Diving Compass

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have an SK7 wrist mount that I've converted to retractor. Didn't like it on my wrist - the retractor is by far best for me.

The Deluxe Pro is an SK7 in a DSS mount ... which is an excellent price for that gear.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

OK, I need to come back and correct what I said earlier. I was ordering some other items from DGE, and so on a whim I ordered the Deluxe Pro compass.

While this compass and mount look much like the SK7 in a DSS mount, it is neither. The compass is a slightly higher profile than the SK7, and the mount is just enough different from the DSS that it's clearly a knock-off.

How it performs underwater remains to be seen ... I'm going on a four-day dive trip in a couple weeks. I plan to put a dozen or so dives on it then and find out.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I have a wrist mounted compass (my vote). I like if because I always hold it the same way all the time, so I get used to having the bearings with identical deflection. When I set the bearing I know exactly where I will come up. I have one mounted on the computer and I never touch it (came as part of the package). I don't care for dangly stuff, and try to keep those to a minimum.

It's very relaxing and I often fall asleep while doing so. What I try for is to position myself directly behind my buddy while gently placing my fin tips on his/her tank. Then, they kick us both out without knowing I am there and I catch a few winks before the dive begins.

I once was on a canoe trip with a class of students and decided to do a plankton tow off the back of the canoe on the paddle home. One girl complained that it seemed like a lot more work paddling home than it was paddling out. I told her it was because we were going against the tide. A teacher in the next canoe over almost died laughing....

OK, I need to come back and correct what I said earlier. I was ordering some other items from DGE, and so on a whim I ordered the Deluxe Pro compass.

While this compass and mount look much like the SK7 in a DSS mount, it is neither. The compass is a slightly higher profile than the SK7, and the mount is just enough different from the DSS that it's clearly a knock-off.

In another thread, which I couldn't find readily (or I would post a link), I saw side-by-side photos of an SK-7 and what I think was a DSS Deluxe Pro. The looked slightly different, and the SK-7 had a bigger side window. That tipped me in favor of the SK-7. But I ordered the DSS bungee mount.

In this case the Deluxe Pro has the bigger window ... and it's not DSS. The mount it comes in is a knock-off of the DSS wrist mount.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

In this case the Deluxe Pro has the bigger window ... and it's not DSS. The mount it comes in is a knock-off of the DSS wrist mount.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I've given DSS plenty of business lately, and as far as I understand DSS sells the mount only--not the Suunto SK7 itself. I wouldn't mind saving a few bucks if the DGE Deluxe Pro turns out to be a good buy. Let us know how you liked it.

So that compass must be different from the one in the picture I saw in which the SK-7 had the bigger window.

What's odd is that DSS is selling a product with a knock-off of their wrist mount!

So that compass must be different from the one in the picture I saw in which the SK-7 had the bigger window.

What's odd is that DSS is selling a product with a knock-off of their wrist mount!

I think you might be getting DSS and DGE confused. Dive Gear Express was the one selling the compass with the knock off bungee mount.

Underwater Navigation Compasses - Dive Gear Express

I think that picture you are referring to was from this post: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/advanced-scuba-discussions/456596-compass-advice-3.html#post6775116

The compass on the left is a cheap $35 compass from Storm. I had taken off the wrist straps and rigged up a bungee.

Yes, you're right. I was confusing the two. And the picture you linked to was the one I had in mind.

Thanks for clearing all that up for me.

Now that I've used the DGE compass a bunch of times I'll revisit with a review.

First off, here's a picture of the two compasses next to each other ... the DGE Deluxe Pro on the left and the Suunto SK7 with DSS mount on the right ...

compasses.jpg

As you can see, the DGE compass has a slightly higher profile, a larger window, and I found it easier to read in low light conditions ... the card numbers just seem easier on my (old) eyes.

The SK7 is slimmer and has more calibrations between numbers.

I found them to be equally satisfactory in terms of how much "tilt" you can have and still get an accurate reading.

The SK7 with DSS mount typically sells for around $80 ... the DGE Deluxe Pro is $60.

For my money, I like the DGE better ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom