Diving Compass

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

would a computer with a compass integrated into them what would be the one to lean towards?

My dive computer has an integrated digital compass and it actually very good, but I prefer not to switch my computer display to use the compass. Most of the time all I need is a quick glance at the compass and find that having a stand alone wrist unit is more effective by far.

Yep.
For a long surface swim you can go forward but will either need a snorkel or reg, if using a rear inflate bc, and the waves will often slap you in the face. Swimming backwards allows you to inflate the bc and rest while you kick. The problem being, of course, you can't see where you are going. So you use the compass as Bob said to follow the bearing in the side window, a reciprocal or back bearing from the direction you are facing. Then you only need turn once in while to check on your progress. Of course, this is not a high traffic, unknown debris sort of tactic.

It's very relaxing and I often fall asleep while doing so. What I try for is to position myself directly behind my buddy while gently placing my fin tips on his/her tank. Then, they kick us both out without knowing I am there and I catch a few winks before the dive begins.

Yep.
What I try for is to position myself directly behind my buddy while gently placing my fin tips on his/her tank. Then, they kick us both out without knowing I am there and I catch a few winks before the dive begins.

... and your dive buddy wonders why you're calling him "scooter" ... :wink:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I'd be careful about doing that. On the surface, you should see your destination (how else will you get a good bearing?), and it'd probably be easist to swim facing it. Underwater; you don't want to be swimming backwards for too long underwater. It's a great way to collide headfirst with that fire coral encrusted coral head....or that lionfish.
This didn't have anything to do with swimming backwards under water. We have lots of surface swims to do here in California as well. It is much easier to do a long swim, leaning back and kicking. I tend to veer toward my left when I do that and am constantly changing my course back to my target. Obviously you will still want to look back at times, but with this method, it will be much less and I should be right on course

That feature isn't unique to Suunto ... most diving compasses have a side window, and it's not just for surface swimming, it's for reading the compass while you're swimming.
In the old days compasses often came mounted on a card that you held in both hands while using, looking down onto the top glass to read the compass. Most compasses today are designed to either be worn on the wrist or mounted to a console, where you hold the compass in front of you and sight down the lubber line like a gun sight. The side window accommodates this method of using the compass. I like Suunto's design, because they make the window large and easy to read ... but it's not "their" design, it's just how the compass is generally designed to be read. Not all diving compasses are designed this way, but I think the ones that are tend to be easier to use ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Yes, I would think that most, if not all, compasses have the window. The question is if they are usable.
I had made a point of that last year. http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/advanced-scuba-discussions/456596-compass-advice-3.html#post6775116

We have lots of surface swims to do here in California as well.

Oh goodness gracious yes you do ... I haven't done much diving in NorCal, except for one trip to Monterey a bunch of years ago. And the surface swim out at Lobos and Monastery weren't too bad. But one of my SoCal forays took me to Laguna ... Crescent Bay ... to a place called Deadman's Wall. It was a true test of how much you wanted to dive. First we had to walk about a quarter mile from where we parked to the beach ... then down the beach about 100 yards to where some rocks served as a natural break against the surf ... then kick out through the surf zone ... and beyond. After about a 20 minute kick we arrived out over the wall. It was a fantastic dive ... and well worth the effort. But snorkeling wouldn't have been possible in those waves, and if we were breathing off our regs we'd have used up half our tank before we even descended. Kicking backwards put us just enough out of the water to be able to breathe ... after getting the hang of not breathing when a wave went crashing over your head ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Whats a cheek weld?
It is a marksmanship term; it refers to placing your cheek solidly on the stock of your rifle so your head doesn't move as you aim and fire (and you return your head to the same position if you lift it) so that you maintain the same sight picture while using open sights.

The Army uses the same term to refer to using a two-hand hold on a compass and holding it up to your face so that you can use the sighting wire to gain a bearing on your target...just like sighting a rifle; you don't want the compass to twist or shift.

th

With a retractor mounted compass, the same principle can be excuted to shoot a bearing to your destination. It becomes harder with a console, slate or wrist mounted compass.

For a long surface swim you can go forward but will either need a snorkel or reg, if using a rear inflate bc, and the waves will often slap you in the face. Swimming backwards allows you to inflate the bc and rest while you kick.
Any time you are surface swimming, you should have a reg or snorkel in your mouth. Doing otherwise is asking for trouble.

The other option to using your compass is to turn your head and adjust your path every so often. This way you don't look silly using your compass to swim 100 yards to the boat.

Any time you are surface swimming, you should have a reg or snorkel in your mouth. Doing otherwise is asking for trouble.

The other option to using your compass is to turn your head and adjust your path every so often. This way you don't look silly using your compass to swim 100 yards to the boat.

I would look silly using my compass to swim to a boat during a shore dive wouldn't I :wink:
Many Howe sound dives are shore entry with minimal surf but longish surface swims to the descent point.

A lot of people lose the snorkel around here after a bit of time in the water. For me it interferes with the long hose. I do use one occasionally but usually when I'm either vintage diving or specifically planning a surface swim in that style (often a shore traverse at the end of a dive where I want to observe the littoral zone). Otherwise, I have not suffered from an oral fixation since quitting smoking.

In terms of cheek welding, I have never seen someone use that style of compass (though I know it well), or that technique UW. Most navigation needs are not that specific and vis limits the practicality of sighting distant reference points. I have found the cardinal points to be the working points for 99% of my dives. Which way in, which way out etc... in low vis. I rarely follow specific bearings (a few exceptions) because veering due to kick discrepancy decreases accuracy anyway.

There are a few shore access dives that we do using specific bearings. In this case I also want to know the depth (usually of a wreck like the VT-100). Then I can follow the bearing to the depth, turn, and follow the depth contour rightward to the wreck. This is because my right leg is stronger and naturally pushes me to the left of the intended bearing. In low vis, following a precise bearing is (practically) next to impossible because you have no reference point to fix on, so you have to anticipate the variance and work it into your plan. If you're good you can go pretty straight by looking at the compass but usually there is a sawtooth effect of variation and correction that can put you out over distance. In 5' vis that may take you right past the intended destination.

If I were teaching someone new how to navigate I would tell them to do a good job but not to put themselves in positions where they need to rely solely on compass/user precision. Either avoid those dives until competency is adequate or accept the lack of accuracy inherent in the tool have a compensatory technique available.

But what are these degrees? Is it a temperature? I'm used to working in Mils

Last edited:
In terms of cheek welding, I have never seen someone use that style of compass (though I know it well), or that technique UW.

I have a retractor mount compass; a few times in the Keys I've surfaced way far from the boat, shot a bearing and went back down to dive back to the boat.

But what are these degrees? Is it a temperature? I'm used to working in Mils
Well, aren't you just a special little gun-bunny!:D:D:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom