feedback would be great.

I prefer a wrist mount though lately I just use a strap mount on my computer unless I know I need more serious navigation capability. I also am (was) a geologist, M.S. Geoscience.

N

I have an SK7 that is in a DSS bungee mount bolted (brass) to a small slate on a retractor. I extended the lubber line on the slate which, I believe, helps with the accuracy. When I need it I can hold it where I want it and can make notes as necessary. Should I change my mind, I can reconfigure.

Bob

Ok, two things...

2) I made my way through the various ways to stow my compass (sk7) and I have settled on my current configuration the longest way around. I wear a DSS boot bungee on my wrist. If precision is needed I can slide it forward over my thumb and close my fist around the bungee cords. This gives me the steady NAV that makes an old Soldier feel good. Easily stowed back on wrist, still able to be used in cross arm swimming manner and stays the heck out of the way.

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

derogatory remark removed -- green zone rules

Last edited by a moderator:
A quick summary of advantages and disadvantages of different methods ...

Console mount
Advantage is that it's located in a convenient place, along with all of your other gauges.
Disadvantage is that the length of the hose to your SPG will usually restrict the motion of the console, making use of the compass more difficult than it needs to be.
Potential disadvantage will stem from how you choose to stow your console, which will determine how readily available your compass will be when you need to use it.

Retractor mount
Advantage is the compass is easily reachable, and can easily be handled to orient in whatever manner you want it to be, often making it the easiest method for sighting the lubber line and reading the heading.
Disadvantage is that retractors tend to wear out, turning your compass into a danglie ... and they're not cheap to replace.
Potential disadvantage is that some BCDs don't give you a very good place to clip it off, and no matter where you put it, it'll be in the way of something else you'll want to reach for.

Wrist mount
Advantage is the compass is always right where you can see it, and readily deployed when you choose to use it.
Disadvantage is that learning how to sight the lubber line without some degree of "offset" due to the placement of your arm takes practice.

Slate mount
Advantage is the same as the retractor mount without the disadvantage inherent in the retractor.
Disadvantage is that you have to stow it somewhere and pull it out when you need to use it.
Potential disadvantage is that you might not be able to stow it readily, depending on how useful your BCD pockets happen to be.

As you can see, which works best for you is going to depend which configuration works best with your other equipment choices, as well as personal preference.

The reason folks are recommending the Suunto SK7 is because a compass has to be held relatively flat in order for the compass card to rotate freely. The SK7 gives you about 30 degrees of tilt before this becomes an issue. Most other compasses give you less ... some far less. The SK7 is one of the more expensive compasses on the market, and this is the reason why.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I'm looking for a compass, too. The Suunto SK7 is considered tops, but it's pricey at around $70. What do people think of these in the link below? I don't know who manufactures them or if they can be found elsewhere under some brand name, but Dive Gear Express sells them (with bungee mount included):

Underwater Navigation Compasses - Dive Gear Express

The "Deluxe Pro" from DGX is $59, which is a good $10 less than the Suunto SK7.

I'm looking for a compass, too. The Suunto SK7 is considered tops, but it's pricey at around $70. What do people think of these in the link below? I don't know who manufactures them or if they can be found elsewhere under some brand name, but Dive Gear Express sells them (with bungee mount included):

I have no experience with that compass, but the specifications seem to match up pretty well with the SK7. 30 degree tilt and a large window. The two main features that I like the best about the SK7.

But as far as SK7 being expensive, you really just have to keep an eye out for them.

My first one I bought from another diver right here on SB. $55 shipped in a DSS bungee mount. Although it was "used", you would never have known it.

I just bought a second one on ebay for $51 shipped. Also in a DSS bungee mount and this one is new.

I have 2 of the Tech one $39, works perfectly for me.

The Deluxe Pro is an SK7 in a DSS mount ... which is an excellent price for that gear.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

The Deluxe Pro is an SK7 in a DSS mount ... which is an excellent price for that gear.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Although very similar in features, how do you figure it is an SK7?

Neither the bezel or the card are the same.

Did Suunto modify it and release it as an OEM?

Although very similar in features, how do you figure it is an SK7?

Neither the bezel or the card are the same.

Did Suunto modify it and release it as an OEM?

Suunto doesn't make the compass ... it comes from a third party, in Italy I believe, and gets branded as a Suunto. Other compasses coming out of the same factory ... like the one you're looking at ... get made to the same specifications, with minor cosmetic changes and a different brand name.

Lots of scuba gear ... SPGs, regulators, and masks, for example ... are manufactured basically the same way ... there are only a few scuba equipment manufacturers who actually "manufacture" their own gear. Most outsource it.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Back
Top Bottom